Like Tree3Likes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safe to store your Ammo?

Safe to store your Ammo?

So my gun safe is over flowing with guns, ammo, parts, etc. I have considered just getting a second safe or getting a double wide and selling my smaller one, but wondered how others are storing their mags, ammo, etc to keep your safe de-cluttered.

Do you store any ammo, or mags in your safe? If not how do you store them? I have considered a low end safe to purely stack my ammo, mags, hosters, and optics. What say you, and do you have a better way to store your ammo/etc that is not just sitting on a shelf? I was thinking some type of lockable foot locker. I am not trying to store it and make it theft proof, just a little harder to get to and be able to stack it in one place.

Anyone have any better ideas than a second safe?
    Riding, Shooting, or Golfing...you pick and I will be there.

A .50 cal ammo can holds a lot of p-mags.

I use a cheap safe like the ones from walmart to store ammo and mags. Not like I have a whole lot but better than getting stolen if something did happen

If you're going to bother with a safe...and spend hard earned money on it...might be wise to invest in a fireproof one...and pay a little more for a good one that's maybe on sale (scratch and dent). Go with a lesser brand name one (with decent quality)....and you can save a lot of money. For around a grand, you can have a very high quality safe.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Nomad, due to the cost of the ammo and magazines on hand and the PITA it would be to replace I have not found another solution. I hate the idea of some low life having easy access to any of my firearm stuff. Just wish I could find the space and money to have more fireproof safes.
    Plus the wife seems to think that she needs space in my safe because it is fireproof, you would not believe what she puts in there......................
    "Molon Labe!"

Opted to not share that much info.......
    I'd personally stash stuff in sealed, "air-treated" containers, instead of in a safe.
    But that's just me.
    Last edited by Bravo; 11-04-2013 at 01:22 PM.
    Nomad likes this.
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that canít be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    If you're going to bother with a safe...and spend hard earned money on it...might be wise to invest in a fireproof one...and pay a little more for a good one that's maybe on sale (scratch and dent). Go with a lesser brand name one (with decent quality)....and you can save a lot of money. For around a grand, you can have a very high quality safe.
    This is where I keep ending up too, but just don't have the cash to drop on a second real safe if I don't have to. Problem is right now it is in my reg safe, garage, basement, etc. My food/supplies store room is in desparate need of more space and a good chunk of my extra (mags and ammo) are taking up a decent sized shelf. I really don't want it in my garage just stacked however. I guess I will just have to troll the classified and see if I can pick a decent one up used. Maybe I will get lucky.
    Riding, Shooting, or Golfing...you pick and I will be there.

Keeping your firearms in a safe of some kind is a must, keep your ammo stored seperately in ammo boxes (.50 cal type) in a cool and dry room if you can. If you can lock that room all the better. The main thing is is keeping the guns out of the wrong hands.

I don't lock mine up- but what about building a simple cabinet (even plywood), and locking it with a hasp?
    Or even for ammo etc, an old filing cabinet? Most have locks or can be drilled for a hasp easily, and generally a smash and grab thief wouldn't look in an old filing cabinet for gun parts (as long as the lock isn't too big making it obvious). Just an idea.

Another idea I've seen is people buying old coke machines and storing items in there. For the most part they look like they are junk/clutter and I would hope overlooked instead of trying to get into them if they are locked
    Carpenter and Nomad like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors