Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fluting heavy barrel, any imput?

fluting heavy barrel, any imput?

Ive seen a few of the 18.6 heavy barrels on the site fluted. Since this is the only barrel profile available in Canada to keep the rifles unresticted , a few of us are interested in fluting the heavy barrel. How does the fluting affect the heat dissipation, not that its a huge deal with a semi only rifle. Has anyone who has had this done encountered any drawbacks? on average, what does this set you back. thanksfor anyinfo

Re: fluting heavy barrel, any imput?

I've had a few barrels fluted by ADCO Firearms. I have not had any negative side effects in regards to accuracy.

Cost is around $120 plus shipping.
    "When your life depends on it, you will not rise to the level of your expectations, but rather fall to the level of your training."

Maybe I should get my 1/8 hbar fluted.

And as far as heat dissipation, it is suppose to help keep you barrel cooler due to the increased surface area. More surface area, more places to come in contact with cooler air, and the faster your barrel will cool. And I did not notice any adverse affects to accuracy when I shot mine. Hope this helps.
    "When your life depends on it, you will not rise to the level of your expectations, but rather fall to the level of your training."

I highly recommend fluting the HBAR.
    Semper Fidelis

so how does the fluting affect the handling of the rifle to what I assume is an already front heavy gun. Does it get it closer 16'' weight or is still very heavy in the front end. I'm looking a buying an XCR just not sure if I should get 16'' or the 18'' and no I don't plan on clearing rooms with this gun but it could be my go to rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by jbsmwd View Post
    so how does the fluting affect the handling of the rifle to what I assume is an already front heavy gun. Does it get it closer 16'' weight or is still very heavy in the front end. I'm looking a buying an XCR just not sure if I should get 16'' or the 18'' and no I don't plan on clearing rooms with this gun but it could be my go to rifle.
    Fluting helps tremendously. My XCR was a lot less front heavy, especially compared to a Sig 556 after fluting. But in hindsight, I wish I would have just gotten the 16" light barrel for the 5.56.

Someone on this forum weighed their fluted HBAR on some postal scales and it weighed only about 3.5 ounces more than the light pencil barrel.
    I had my HBAR fluted and it made a huge difference in improving the balance of the weapon. It's still a little bit more front end heavy than I consider ideal, but I'm very glad I had it done.
    It also looks cool 8)

ETA: I think the fluted barrel that was weighed was a 16".
    Semper Fidelis

Quote Originally Posted by Cid1911 View Post
    Someone on this forum weighed their fluted HBAR on some postal scales and it weighed only about 3.5 ounces more than the light pencil barrel.
    I had my HBAR fluted and it made a huge difference in improving the balance of the weapon. It's still a little bit more front end heavy than I consider ideal, but I'm very glad I had it done.
    It also looks cool 8)

ETA: I think the fluted barrel that was weighed was a 16".
    This is correct. Those were my barrels.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsors