Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When will the ammo shortage END?

When will the ammo shortage END?

I have been trying to get some pistol ammo (seems i made a huge mistake by shooting most of mine before i left) I have checked numerous sites ie: cabelas, ammoman, ammotogo, natchez, cdnn, etc. they all have flashing little signs telling me They have NO ammo for 9mm, 45acp,44mag, hell even 50AE. Anyone have a friend in the ammo industry who knows when the shortage will end? I know they dont want to go into overdrive and end up with a stockpile of ammo but at this point in time i dont think that is gonna happen. I had 1k rounds of winchester unprimmed brass back ordered at cabelas for the last 3 months and they just sent me an email not saying it was shipped but that they are canceling my order as they still do not have any in stock and do not forsee having any for the next two months. Seems like its just spiralling out of control. glad i stocked up on magazines before i left just hope i have somthing to fill em with when i get back.

Re: When will the ammo shortage END?

I don't foresee an end anytime soon. From what I've been reading and seeing at local gun stores/shops, the demand for rifles is now reaching a saturation point somewhat....but ammo and mags are still in really high demand and shortages in those areas are really common.

I hate to say it....but if we're lucky, maybe by the end of the year the ammo prices will stabilize and possibly come back down, but I think right now....there's just too many people stockpiling.

JMO,
    Sean
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

IMHO, the only thing that MIGHT cause ammo demand to ease up....and that is a big MIGHT is the summer travel/vacation season. Folks will spend their cash on their families and the beach. Otherwise, it isn't going to end anytime in the foreseeable future.

This question is being asked by MANY, MANY PEOPLE! The best answer(s) that my Brother and I have gotten, from 2 unnamed ammo mfgs., is that there is PLEANTY OF AMMO AROUND, they both say that the big DISTRIBUTORS ARE HOARDING THE AMMO AND PUSHING THE PRICES UP! They both said it isn't them. They are running wide open and not even 25% of what they are making is being made available.......GRIED, GRIED, GRIED!
    Sinker

When people stop buying so much of it.

Obviously, when the war is over, demand for ammo will fall through the floor.

Short term, I dont see demand dropping anytime soon. Especially not with Barry Sorento in the White House
    "Amateurs talk about tactics, but professionals study logistics." - Gen. Robert Barrow, USMC (1980)
    www.acrforum.com

Quote Originally Posted by variablebinary View Post
    Obviously, when the war is over, demand for ammo will fall through the floor.

Short term, I dont see demand dropping anytime soon. Especially not with Barry Sorento in the White House
    Afghanistan may be getting some action but our guys in Iraq aren't using much ammo these days-mostly fam fire stuff. Last I heard there were less violent incidents in all of Iraq than in the city of Detroit, daily. Training accounts for some expendature, but a lot of training is with blanks, sim rounds and the laser tag systems anymore. I think it will actually go up when the guys get home, they'll have to catch up to everyone else's stockpile and they'll have the money (and motivation) to do it. :2cents:
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. ~Plato

Yeah I hear you armed515. I shot alot of my pistol ammo also and I'm having trouble restocking in bulk. I just got my XCR so I have no stockpile in 223 :duh:

I did luck up (if you can call it that) and just picked up 1k rounds of federal lake 62gr green tips for $650.00 :hopmad:

MUCH more than I wanted to spend but "a bird in hand......."
    At least I now have something on the shelf.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have." ~~Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by sam4freedom View Post
    I shot alot of my pistol ammo also and I'm having trouble restocking in bulk.
    Do I hear that!
    For the upcoming class, I need 1000 rounds of 12 gauge birdshot, 125 rounds of double ought, 125 rounds of slugs, 1000 rounds of pistol ammo (at least), and "whatever 223 I can manage".

I'm good on everything except the slugs - I don't really want to dip into my stash.

Like you though, I'm sitting here contemplating the concept of purchasing more to replace what I'll use. That's ugly.
    So it's a balancing act between "keep what I have" and "further develop skills to use, what I do have left, even better".
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that canít be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

One of the biggest problems with the current situation is aspiralling effect (a.k.a viscious circle)

In the beginning ammo was common and affordable. Then the political climate changes and people get scared and go out buying as much as they can get. The fear subsides and the rush doesn't end. Why? Because at one point in time there was hardly any ammo to be found. Prices were going up and people who are past the fear are only trying to get their ammo while it is currently in stock, sort of out of fear.

Now maybe the big ammo distributors are holding back ammo like DaBeers does diamonds to ensure the price stays high and they make a killing.

Now there is only one capitolistic method to bring these prices down and flood the market with ammo. Stop buying. If people stopped buying ammo like morons and paying $650 bones for 1k rounds, then the distibutors would be forced to lower their prices in an effor to get people to buy.

As long as people are willing to pay astronomical prices, ammo will be hard to find.

Simply stated:

Ammo sales increase, supply is gets low, price for ammo rises, people keep paying the prices, supply stays low, people keep paying higher prices, supply stays low, prices go even higher, supply stay low, price rise more, supply stays low, and it keeps going and going.

I watched a guy at a show buy 10 cans of 7.62x39 (800rnds per can) for $400 each can. Seriously? You need that much ammo at those prices? I saw another guy pay $580 for a can a wolf ammo in .223.

As long as people pay these stupid prices, which they will at least for some time, because people are stupid for the most part, prices will be high and the shortage will stay.
    "If the provisions of the Constitution be not upheld when they pinch, as well as when they comfort, they may as well be abandoned." - U.S. Supreme Court Justice George Southerland, 1934

WWW.GLOCKFAN.US - Glock Pistol Forum

WWW.ACRFORUM.COM - Remington Bushmaster ACR Rifle Forum

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Sponsors