New to the XCR world - Page 2
Like Tree8Likes
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to the XCR world

Some XCR have shown accuracy, but in general it is not known for it. Service rifle accuracy (roughly 2" @ 100 yards) is more common. It's a trade off the quick barrel change system—Single barrel retaining fastener vs many or the more permanent types (AR).
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

I know that many say to run XCR's wet , Alex says not as much as other platforms (if I remember correctly) and Wolverine Supplies say they like to run wet. I've run mine wet with oils and I've also greased. Personally, I like to grease mine and haven't had issues. I've used TW25B and other low cost synthetics like permatex greases (as long as it's not colder than -25 celsius), and permatex extra fine graphite power in the trigger group.
    Travis Kay
    linkedin.com/in/kaytravis
    twitter.com/traviskay
    CCFR, CSSA, NRA member, are you? In the greater Vancouver area? Drop me a PM

Quote Originally Posted by xdmer View Post
    I know that many say to run XCR's wet , Alex says not as much as other platforms (if I remember correctly) and Wolverine Supplies say they like to run wet. I've run mine wet with oils and I've also greased. Personally, I like to grease mine and haven't had issues. I've used TW25B and other low cost synthetics like permatex greases (as long as it's not colder than -25 celsius), and permatex extra fine graphite power in the trigger group.
    Once broke in, I've run mine dry...didn't bother to clean them either with Brown Bear and other steel case ammo. Probably not the best idea....but these things are like tanks.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by torawhide41 View Post
    Thanks!! I love the color too!! Not sure what ya meat about the stock, but it does have lotsa room for mounting shit too! Haha!! As for the scope, It's just the mount that comes with the scope, and it's pretty much perfect... when ya close your eyes and mount the gun, you open your eyes and it's right there! Going to have to practice keeping both eyes open for the fast coyote acquisition! Ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If it ain't broke.........

But just in case, you mentioned not having a manual, so......

The height of the cheek rest on the stock is adjustable. You can remove the cheek piece by pulling back on it. Then you can raise it by sliding it back on in a higher groove.

Enjoy your rifle, it is a beauty.
    torawhide41 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchoutforStobor View Post
    If it ain't broke.........

But just in case, you mentioned not having a manual, so......

The height of the cheek rest on the stock is adjustable. You can remove the cheek piece by pulling back on it. Then you can raise it by sliding it back on in a higher groove.

Enjoy your rifle, it is a beauty.
    Well thanks a bunch! I didn't know the cheek piece was adjustable that's for sure! I did find a PDF of a manual, but I think it's for 1st gen cause I didn't see that in there! If anyone has a PDF of an up to date manual, I'd greatly
    appreciate it! This is the one I have:

Quote Originally Posted by torawhide41 View Post
    Well thanks a bunch! I didn't know the cheek piece was adjustable that's for sure! I did find a PDF of a manual, but I think it's for 1st gen cause I didn't see that in there! If anyone has a PDF of an up to date manual, I'd greatly
    appreciate it! This is the one I have:

And FYI....there's two bolts on the inside of the folding mechanism that will allow you to move the stock up and down at the interface with the rear receiver for even more adjustability.
    torawhide41 likes this.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

I've run my dry too without issues, but not extensively, and just use a bit of grease. I have kept the bolt wet a thin film of fluid film makes for easy cleaning. I've found that when running wet, you end up in an oil bath one way or another, and i can't stand it. One reason XCR's kick AR's butt, in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Once broke in, I've run mine dry...didn't bother to clean them either with Brown Bear and other steel case ammo. Probably not the best idea....but these things are like tanks.
    Travis Kay
    linkedin.com/in/kaytravis
    twitter.com/traviskay
    CCFR, CSSA, NRA member, are you? In the greater Vancouver area? Drop me a PM

If anyone need a PDF of the old XRC-L armorer's course, PM me.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

I don't like running a weapon wet. It just attracts dirt and will eventually cause failures. I don't want to start a CLP debate, but I use FrogLube when I clean. The crap works. I cleaned a trade-in AR the other day. I don't think the owner knew how to disassemble the BCG! The bolt was heavily ganked up. I don't usually use ForgLube on stuff in the shop because it doesn't get along with petroleum based stuff and I don't know what the customer is going to want to do. I tried several "cleaners" on the bolt with little success. I don't have the time to scrub for hours, so I put some frog on there and let it sit for about 20 minutes. I wiped the bolt off, cleaned off the frog, applied a light coat of hoppes oil and I was done.

On my firearms, I use frog. Apply, wipe off, reassemble. I know, I've heard of issues at 20 below, but I have issues at 20 below, so it's not a concern of mine.
    "Don't Tread On Me!"
    -- (reiterated without permission) Rich Hornay

Not to hijack, but my experience with Froglube is a PPQ I bought off a guy who owned it for all of 4 days. But he apparently decided FL was a good idea. Took a bit to get the stuff off, but I thought I got it. Then I tried shooting in 40 degree weather, that's +40 degree F. Light primer strikes, rounds fired fine in the VP9. Moron had lubed up the striker/channel with it too. Got it cleaned out and then took it back out in 40 degree weather. Light strikes again, but not as often, so I had to go back and clean again. I used just about everything I have to clean it...Hoppes solvent, 91% alcohol, Gun Scrubber. Haven't carried it since. Obviously you shouldn't lube the striker and channel to begin with, but I will never use FL on anything.
    torawhide41 likes this.
    Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsors