XCR-L Pistol Questions....
Like Tree10Likes
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XCR-L Pistol Questions....

XCR-L Pistol Questions....

***EDIT***Found it on their site; so disregard....unless you happen to know if the buried gas block is accessible on a 5.56 with the 9.5" bbl and standard upper***

I've been wanting to build a 5.56 "pistol" with a shockwave brace....mostly to travel with. Thought a lot about the cheaper route: BCM lower with a LaRue or Geiselle trigger and whatever furniture I choose to go with and either my LWRC 10.3" or BCM 11.5" upper, but I still really prefer the XCR.

Thought some about the CZ Bren too.....but, prefer the 3 lug bolt of the XCR.

So, I'm kicking around the idea of saving up my pennies for an XCR-L pistol. It would be relatively simple if I could just buy a pistol lower and swap it over to one of my existing SBR uppers....problem is: my mini and standard uppers (8 5/16" bbl and 10.5" bbl respectively) have the old "type 1" bolt carrier/buffer arrangement so I don't think a direct swap is possible.

That pretty much leaves the most expensive option: buying a new XCR pistol. Which brings me to my questions:

I'd like to get a 9-11" bbl.....with either a mini or standard length Key Mod upper. Last I checked though....5.56 bbls for pistol/sbrs were relegated to 7.5" for the micro, 10" for the mini and something like 12" for the standard uppers. With the advent of the "buried" gas block/type 3 gas system, I don't know if that's changed. I'm assuming I could put the 10" bbl intended for the mini in a standard upper....but the question is: would the detents in the type 3 gas block be accessible through one of the ports? I know there's a thread discussing this.....for .300 BLK anyway.....but I can't find it.

Pretty much what I'm looking for is a handguard length that ends pretty close to where the muzzle device threads on. I'd prefer something like a 10.5" bbl with the standard length upper for a little extra velocity, but wouldn't mind going down to 9".....though I'm pretty sure that length is no longer an option and hasn't been for years.

Anyone know what is currently available? RA's site only lists the 7.5" bbl in pistol configuration.

Thanks in advance.

***EDIT****Looks like there is a 9.5" bbl listed on the site...with the standard upper.***
    Last edited by Sean K.; 02-11-2017 at 09:36 AM.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Sean, is that with a micro gas length?

I've been told they're still working the type 3 gas blocks with the mini length.

Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    Sean, is that with a micro gas length?

I've been told they're still working the type 3 gas blocks with the mini length.
    If I had to guess, I'd say yes.....based on the pic.

You can sorta make out how much 'air gap' there is from the block to the end of the handguard by looking through the slots. If you compare the two pics below...that's what it looks like.

The "mini" 5 slot upper with a 7.5" bbl.

XCR-L Pistol Questions....-xcr-l-micro-micro-pistol.png

And the 'stnd' 6 slot upper with 9.5" bbl.

XCR-L Pistol Questions....-xcr-l-mini-standard-w-type-3-gas-block.png

Is the problem designing the mini system with the type 3 gas block aligning the detents with a slot in the upper....or can they just not get them to run reliably with the bbl port so close to the muzzle....if you know....
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Not sure if there's a problem or if it's more lack of interest. I asked for a couple of type 3 gas tubes in mini length a couple of orders back but still haven't seen anything.

I'm not sure about the spacing. I can monkey with some parts combos later this evening to see if the vent spacing is an issue

Not sure if there's a problem or if it's more lack of interest. I asked for a couple of type 3 gas tubes in mini length a couple of orders back but still haven't seen anything.

I'm not sure about the spacing. I can monkey with some parts combos later this evening to see if the vent spacing is an issue

Don't go to any trouble, Nate. I'm still window shopping.

I'm wanting to send my circa 2012 5.56 7.5" micro back to the mothership for all the latest upgrades, would want the new gas system if available. Is that a problem? Understand that the gas system wouldn't be burried with my existing upper.

You'd only need to send it back if you want them to cut your lower for the new bcg. The gas block and other pieces are all bolt on.

I've ended up with some of both (old/new). I haven't shot them enough to be able to tell a big difference (assuming there is quantifiable difference for shooting) between them. I'm really liking the new block though, especially with a suppressor. Used to be over gassed on "S" with various uppers/calibers. With the new block, I've got "1" or "2" that will run with the can pretty consistently without launching brass into the next range.

Very odd....

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/620720867

Seems to be a 5.56 with the Type 2 gas system of the M on an L pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Very odd....

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/620720867

Seems to be a 5.56 with the Type 2 gas system of the M on an L pistol.
    I've asked Alex about those and called Osage.

He says the pics don't represent what they're selling(this was awhile back) and the people at Osage don't know the platform. They had a description and pics that didn't match, I tried to clarify and they gave me another combo that didn't work.

I'd be very careful ordering from them.

Edit: Alex didn't say Osage didn't know the platform. That's my observation from the conversations/emails I've had with them.

I've asked Alex about those and called Osage.

He says the pics don't represent what they're selling(this was awhile back) and the people at Osage don't know the platform. They had a description and pics that didn't match, I tried to clarify and they gave me another combo that didn't work.

I'd be very careful ordering from them.

Edit: Alex didn't say Osage didn't know the platform. That's my observation from the conversations/emails I've had with them.
    Oh, I wasn't planning to buy from them. If I buy new, it will be from you or Kermit.

I was looking to see if anyone had a used pistol lower or full up pistol for a reasonable price with the Type 1 lower so I could just swap my SBR uppers onto it. It was a long shot, but I figured I'd check.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsors