New to the XCR world - Page 3
Like Tree8Likes
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to the XCR world

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyChryst View Post
    Not to hijack, but my experience with Froglube is a PPQ I bought off a guy who owned it for all of 4 days. But he apparently decided FL was a good idea. Took a bit to get the stuff off, but I thought I got it. Then I tried shooting in 40 degree weather, that's +40 degree F. Light primer strikes, rounds fired fine in the VP9. Moron had lubed up the striker/channel with it too. Got it cleaned out and then took it back out in 40 degree weather. Light strikes again, but not as often, so I had to go back and clean again. I used just about everything I have to clean it...Hoppes solvent, 91% alcohol, Gun Scrubber. Haven't carried it since. Obviously you shouldn't lube the striker and channel to begin with, but I will never use FL on anything.
    Try soaking it in Mineral Spirits overnight to see if that helps. If not I will take it off your hands for the price of shipping and FFL transfer fee.Name:  peaceNLuv-2.gif
Views: 79
Size:  591 Bytes

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

Not to hijack, but my experience with Froglube is a PPQ I bought off a guy who owned it for all of 4 days. But he apparently decided FL was a good idea. Took a bit to get the stuff off, but I thought I got it. Then I tried shooting in 40 degree weather, that's +40 degree F. Light primer strikes, rounds fired fine in the VP9. Moron had lubed up the striker/channel with it too. Got it cleaned out and then took it back out in 40 degree weather. Light strikes again, but not as often, so I had to go back and clean again. I used just about everything I have to clean it...Hoppes solvent, 91% alcohol, Gun Scrubber. Haven't carried it since. Obviously you shouldn't lube the striker and channel to begin with, but I will never use FL on anything.
    I doubt frog had anything to do with your issues, but "to each their own". I use frog on ALL of my firearms and I have zero issues. But then I don't shoot crap ammo either. I'mnot going to say that people don't have issues related to frog, I'm just saying I don't. I'm pretty sure 416R will fail before frog, but my ass ain't going out in neg40 to prove it. At +40, I'm skeptical. I know one thing for sure, it WILL clean gank like nothing else.
    fmunk likes this.
    "Don't Tread On Me!"
    -- (reiterated without permission) Rich Hornay

The way you describe it, it does not sound like a problem related to Froglube.

This is the telling statement:
    Got it cleaned out and then took it back out in 40 degree weather. Light strikes again, but not as often
    By process of elimination you've already ruled out FL in the striker channel being the culprit. You also did not follow up after full cleaning to definitively attribute the problem to FL. Inconclusive evidence. FL like anything else, if not used correctly, can produce undesired effect. Like, pointing a gun and a LEO (that is a joke).

I'm frankly amazed you had trouble removing FL. Its base is coconut oil. Rubbing alcohol would have easily removed it. A stronger solvent like Hoppes would have gone through it without even breaking a sweat.

Sorry, this argument/reason just doesn't hold water.
    Last edited by fmunk; 03-20-2017 at 08:14 PM.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Well all I can tell you is I was wiping congealed minty gunk from the striker and channel the first time. After cleaning, I did the eraser test and damned near put a hole in my ceiling. Took it to the indoor range and it worked great. Then went to the outdoor range on New Year's Eve, testing bullet resistant paneling and got click, no bang, light primer strike. Cleaned again and pencil again launched great (blocked it from hitting the ceiling with a magazine this time). Did a comparison shoot of VP9/P320/PPQ/FNS/RAP/M&P at an indoor range and it worked fine.

Who said anything about crap ammo? It was Fiocchi 124 gr FMJ. I'm at the end of the case and only the PPQ has had problems, and only on colder days. Fired through all of the pistols above as well as the P228, SP2022, and P7PSP.

Again, nothing should have been put on the striker, FL, Mobil 1, CLP, Rem Oil or anything. You like FL? Go ahead and use it. No skin off my back. Just saying I won't.
    Carpenter likes this.
    Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

I agree with you, the striker/channel should not have been lubed. If it was gelled, it sounds like it was left way too wet anyway. I also thoroughly clean any firearm I receive, new or used, before I do anything with it. Sorry you had a bad experience. We all must base our opinions on something and I'll base my upon my own use. Like I said, it cleans gank like nothing else I have used.

Sorry. I wasn't implying you were using crap ammo. All I said was I don't.

I had a guy come in the shop yesterday telling me about his range time with a new Kimber Grand Raptor he picked up a couple of days earlier. He was shooting Winchester white box 230 FMJs. He said he had one round that wouldn't fire, even after several attempts in different guns. He showed it to me and when I looked at the mouth, it was crimped into the projectile. 45ACP headspaces off of the mouth. The round was simply seating in the chamber too deep (the firing pin didn't even touch the primer). I'm surprised it didn't get stuck.
    "Don't Tread On Me!"
    -- (reiterated without permission) Rich Hornay

Got it all set up the way I like!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by torawhide41 View Post
    Got it all set up the way I like!

The last picture is that you can see the red dot scope that is mounted in front of the ACOG... there's a little sight hole below the ACOG That works perfect!

I have to agree with Sean, xdmer and Mechanic. I drive all mine dry and dirty. They seem to love it.

Look out Canuck coyotes...

Why do you have a VFG and an AFG? Also, why even have the back up irons....unless those knobs on the ACOG mount are only finger tight?
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

That's a lot of sighting and gripping going on! Hey, whatever works for you is perfect. Very cool.
    Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsors