Keymod vs. M-lok
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By fmunk
  • 1 Post By DSM

Thread: Keymod vs. M-lok

Keymod vs. M-lok

Last edited by mjorin; 05-13-2017 at 01:46 PM.

What's the given thickness though? I know that Mlok uses 10-32 bolts.....KM use 8-32. I'd bet the KM handguard material is thinner and therefore, lighter. You have to pay to play.....the thinner something is, the lighter it will be, but it won't be as robust.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Personally, I find M-Lok more aesthetically pleasing than KeyMod. My thing is that I don't want to put a pic rail on after I just got rid of them. I want attachments to be either KeyMod or M-Lok, not pic that requires me to add an "Adapter" to get it to work. Anything short of that is just crap. There has been a continuing trend in free-float hand guards toward less and less material, so they likely won't support anything well, regardless of means of attachment. Especially something like a vert. grip, not that I like vert grips anyway.

Once I get an MDR, I'll re-evaluate all of my opinions. Both of my XCRs (L & M) are quads, so I don't sweat it too much. XCRs are tanks, so I get something in return for the extra weight... a rock solid robust platform.
    "Don't Tread On Me!"
    -- (reiterated without permission) Rich Hornay

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

You know what Key Mod reminds me of? Take a close look. It's probably where the idea came from. And probably why our minds don't associate it with firearms.

Edsal 72 in. H x 48 in. W x 24 in. D 5-Shelf Steel Commercial Shelving Unit in Black-UR-245WGB - The Home Depot
    Sean K. and mjorin like this.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    Personally, I find M-Lok more aesthetically pleasing than KeyMod. My thing is that I don't want to put a pic rail on after I just got rid of them. I want attachments to be either KeyMod or M-Lok, not pic that requires me to add an "Adapter" to get it to work. Anything short of that is just crap. There has been a continuing trend in free-float hand guards toward less and less material, so they likely won't support anything well, regardless of means of attachment. Especially something like a vert. grip, not that I like vert grips anyway.

Once I get an MDR, I'll re-evaluate all of my opinions. Both of my XCRs (L & M) are quads, so I don't sweat it too much. XCRs are tanks, so I get something in return for the extra weight... a rock solid robust platform.
    Definitely a personal preference. All the guys in my area at my work prefer the KM to the MLok in terms of looks (small sample size as there's only 5 of us).
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    You know what Key Mod reminds me of? Take a close look. It's probably where the idea came from. And probably why our minds don't associate it with firearms.
    Edsal 72 in. H x 48 in. W x 24 in. D 5-Shelf Steel ause I thouCommercial Shelving Unit in Black-UR-245WGB - The Home Depot
    That's funny, because I thought the same thing.
    "Spes Mea in Deo Est"--My hope is in GOD
    The antidote for fifty enemies is one friend.--Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Definitely a personal preference. All the guys in my area at my work prefer the KM to the MLok in terms of looks (small sample size as there's only 5 of us).
    Same here! Most of my buddies like the looks of Keymod. It just looks cleaner to me. But, Blondes, Brunettes or Redheads!
    "Spes Mea in Deo Est"--My hope is in GOD
    The antidote for fifty enemies is one friend.--Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by mjorin View Post
    Same here! Most of my buddies like the looks of Keymod. It just looks cleaner to me. But, Blondes, Brunettes or Redheads!
    So...No, YES, YES, and yes!
    And oddly, I apparently like blue, but not green.
    "Don't Tread On Me!"
    -- (reiterated without permission) Rich Hornay

A key hole looks cleaner than a simple uniform slot? Huh, that's a new one.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

DSM
    Details On The USSOCOM Sponsored KeyMod vs M-LOK Test Conducted at NSWC-Crane - Soldier Systems Daily

Here's another article on the debate from Crane. I thought the testing methods were just as fascinating as the results but with new gear like the CSASS spec'd for m-lok it would appear it'll be replacing picatinny rails in the near future.

Im old school and just use the pic rails but I did just pick up an mlok rail for an MP5 clone. I'm at the "six of one, half dozen of the other" point of opinions at the moment though. It'd seem to me it'll stack tolerances faster, especially if you add/remove accessories frequently but then again I'm not an engineer.
    Sean K. likes this.
    When have any of our plans ever actually worked? We plan, we get there, all hell breaks loose.

Sponsors