Thread: Wanted: Scope mount for French MAS 49/56

Wanted: Scope mount for French MAS 49/56

I'd like an original military OR aftermarket or even custom dovetailed scope mount for a 7.5 French MAS 49/56 auto rifle. I need the mount only, unless paired with a late model scope(?) or uber-affordable mount/scope combo.

thanks,

Jason G in Amarillo, TX >

Jack A Sol

Re: Wanted: Scope mount for French MAS 49/56

KVAR sell them. best available.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/home.php?cat=345

when they get them in stock, these are the ones to get. call them on the phone, they may have one laying around for you.

Jason, I have two 49-56s, one in 7.5 French and one in 7.62x51 Nato. I was lucky as the .308 conversion was done correctly. Also have the French "three post" sniper scope in the case, nite sites, baynotte, etc. for both rifles. That is one fine battle rifle and has killed several deer too.
    Fio para bellator - be the Prepared Warrior

Thanks guys,

I was aware of the K-Var, but I saw they were out of stock and didn't know if they were even still producing them? I'll check back with them.

Gunner69,

Yea, they are quite the build, aren't they? I saw one in a local shop, checked it out and looked it over... I had to have one! > Especially after researching them online. So I found a mint one, matching numbers and such, on AA and nabbed it! I haven't fired mine yet... haven't found the darn ammo locally so I'll be ordering some soon online. Do you have any ammo recommendations? Also, how does yours fire, and do you experience any slam-fires?

Good to have a fellow MAS auto owner here.

Jason G in Amarillo, TX (Top of Texas!)

Jason, I hope you are a reloader, as that toy can get expensive to feed. I reload for the French 7.5, which is .308 by the way, and it is everything the .308 Win is. The French Military load is 140gr bullet, I have yet to find a good US bullet in 140gr. My reload uses a 150 grain bullet at present. If you need reload data let me know. ;D

No, not a reloader... yet. It's true, that French 7.5 is hard to come by and pricey. But I found Prvi Partizan 139gr FMJ online for $15.49 per box(currently back ordered). Is .308 available for much, if any?, less than that? Regardless, I'm probably on my way to getting a reloading setup anyway. I do want to get some ammo in and make sure all is working correctly with the rifle.

Regarding your original scopes... are they quality optics and a worthwhile buy(like not from a collector point of view, but just as a mount and magnifying optic for me to use firing a rifle?) Is my question clear? I simply want to put a scope on my rifle and use it, not so much interested in historic accuracy/preservation/etc... but somewhat, as I do collect old war rifles.

thanks, Jason G

The French issue scope comes with the German "three post" system. It is a quality scope, but the prices now being asked are at times too damn much. :2cents: If I had a cheap mount I would probably get a Millet DSM-1 (circle/dot variable with three post) or a Truglo Gobbler (circle/dot) scope for close range plinking sessions. The MAS 49/56 is a quality rifle that's a "sleeper" due to its caliber. Enjoy your rifle....

the best out there is the McCann mount. You can see it at www.mccannindustries.com. It's under $100 and beats the others hands-down for strength and durability.

Sponsors