Thread: Cerakote/paint-job question

Cerakote/paint-job question

I didn't want to hijack Santini's thread about the Cerakote oven build. However, I have a question for anyone on here who has experience applying the stuff. Right now, my heavy barrel, scope, and a few other things are off getting Cerakoted to match my rifle. When I get them back, I want to paint the gun camo -- I have a couple colors of Brownell's Aluma-Hyde II sitting around, and I'm thinking what the hey . . . some of the "sponge method" paint-jobs in the gallery section look professional-quality.

What I'm wondering is whether Cerakote will take a layer of paint on top, or whether it's too slick and I'll just end up with a mess on my hands. And does anyone have advice about how to apply a good sponge paint-job? I can't imagine it's much more complicated than spray paint onto sponge, apply to rifle, repeat . . . but I've been known to screw up simpler things. :ninja:
    “Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” -- James Madison

Re: Cerakote/paint-job question

I am no expert but have painted a few things with different types of CERAKOTE. The CK is Very durable and what you may face is that anything less durable may eventually scratch or flake off. Another thing is that you can mix or apply different Clears and Paints with some of those being specifically formulated to prevent things sticking to it.

If your painter is using the straight CK gun paints though, the scratching and flaking would what may take place like I said.

Santini will tell you though that it all comes down to the prep before painting.
    "Molon Labe!"

Thanks Marlon! I do like Cerakote -- I have it on two of my bolt guns and of course my XCR. Very tough stuff. In fact, with the bolt guns, which are camo, they've taken knocks that scratched off the top layer but didn't get to the metal, so clearly it adheres to the metal better than it does to itself.

BTW, I take it Santini is a professional applicator -- if his business info is available, I may get in touch for future projects, as I'd be happy to send business to a fellow forum-member!
    “Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” -- James Madison

There is someone else that started up a biz doing this too on here but I cannot recall the name.
    "Molon Labe!"

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    There is someone else that started up a biz doing this too on here but I cannot recall the name.
    Geseppe and me... we both cerakote stuff. We are both set up for it...
    Little boys do what they want. Real men do what they're supposed to...

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    GregChico was doing some coatings, but not sure if he does cerakote or not.

Link to his business web page.

I haven't seen him around here much since some guy in Idaho bought his XCR, but looking at Calguns it seems like he's hard at work with the coating business.
    - Tom Aiello
    tbaiello@mac.com

...I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

Thanks Tom -- I bookmarked it for the future. Looks like there are at least 4 folks on here who do this professionally.

You can paint over the Cerakote, just be aware that it will be subject to flaking, chipping and oils/chemicals. The Cerakote below will not be affected assuming it was applied properly. Make sure you prep your rifle as well as possible before you camo it, like with acetone (or even an very mild abrasive (to give the paint something to hold on) if you want the camo to last) as good preparation is the key to good outcomes. As far as camo advise, start with the color you want the least of (example: black can be very over powering) and work up from there.

I hope "that guy in Idaho" is enjoying my old XCR, it was/is a great rifle.

Edit:
    I have no personal experience with alumihide or any other coatings on top of Cerakote other than Cerakote. I have coated several paintball markers in a Cerakote as a base color and the owners have then added their own camo schemes. The above statement is the feedback I have received.

Sponsors