A good cause - Page 3
Like Tree45Likes
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A good cause

"For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.”
    Sean K., Bravo and Mechanic like this.
    "Spes Mea in Deo Est"--My hope is in GOD
    The antidote for fifty enemies is one friend.--Aristotle

B., Great to see that Joe is home and improving everyday.
    Bravo likes this.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

oops, double post

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys!

Last update for a while.... Hopefully.
    They did boot him Friday evening!
    We got the rooms at home all switched around and such at home for him, and it's been a ton of work just getting everything caught up and 'up to spec'.

This is his 'most immuno-compromised' day, so I got him in for blood level checks, they're wanting to pump him full of cancer-poison as soon as possible, after the MRI check on Thursday. One is radioactive and the other just stops capillary growth / creation to starve the cancer to death. This go surgery and radiation just isn't possible, and no promising FDA study to volunteer for. At least not yet.

Here's the interesting part.... He'd been looking at a church, thinking about moving his membership. So we went there yesterday and it was real 'HAND OF GOD' stuff. The serious conversation topics we'd been having in the hospital - not one or two, but several - were what the preacher specifically addressed in his sermon. And to add to it, the preacher added in a topic I'd been hesitant to bring up with Joe. So yeah, unless that church had a bug in that specific hospital room, that was a specific prompting for a specific purpose. I believe in happenstance, but I don't believe in a rapid-fire set of highly specific sequential coincidences. So he's got a new church to attend now!

I'll be catching a plane out of here this evening - got to get back to work when all my leave time is over. No sleep for the next couple of days.....

God is good, all the time! Thank you again for all the prayer, you have no idea how much it's appreciated!
    Merlin, Sean K., Mechanic and 1 others like this.
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

Bravo,
    How is your brother doing?
    Carpenter and Sean K. like this.
    "Spes Mea in Deo Est"--My hope is in GOD
    The antidote for fifty enemies is one friend.--Aristotle

Sorry for being off here so long..... been having to 'deal with some stuff'.

The update is kind of a goofy thing. With chemo, the trick is to poison the system, but only until the immune system starts taking too much of a hit. No benefit in killing a tumor if you compromise the immune system to the point the patient dies of a simple bacterial infection.
    So they watched his immune system, looking for the impact of strong doses of chemo. At the end of round 4, the report was that his immune system looked at the chemo and said "What, that all you got? Bring it on big boy!".
    Consequently they upped the chemo dosage significantly.
    But the side effects of this specific chemo regiment are controlled with other drugs. They all have to be in balance - that balance was compromised with the increased chemo dosage, even though they're trying to stay on top of it with continual dosage adjustments.
    As of yesterday he's back in the hospital. Not because of the tumor, but because of hallucinations. Known side effects. It's been changing his personality too, and not letting him get restful sleep. The guy 'sleeps', but his brain just keeps on running like he's living out a full day. And we all know how we get after too much sleep deprivation. The thing is, he knows that he's hallucinating, but he doesn't catch that he's acting differently.
    They did another EEG and said a lot of it was irritation in the healthy brain tissue, caused by the dying adjactent tumor tissue. Makes sense. Especially because this tumor is predominantly 'tendrils' that go everywhere - not a point that keeps growing mostly spherically. So they upped his steroid dosages, since that decreases swelling - but then you know how increased steroid levels make people change too.

Now that the bad news is out, I'll go on the positive side!
    This chemo was supposed to essentially give him a better standard of living, but not extend lifespan significantly. It should have stopped the growth of the tumor, but that was about all that they could hope for.
    After the first 2 rounds of chemo, they did another MRI and compared the two - a little over 50% reduction in size of the tumor! That had people waking up and taking notice!
    After 2 more rounds of chemo they did an MRI again, and got the same results - around 50% reduction in size of the tumor. No joke. The oncologist said that he was going to move other patients onto this chemo regiment solely because the results they're getting in Joe are that unexpectedly outstanding. You know you've got some good results when the doc looking over the MRI results starts out with "holy sh" before cutting himself off as he's turning to look at you ;-)
    Yesterday he got another course of chemo, but then he couldn't go home afterwords.

Right now the biggest concerns are that they get the mental functions back to normal..... and that the MRI might not be showing growth if the growth is going deep instead of spreading along close to the skull where it was. The oncologist said that it may be what causing all of this. I'm not believing that quite yet though.

Thanks for asking Bro, I appreciate the concern, and even more the continued prayers!
    Merlin and Sean K. like this.
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

Hey B. how is Joe doing?

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"

I wish I could say better....
    Been sitting beside him in the hospital for a week now.
    The original GBM from February was literally wiped out with a new chemo on the market. Coincidentally, the same one that he didn't get accepted for 5 years ago as a human trial study.
    But the GBM is horrible because it mutates so incredibly fast. The tumor that died off looked like what you'd expect one to look like - a point that started getting bigger.
    Well, it appears that it mutated into something that looks like tiny tendrils, and they were spreading. Unfortunately, into the frontal cortex and brain stem. And they did so in the middle of chemo treatments.
    The trick to chemo is to pump the system as full of toxin - in this case radioactive toxin - as possible without killing off the immune system. Joe, being the fighter he is, was getting triple the normal dosage...... And tolerating it well. Like gaining weight well. That's the environment that thing was mutating in.
    Just over a week ago he started hyperventilating uncontrollably. As in full sedation and a vent were required to stop it. He came off the sedative just fine, but hasn't come off the vent since, although they did wean him off it for an hour yesterday as a test. Slightly light on O2 uptake - SLIGHTLY - but it wore him out. They've been giving him a course of radiation that'll be done Monday, so the plan is to try and take him off it again tomorrow - if that doesn't work the back-up plan is to try again Monday.
    Tomorrow there's supposed to be a family meeting with the medical team, to discuss options. We'll know more then - or at least should know more.
    Obviously he can't talk while on the vent, but we "talk" through yes-no questions and head nods and shakes. And smiles, but laughing with a vent in hurts - or so he says. Tomorrow we'll see if his hand control is good enough to write on a white-board. He's optimistic about that. He's 100% fighting still, for a fact!
    The room sometimes resembles more of a SF / Ranger / Airborne ready-room than a hospital room, not in what's seen but who's voice is heard. Great guys coming and calling from all over to give the support they can. One of his close buddies relieves us - my wife and I - and sets with him every night while we get some sleep.
    I refused to pack black when I came out here too. Purposefully. But I run out of leave time Saturday, so we'll be forced to fly back home then. Dunno where it goes from here, but God has a plan. I don't believe that the plan ends soon. His neurologist and some of the staff said he wouldn't regain consciousness. God said differently, and embarassed them. It was hard not to laugh at their reactions. Every day he gets stronger, more attentive, and more responsive - like from essentially comatose to being able to have a kind-of conversation. Lots of prayer was spent on this dude, and lots of reward for it! Every day that he improves, and confounds the medical personnel, the more I see God's hand at work. Right beside me.
    Sorry for the ramble, been a long day, and I guess I needed to vent too.
    Thank you for asking ;-)

WOW!!! Crazy stuff!! Keep up the good work though Bravo, stay strong, my thoughts are with you......and your brother.
    Bravo likes this.
    hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and make hay while the sun shines!

Really Sorry to hear B. Prayers to him, you and the family.
    An offer, I have the computer that I sourced for my Mom to use before she passed from a stroke, that I can send as a loaner. Prior to that her first stroke affected her speech (she could not speak or write) so we got this for her. There are also apps on the iPhone and the one that Steven Hawkins uses https://www.quora.com/How-does-Steph...ch-device-work
    These may save him some mental stress and frustration.
    Sean K. and Bravo like this.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsors