Thread: Places to shoot in Utah County? Provo restrictions??

Places to shoot in Utah County? Provo restrictions??

I don't know about you guys, but it is harder and harder to find spots to shoot in Utah county without traveling out to the west desert (also inherently risking getting shot by a bunch of untrained yahoos while you are there).

One of my favorite places used to be Provo Canyon, with many options up squaw peak road to turn off an shoot away. I don't know what the deal is now however as they (Provo city) went on a NO SHOOTING OR ELSE spree and put signs up on EVERY spot. This really pissed me off and I'm not sure the logic behind it. It is a very recent move on their part (this week). There were several spots that were perfect for the casual shooting that were also very safe. Now the only option is the Provo gun club shooting range, which I do like, but is too much of a gamble to know whether it will be open or not. What gives? How can Provo say we can't shoot in the mountains? I honestly don't know where I can legally shoot anymore.

I like to pick up to go shooting and have a spot to go to when it is a time I can afford without busting my wallet on gas.

Does anyone know of any good *LEGAL* shooting spots in the PG/AF/Orem Area for free? Kind of ridiculous I cant find anywhere anymore... so I'm asking for some help. Can we fight these restrictions from Provo, or is it really their right to limit where we can shoot in the mountains (obviously a safe distance from people)?

Thanks everyone, as you can see I am new, and I hope I share my knowledge and gain some from you all as well.

-Red Rezin

Re: Places to shoot in Utah County? Provo restrictions??

Been shooting up the Squaw Peak Rd in Provo Canyon since about 1998, but in my opinion, those areas needed to be closed to shooting. Most of them were unsafe with people shooting just yards away from the main rd. while traffic drives by, many of those areas are either on mountain bike/hiking trails or right near them and the biggest reason they needed to be shut down was because of all the junk that people would leave in these areas after shooting stuff up. That would eventually get any area shut down and it has. I used to shoot all the in the gravel pit up the hill in Springville near the Chevron gas station with the McDonald's in it, but that was shut down to shooting as well.

Now....the Provo Squaw Peak Range is open every Wed. afternoon/night and every Saturday (usually 8am-5pm or so) and only costs $2 if there is a Provo city volunteer rangemaster to collect your money. If you need to shoot there at other times of the week, there are 2 options: 1) reserve the range through Provo City Parks and Rec., costs $10 per use with a refundable $50 key deposit but you can host large groups at the range for that same price. 2) sign up to become a volunteer rangemaster and you get a key and free use the of the range (this is what I did). They require to work the range only 4 times a year to get these benefits. If you need to go the range sometime, PM me and I'll let you know when I'll be up there to open the gate for you. A group of us practice up there most Thursday afternoons (we of course lock the gate behind us)

You can also shoot up the right fork of Hobble Creek Canyon in Springville just a few miles up there is a large gravel pit on the left where tons of people shoot, BLM land so it's legal. Another option is the Utah County Sheriff's range at Thistle, UT, it is supposed to be open to the public every Saturday and offers a ton of different ranges.

I also used to shoot on the west side of Utah Lake like everyone else but I will not do it, it is just too dangerous with so many yahoo's out there.
    Action Target Portable Steel Targets: http://actiontarget.com/spt_cat_portable_targets.html

Welcome to the world of us living out East. I can remember going shooting at some gravel pits between PG and AF as a kid. There are probably houses there now.
    Don't confuse enthusiasm for competence

Want more grip for your M&P Pistol? Send me a message.

I dont go shooting in Utah Country anymore. On the west side of Utah lake there are just a mass of new housing developments, ATV's and bikes, and people who dont believe in back stops so you can get shot at any moment.

I like grantsville. There are lots of little mountain alcoves where you are shielded mostly and there is never any forest rangers being pains in the asses.
    "Amateurs talk about tactics, but professionals study logistics." - Gen. Robert Barrow, USMC (1980)
    www.acrforum.com

Yeah, wouldn't it be nice if it was required for everyone to get some safety/cleanup training before they could shoot their guns... that way we might not see so many restrictions. Yep I never go out west, too risky and too far out of the way for a simple sighting in trip.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

So Hartzpad, if I were to become a volunteer for the Provo range, how long are the hours on the days you cover? Once you get a key are you able to go at any time you want? That seems like a good option, are there any other requirements to get started?

Aziator, I just went hiking up in the hills and you are right, new developments and too many hiking trails seem to make what used to be some perfectly close and available shooting spots illegal all of a sudden in the PG/AF area. Didn't know the east was so restrictive either...I see videos on line of people shooting in their back yards all the time and figured it was in the east. Reminds me of being a kid growing up on the east coast and we had plenty of our land in the woods. Kinda wish I was back there again just to be able to shoot.

Grantsville is way out of my range, but I'm glad you have some spots to shoot uninterrupted there VariableBinary, I am jealous to say the least.

Looks like my only option for now is trying to be a range volunteer in Provo...Hartzpad, do I just call up the parks and rec for Provo City to do that?

Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rezin View Post
    Yeah, wouldn't it be nice if it was required for everyone to get some safety/cleanup training before they could shoot their guns... that way we might not see so many restrictions. Yep I never go out west, too risky and too far out of the way for a simple sighting in trip.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

So Hartzpad, if I were to become a volunteer for the Provo range, how long are the hours on the days you cover? Once you get a key are you able to go at any time you want? That seems like a good option, are there any other requirements to get started?

Aziator, I just went hiking up in the hills and you are right, new developments and too many hiking trails seem to make what used to be some perfectly close and available shooting spots illegal all of a sudden in the PG/AF area. Didn't know the east was so restrictive either...I see videos on line of people shooting in their back yards all the time and figured it was in the east. Reminds me of being a kid growing up on the east coast and we had plenty of our land in the woods. Kinda wish I was back there again just to be able to shoot.

Grantsville is way out of my range, but I'm glad you have some spots to shoot uninterrupted there VariableBinary, I am jealous to say the least.

Looks like my only option for now is trying to be a range volunteer in Provo...Hartzpad, do I just call up the parks and rec for Provo City to do that?

Thanks all!
    Hours are generally 2-4 hour blocks, not bad at all. You will be required to become a certified NRA safety officer which takes 8 hours of classroom and $40. Just call up Provo parks and rec and ask about it, but you may get a no because there are tons of people that are doing it and tons of keys out there, the downside of which is that the range is very often occupied when I go out there. There are way too many people that have keys now so you're best off reserving the range if you want to make sure you can use it everytime you go up there.
    Action Target Portable Steel Targets: http://actiontarget.com/spt_cat_portable_targets.html

People need to clean up after themselves or else we'll all be relegated to going to a range.

Sponsors