Tennesee got it right! (Suppressors legal in state)
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By TexasChris
  • 1 Post By Sean K.
  • 1 Post By Sean K.

Thread: Tennesee got it right! (Suppressors legal in state)

Tennesee got it right! (Suppressors legal in state)

Tenth Amendment Center Blog | Signed by the Governor: Tennessee Decriminalizes Firearm ?Silencers?

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (May 10, 2017) – Yesterday, Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam signed a bill into law decriminalizing the manufacture and possession of firearm suppressors in the state. The new law not only removes a layer of state regulation, it will help foster an environment hostile to federal gun control in Tennessee.
    Sen. Steve Southerland (R-Morristown) introduced Senate Bill 921 (SB921) earlier this year. Titled the “Tennessee Hearing Protection Act,” the new law repeals current Tennessee statutes prohibiting the possession, manufacture, transport, repair, or sale of firearm “silencers,” more appropriately referred to as “suppressors.”
    These devices simply muffle the sound of a gun. They do not literally silence firearms. Nevertheless, the federal government heavily regulates silencers under the National Firearms Act. The feds charge a $200 tax on the purchase of the devices. Buying one also requires months-long waits after filing extensive paperwork with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
    The House passed SB921 by a 74-18 vote. The Senate approved the measure 28-1. With Haslam’s signature, the law will go into effect later this summer.
    The repeal of state suppressor restrictions will not alter federal law, but it does remove a layer of law hindering access to these harmless devices. Widespread easing of suppressor regulation in states subtly undermines federal efforts to unconstitutionally regulate firearms.
    As we’ve seen with marijuana and industrial hemp, a federal regulation becomes ineffective when states ignore it and pass laws encouraging the prohibited activity. Or when the state decriminalizes and people start ignoring the federal prohibition without any further state “permission” to do so.
    Either way, the federal government lacks the enforcement power necessary to maintain its ban in such a climate, and people will increasingly take on the risk of federal sanctions if they know the state will not interfere. This increases when the state actively encourages “the market.”
    Less restrictive state gun laws such as SB921 can have a similar impact on federal gun laws. It will make it that much more difficult for the feds to enforce federal gun control, should the people defy it, and increase the likelihood that states with few limits will simply refuse to cooperate with future federal enforcement efforts.
    State actions like SB921 lower barriers for those wanting to the option of defending themselves with firearms and encourage a “gun-friendly” environment that would make federal efforts to limit firearms that much more difficult.
    Merlin, Sean K. and Bravo like this.
    Do what you've always done, get what you've always got. ----- Have gun. Will travel.

Good Lord I wish AZ would follow suit. Maybe a few letters to state reps are in order.

Thanks for posting Chris!
    Merlin likes this.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Florida too....................

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Didn't Montana or Idaho or Utah do this a couple of years ago? Does everyone up there have a suppressor now?

Who lives in Tenesse? Going to drill out the old solvent trap?

What if the State or local police pull you over, find your suppressor, and don't like your attitude? Will they call the feds to come pick you up? There's nothing stopping them.

A few more thoughts.

Obviously the manufacturers/SOTS already registered with the fed .gov are not going to start selling to people without a stamp. So who is going to ramp up production, and how many can they build and sell before the atf comes down on them? Does this help any business or just homebuilders?

Quote Originally Posted by WatchoutforStobor View Post
    A few more thoughts.

Obviously the manufacturers/SOTS already registered with the fed .gov are not going to start selling to people without a stamp. So who is going to ramp up production, and how many can they build and sell before the atf comes down on them? Does this help any business or just homebuilders?
    Does it really matter? DIYers or state based business....both are ahead of the curve for NFA bullshit regulation.

I *thought* Idaho or Montana passed something like this....or maybe just proposed it. If it was made in the state and stayed there....no stamp needed.
    Bravo likes this.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Does it really matter? DIYers or state based business....both are ahead of the curve for NFA bullshit regulation.

I *thought* Idaho or Montana passed something like this....or maybe just proposed it. If it was made in the state and stayed there....no stamp needed.
    https://legislature.idaho.gov/wp-con...tion/H0589.pdf

Idaho passed this (plus other things, but this was in the bill) and Governor Otter signed it into law in 2010.

18*3315A. PROHIBITION OF FEDERAL REGULATION OF CERTAIN FIREARMS.(1)
    1. 19 As used in this section:
    2. 20 (a) "Borders of Idaho" means the boundaries of Idaho described in
    3. 21 chapter 1, title 31, Idaho Code.
    4. 22 (b) "Firearms accessories" means items that are used in conjunction
    5. 23 with or mounted upon a firearm but are not essential to the basic
    6. 24 function of a firearm including, but not limited to, telescopic or laser
    7. 25 sights, magazines, flash or sound suppressors, folding or aftermarket
    8. 26 stocks and grips, speedloaders, ammunition, ammunition carriers and
    9. 27 lights for target illumination.

I can't figure out how to format it properly, but this is the relevant section.
    - Tom Aiello
    tbaiello@mac.com

...I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post

I'm wondering who, if anyone, is going to stick their neck out. Is there a business in Idaho that started building and selling suppressors for "in state" use? Did a significant number of residents build suppressors for themselves and shoot them publicly? What is the result of the new law in Idaho? What will it be in Tennessee?

I don't expect you to have these answers, by the way, but I would think someone knows.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchoutforStobor View Post
    I'm wondering who, if anyone, is going to stick their neck out. Is there a business in Idaho that started building and selling suppressors for "in state" use? Did a significant number of residents build suppressors for themselves and shoot them publicly? What is the result of the new law in Idaho? What will it be in Tennessee?

I don't expect you to have these answers, by the way, but I would think someone knows.
    No one....from out of state anyway.

Don't know what happened in ID....but Gemtech is based out of there IIRC.

Sponsors