XCR-L 6.5 Grendel - Page 2
Like Tree12Likes
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: XCR-L 6.5 Grendel

Wolverine is expecting a response next week, apparently RA is at a show this week. I'm excited for this one, but the ammo is no where near as cheap and available up here.
    Travis Kay
    linkedin.com/in/kaytravis
    twitter.com/traviskay
    CCFR, CSSA, NRA member, are you? In the greater Vancouver area? Drop me a PM

Is the new gas system just low profile for the full length uppers or is this now the new standard?

Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    The new gas system works fine in older guns. You'll just need to get the appropriate gas tube with it. I've moved a type 3 gas block around to several of my older setups without issue. The piston/op rod are interchangeable between the type 1 and 3 for a given gas length.
    Travis Kay
    twitter.com/traviskay

Alex had mentioned ditching the type 1 awhile back but to my knowledge it's still an option. Personally I think the type 3 beats the 1 hands down. It's a much more versatile format and you've got better/more adjustability. If you're not running a suppressor the difference isn't very big but with a can, I much prefer the type 3.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

I just re-verified my thinking with the XCR standards parts explanations, that the Type 3 OS is for the longer receivers. Hopefully type two has a long support life.
    Travis Kay
    twitter.com/traviskay

Quote Originally Posted by xdmer View Post
    I just re-verified my thinking with the XCR standards parts explanations, that the Type 3 OS is for the longer receivers. Hopefully type two has a long support life.
    The type 3(tuckable gas block, 8 position dial) was built for the 300blk because of the short gas system length. That opened the door for longer receivers as well. I've personally swapped out the type 3 on standard and mini length gas systems. It worked great. The only other part you need to do the swap is the appropriate gas tube.

The type 2 is the short stroke system, like on the M. That isn't tuckable. It requires a different gas tube AND op rod/piston head.

The type 1 is the older, 5 position, finger adjustable gas block that's been the standard since 2007 or so.

FWIW. I've used all 3 on a 10" mini 5.45 upper. They all worked fine. I preferred the Type 3.
    Merlin likes this.

I would really like to see a reference on this. My XCR's are not that old, XCR-L Keymods came wtih a Type 1 OS and a newer style Type 1 Op Rod.

My XCR-M Keymod came with a Type 2 OS and Op Rod. Also all my XCR-L conversions are Type 1 ... Thas 556 / 7.62x39, 300 AAC Blackout (actually this one is type 3) and 6.8 SPC. Now I'm not sure about the 6.5 Grendel if I can get one.

I had thought the Type 2 was only on XCR-M's as that's the only place I've seen them.

I would hate to think I put so much money on something that's planed to be discontinued :/
    Last edited by xdmer; 04-28-2017 at 07:28 PM. Reason: 300 AAC blackout is type 3
    Travis Kay
    twitter.com/traviskay

Quote Originally Posted by xdmer View Post
    I would really like to see a reference on this. My XCR's are not that old, XCR-L Keymods came wtih a Type 1 OS and a newer style Type 1 Op Rod.

My XCR-M Keymod came with a Type 2 OS and Op Rod. Also all my XCR-L conversions are Type 1 ... Thas 556 / 7.62x39, 300 AAC Blackout (actually this one is type 3) and 6.8 SPC. Now I'm not sure about the 6.5 Grendel if I can get one.

I had thought the Type 2 was only on XCR-M's as that's the only place I've seen them.

I would hate to think I put so much money on something that's planed to be discontinued :/
    Dude!

You're not listening(reading?).

For the L and the M the nomenclature is the same.

Type 1- 5 position, tool less adjustable gas block utilizing a long stroke piston. Currently the most common gas system on the Ls, the standard for the past decade.

Type 2- Introduced on the M. tool less adjustable block. Gas tube AND piston head are unique to the Type 2. More of a short stroke setup. In the past couple of years it's made it's way onto the L. I have a mini type 2 setup.

Type 3- 8 position tuckable gas block. Originally released with the .300. Uses the same piston head/op rods as the Type 1 but does require a different gas tube. Works across all calibers/gas lengths on the L and as of SHOT 2017 is supposed to be coming to the M.

*It's my understanding that you can order any of those systems currently from RA. Alex has said he's considered ditching type 1 but it was a thought, not a plan. Even if Type 1 goes away, it's an easy swap to Type 3. If/when you want a Grendel, you should be able to order whatever gas system you want.

*You can put any of those 3 gas systems on any of your current rifles/barrels (so long as it fits your upper, (eg type 2 on a micro gas system with a standard upper won't fit). I've done this personally on a Mini upper.

*There are several versions of the type 1 op rod (original, lite, one piece op rod).... BUT for the same gas length THEY ARE ALL INTERCHANGABLE and will work with Type 1 AND Type 3 gas blocks.
    Last edited by navalbeaver; 04-28-2017 at 08:29 PM.
    Sean K. likes this.

So Nate, the Type 3 "Tuckable" works with all L calibers like you said without changing the dial like we have to for the 5.56 and 7.62 with the Type 1. Did Alex ever announce this, I thought they never went beyond the 5.56? Different gas tube but Op rods from the Type 1s will work?
    Apologies, just want to clarify in this old brain.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    So Nate, the Type 3 "Tuckable" works with all L calibers like you said without changing the dial like we have to for the 5.56 and 7.62 with the Type 1. Did Alex ever announce this, I thought they never went beyond the 5.56? Different gas tube but Op rods from the Type 1s will work?
    Apologies, just want to clarify in this old brain.
    I've seen a 5.56 and the .300/7.62 version of those dials. I haven't monkeyed with them enough to say what kind of function you'll get if you have the wrong dial.

I've ordered, from RA, 5.56,5.45, 7.62x39 and 300 with the type 3 gas block.

For type 1 to type 3. Same op rod. Different gas tube
    Merlin likes this.

How quickly are you getting your RA orders these days?
    - Tom Aiello
    tbaiello@mac.com

...I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsors