Thread: Insight MRDS vs. Trijicon RMR

Insight MRDS vs. Trijicon RMR

I received an Insight MRDS the other day. I was really digging the Trijicon RMR until I played with the Insight product a bit. I love these small reflex type optics as they are small, light, and minimalist in nature. I'd like to get a couple of these small optics to fit on a couple my shorties.

They're both good products but here are the things that really stand out about the Insight MRDS:

The sighting window although a bit smaller physically, seems bigger when you are looking through it. And the optic is much clearer with far less distortion than the RMR. If you saw my post a few weeks ago the distortion was one thing I pointed out about the Trijicon. What's also nice on the MRDS is that you have 4 or five different power settings. It actually has a power button. When you first turn it on it's in an automatic mode. The optic dims or brightens the dot according to lighting conditions. Another push of the button makes it full bright, another makes it medium, another low, and I believe another makes it visible with IR equipment only. Then of course if you hold the button it turns off. The RMR is on all the time and automatically adjusts brightness.

The MRDS comes with a 3.5 moa dot. You can get a 7 moa as well. The Trijicon has 4 and 8 moa. The Insight also comes with this nice aluminum housing to protect it from impact and the battery is installe via the top of the optic. On the Trijicon you have to remove the sight and place it in the bottom.

The downside on the MRDS is the mount that came with it is far, far too low. The sights are completely in the way and the RMR mount is a perfect co witness. I think there are different mounts for the MRDS.

Both are waterproof to 66 ft.

Battery life on the Insight is 1 year on medium. The Trijicon is 17,000 hrs and up to 35,000 hrs in dark storage.

Here are some pics

You can see the size and height difference in these. Note the aluminum housing on the Insight

The power switch on the MRDS

Topside battery compartment.

Re: Insight MRDS vs. Trijicon RMR

What's the price difference? Do you happen to have a link to a higher mount for the MRDS? I was thinking about one of the PDW XCR uppers and I'd like a smaller sight. On my full size XCR I have an EOTech.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

the Insight looks like it's going for round $400, and the RMR about $525. Although there's the RMR dual illumination which is about $400, I'm not sure of the difference.

That's a lot of bucks for a little hunk of stuff in any case.
    That guy, he said I should be oblong and have my knees removed. But I don't trust him, he plays the banjo.

tk

Good post. Very informative.

tk
    The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake free people get to make only once." Judge Alex Kozinski, 9th District

Yeah, that does sound a bit pricey. Seeing as how you can get a full size EOTech for the same price.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

I like how on the Insight you can swap batteries without removing the sight and having to re-zero. I only have experience on the JPoints and Docters.

Underground: The difference in the two Trijicon RMR's is that one (the more expensive?) has battery illumination only. The duel illumination has no batteries but rather fiber optics and tritium just like their ACOG's.

MadDog
    WWJWD (What Would John Wayne Do)

Sponsors