First round High, then groups fine - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First round High, then groups fine

Re: First round High, then groups fine

I don't know what I am talking about but does the primer strike or case look any different than the others after firing?

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

Whole Bunches theory sounds like it might have some merit... when he said it wasn't locking up the same, he said "exactly the same"... I would bet that was possible, especially in a new rifle. And in his case the fliers went away as the arm was broken in. If it where me, and I cared, I would recreate what Whole Bunches did, the three ways of chambering a round, and see what that turned up.
    hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and make hay while the sun shines!

It's actually quite common for the first "hand chambered' round of an automatically operating firearm to group differently than the rest,or at least the debate that it exists is common.Any handloader will tell you consistency is key to accuracy,I mean why else would you weight powder charges and cases,deburr primer pockets,chamfer case rims and all the rest? Simple,the more closely you want those little holes on the paper the more variables you remove from the equation.The same thing applies here.The bolt does not cycle with the same force when fired as it does when you drop it from locked,or when you hand cycle it.Once the lugs have more wear,and everything else has had a chance to "wear in together" the more consistent that will make it because they now fit together better.Some times it goes away,sometimes it won't.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse.... A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.----John Stuart Mill

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

I'll keep an eye on it, I've got a load that the 6.8 set up likes and I'm still in the boiler group wise, now I just need to get out hunting again. Thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by dont_tread_on_me View Post
    It's actually quite common for the first "hand chambered' round of an automatically operating firearm to group differently than the rest,or at least the debate that it exists is common.[b]Any handloader will tell you consistency is key to accuracy,I mean why else would you weight powder charges and cases,deburr primer pockets,chamfer case rims and all the rest? Simple,the more closely you want those little holes on the paper the more variables you remove from the equation.The same thing applies here.The bolt does not cycle with the same force when fired as it does when you drop it from locked,or when you hand cycle it.Once the lugs have more wear,and everything else has had a chance to "wear in together" the more consistent that will make it because they now fit together better.Some times it goes away,sometimes it won't.
    I have done all those in red, and there is never a 1 MOA difference even if I miss all those steps. Sometimes there is no difference at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsors