Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 80% AR lower receiver "build parties" deemed illegal by ATF

80% AR lower receiver "build parties" deemed illegal by ATF

Word on other forums and from some manufacturers is that ATF just ruled that build parties for 80% lower receivers are illegal; this includes renting CNC time (where you pay $50 or so for the shop to set things up for you to push a button to finish the milling). No official documentation has been posted yet, but several makers of 80% lowers have been notified.

Has anyone else heard similar?
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

I hope not.... I have a couple on order. I just finished building a couple using a polymer lower from FMK, I liked the fit & they came with a lifetime warranty.

-JIM
    THE OPPOSITE OF POVERTY IS NOT WEALTH. IT IS ENOUGH.

What needs to be done on a 80% lower? Is it just adding a lower parts kit? Thanks.
    "Molon Labe!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kalifornistan View Post
    I hope not.... I have a couple on order. I just finished building a couple using a polymer lower from FMK, I liked the fit & they came with a lifetime warranty.

-JIM
    Centerfire Rifle section on Calguns is talking about it. No one has actually seen a letter or notice from the ATF. Two shops have been advised by their lawyers to stop providing build parties and CNC rental. And a few engravers have been told they can not engrave completed lowers without FFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    What needs to be done on a 80% lower? Is it just adding a lower parts kit? Thanks.
    Depends... some lowers have only the holes for the pivot and take down pins milled, as well as the area for the buffer tube. Some have the above plus magwell machined out, leaving just the fire control group recesses and holes unmilled. Advantage is that since it's "self-made/home-built", no serial number is required.

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    Depends... some lowers have only the holes for the pivot and take down pins milled, as well as the area for the buffer tube. Some have the above plus magwell machined out, leaving just the fire control group recesses and holes unmilled. Advantage is that since it's "self-made/home-built", no serial number is required.
    Thanks. It as I figured then that a CNC is required. Just did not know that they called them build parties to get the 20% done.
    "Molon Labe!"

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    Word on other forums and from some manufacturers is that ATF just ruled that build parties for 80% lower receivers are illegal; this includes renting CNC time (where you pay $50 or so for the shop to set things up for you to push a button to finish the milling). No official documentation has been posted yet, but several makers of 80% lowers have been notified.Has anyone else heard similar?
    Fmunk, can you post a link to the thread that sounds like it has the best info on this?
    “Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” -- James Madison

It doesn't have to be done with CNC, it can be done with the appropriate drill bits and a jig.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat338 View Post
    Fmunk, can you post a link to the thread that sounds like it has the best info on this?
    Vendors:
    JTACTICAL - JT-15 80% Lower Receiver
    Calguns.net - View Single Post - 80% Builds in San Jose
    80% Lower CNC Rental [Update, no longer offered due to new ATF letter] - Calguns.net

One of the threads:
    80% Build Parties deemed illegal by the ATF

This stuff pisses me off....people run their mouths about stuff like this, then some idiot decides to contact their local ATF office and ask them. Of course the knee jerk reaction is that no you can't do it....especially in this political climate.....the best thing to do is to let it go and not start threads like this..if ATF makes a ruling then they will send out a notice to the vendors and the vendors will post it on their websites...until then i'd let it go and not stir up the waters...I'd tell the numnuts on calguns to delete their posts and drop the whole thing...I see similar crap about other items all interweb....some idiots decided they need to ask the atf about removing a piece of metal inside the reciever of the MKE HK pistols.......they said you couldn't remove it so they weren't any good to buy and convert to a sear gun....because some braniac decided to call their atf office and some low level guy made a snap decision, who probably wasn't even sure what the heck he was talking about...then posted all of the forums that you couldn't modify the weapons.....turns out they were wrong and it's perfectly legal to install a triggerpack and FA BCG on the MKE pistols......just saying this kind of bullshit doesn't help anyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors