New to the XCR world
Like Tree8Likes
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New to the XCR world

New to the XCR world

Hey folks! I can FINALLY say that I'm new to this Wonderful world of XCR's! ...Well actually, it's the first semi-auto rifle I have owned of any sort, let alone AR type! It's Non restricted in Canada, so My intention is to f**k up many o coyote running across the 1/4 sections! Haha!

So I bought a lightly used XCR-L in 5.56 (keymod 2nd gen I believe). It came with a SWEET trijicon ACOG 3x30 fiber optic scope, a case, some ammo, forgrip accesories... etc...

Just wondering if there I any advice out there for a newbie like me...
    -what kind of cleaning/lubing habits should I get in to?
    -what kind of ammo should I load for it for best accuracy? (I was thinking 55gr nosler vArmageddon AND/Or maybe 69gr sierra matchking HPBT) and see what's makes a better mess the most accurately!
    -do I need to check things over frequently, er just grab a bigger pocket full of ammo?
    Thanks in advance guys!

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sean K. and fivesidedpolygon like this.

WOW!! Very nice!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

That is a very recent model, it should have every current upgrade. They call it the competition model because 3 gun people like the long hanguards. I believe they are equivalent to 15" handguards on the AR-15.

I really like the grey color. Your scope looks like it is mounted too high, you might look for a lower mount. Of course if it works for you, it's fine.
    Last edited by WatchoutforStobor; 03-18-2017 at 05:41 AM.

Lubricant – Just use whatever you prefer and follow the instructions. Asking about which one is moot. It's like asking a car forum about which wax to use. Everyone has an answer and there is no wrong answer (only if you pick one and use it wrong). I use Frog Lube because it's non-toxic and not petroleum based. People have had problems with it in cold conditions, but they've since come up with the formulation specifically for that. Some people even use motor oil. Gun lube is essentially the same, but sold at a higher price.

Ammo – Anything you can get your hands on. If it's picky at all gas settings, then something is not right with your rifle. What's the twist rate on your barrel? even then, it really doesn't matter until out to further distances (300 yards and beyond, gross generalization).
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

Welcome! Can't see the pics.;(

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

You're about to have a lot of fun!
    Travis Kay
    linkedin.com/in/kaytravis
    twitter.com/traviskay
    CCFR, CSSA, NRA member, are you? In the greater Vancouver area? Drop me a PM

Quote Originally Posted by WatchoutforStobor View Post
    That is a very recent model, it should have every cutrent upgrade. They call it the competition model because 3 gun people like the long hanguards. I believe they are equivalent to 15" handguards on the AR-15.

I really like the grey color. Your scope looks like it is mounted too high, you might look for a lower mount. Of course if it works for you, it's fine.
    Thanks!! I love the color too!! Not sure what ya meat about the stock, but it does have lotsa room for mounting shit too! Haha!! As for the scope, It's just the mount that comes with the scope, and it's pretty much perfect... when ya close your eyes and mount the gun, you open your eyes and it's right there! Going to have to practice keeping both eyes open for the fast coyote acquisition! Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    Welcome! Can't see the pics.;(
    They should be there?

New to the XCR world

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    Lubricant – Just use whatever you prefer and follow the instructions. Asking about which one is moot. It's like asking a car forum about which wax to use. Everyone has an answer and there is no wrong answer (only if you pick one and use it wrong). I use Frog Lube because it's non-toxic and not petroleum based. People have had problems with it in cold conditions, but they've since come up with the formulation specifically for that. Some people even use motor oil. Gun lube is essentially the same, but sold at a higher price.

Ammo – Anything you can get your hands on. If it's picky at all gas settings, then something is not right with your rifle. What's the twist rate on your barrel? even then, it really doesn't matter until out to further distances (300 yards and beyond, gross generalization).
    On my ol rifles I just use a tiny bit of gun oil or I use G96... I've also read of pouring motor oil down it but I'll look into frog lube as well. I didn't get an instruction manual with my gun cause it was used so that's why I'm askin these dumb questions I guess!

Also for the ammo, I know this thing will eat anything I throw at it, but just lookin for an accurate load that's good for wrecking coyotes, gophers etc with accuracy... the fmj's will assumingly just poke a pencil hole through, leaving a wounded animal running away...so that's why I was interested in hand loads! Barrel is 1:9 twist
    Thanks!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsors