What aluminum used? - Page 2
Like Tree9Likes
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What aluminum used?

I believe the upper is 6061. 7075 does not work well for extrusions.

I don't know which is used for the lower.

Quote Originally Posted by owtlaw View Post
    Good hell people. 7075 or 6061. 99% of people don't know what that means. How does it feel? SMH.... if you really want to know, taste it.
    Just because some do not understand the difference or don't care to...others do. Sorry if asking the question regarding what material the rifle is made from makes you get sarcastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
    Mine used to taste kinda minty - or maybe that was just the smell of the froglube.
    Later it kinda tasted like crisco - or maybe that was just the smell of the fireclean.
    Then it tasted like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches - I think that's because I didn't wipe my hands off after lunch though.
    So what alloy does that make my XCR?
    I'm betting with all those flavors it must be 412!
    Good to have you back B..
    Back on the PB&J? What happened to the PB&H?

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by thehun View Post
    Just because some do not understand the difference or don't care to...others do. Sorry if asking the question regarding what material the rifle is made from makes you get sarcastic.
    Calm the fuck down, Margret! (if you don't get the joking reference: and no, it's not a verbatim quote, LOL).

Anyhoo....your first statement is assuming quite a bit. Most of us know the difference and why one chooses 7075 over 6061, especially on AR type platforms.

2nd, your question regarding materials wasn't the part people have been poking fun at....it's the concept that one can feel the difference given that the XCR isn't an AR so you can't just pull out a billet 6061 lower and compare it to a 7075 lower.

Here's some facts. The density of 7075-T6 is 3.1 g/cm^3. For 6061-T6 it is 2.7g/cm^3. That translates to a .4 gram (or .014 ounce difference) for a given cubic centimeter of material. I highly doubt ANYONE can tell the difference based on how it feels; period....full stop. Again, one would have to have examples of each flavor of aluminum in exactly the same part to be able to "feel" the difference.

Try not to let a little good natured ribbing get to you that much. It's the interwebz...it ain't RL.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by thehun View Post
    Is that what does it (asking questions)? No wonder my ex was always pissed at me. She asked me all kinds of questions, like "why do you NEED another gun"? I always said "because your shoes come in pairs and you need a purse to match".
    Bravo and G2 like this.
    "Don't Tread On Me!"
    -- (reiterated without permission) Rich Hornay

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    She asked me all kinds of questions, like "why do you NEED another gun"? I always said "because your shoes come in pairs and you need a purse to match".
    Hmmmh, never thought to say that. I tell my wife, "Just like you NEED another purse but in 10 years I will still have my gun and it will be worth more, while your purse is worth less and looks like crap if you haven't given it to Goodwill or thrown it away!" Name:  dodging_tomato.gif
Views: 42
Size:  7.6 KB
    Then I am on the couch for the next week.Name:  blackeye.gif
Size:  174 Bytes
    Mechanic likes this.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    Hmmmh, never thought to say that. I tell my wife, "Just like you NEED another purse but in 10 years I will still have my gun and it will be worth more, while your purse is worth less and looks like crap if you haven't given it to Goodwill or thrown it away!" Name:  dodging_tomato.gif
Size:  7.6 KB
    Then I am on the couch for the next week.Name:  blackeye.gif
Size:  174 Bytes
    AND eating PB&J!
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsors