First round High, then groups fine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First round High, then groups fine

First round High, then groups fine

I've been getting some accuracy issues from my 6.8 barrel / bolt. First round goes high and then the next rounds are around 1.5 moa. This doesn't happen with my 5.56 barrel / bolt. Any suggestions?

Re: First round High, then groups fine

I assume you mean the first round fired from a freshly loaded magazine which has been inserted into the XCR and not the very first round of the day fired from a cleaned barrel. I had the same thing happening in one of my AR uppers in .223. I tried differing approaches: letting the bolt go forward with the bolt release; letting the bolt go forward by pulling back the charging handle and then letting go; not letting the gun run dry by leaving a round in the chamber and inserting another loaded magazine. In the first 2 choices it wasn't chambering the round with the same force as having fired the rifle so the bolt wasn't locking up exactly the same. The more I fired it, the less the first round would be off; finally the first round stayed in the rest of the group. I figured the bolt lugs finally wore in with the barrel extension and made the whole area smooth enough that the bolt always locked up the same, regardless of force.

Advice: keep on shooting and see if the situation improves.

That would make sense and yes, fresh mag, not cold bore, the 6.8 set up probably only has a few hundred rounds through it, unlike the 5.56 ;D which has been consistant.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Whole Bunches View Post
    I assume you mean the first round fired from a freshly loaded magazine which has been inserted into the XCR and not the very first round of the day fired from a cleaned barrel. I had the same thing happening in one of my AR uppers in .223. I tried differing approaches: letting the bolt go forward with the bolt release; letting the bolt go forward by pulling back the charging handle and then letting go; not letting the gun run dry by leaving a round in the chamber and inserting another loaded magazine. In the first 2 choices it wasn't chambering the round with the same force as having fired the rifle so the bolt wasn't locking up exactly the same. The more I fired it, the less the first round would be off; finally the first round stayed in the rest of the group. I figured the bolt lugs finally wore in with the barrel extension and made the whole area smooth enough that the bolt always locked up the same, regardless of force.

Advice: keep on shooting and see if the situation improves.
    If the round goes down range, did that not mean the bolt properly lock up?

Yup, and the more I think about it, it doesn't make any sense, but the mag tension and bolt scavanging off the top of the mag might have been what he was talking about. I don't know enough about that to make a judgement. All I do know, is this is happening and although the accuracy is close I'd like a "bit' more consistancy.

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
    Yup, and the more I think about it, it doesn't make any sense, but the mag tension and bolt scavanging off the top of the mag might have been what he was talking about. I don't know enough about that to make a judgement. All I do know, is this is happening and although the accuracy is close I'd like a "bit' more consistancy.
    Is this for 100 yards? If it is at 100 yards, then the higher one means it's going faster and due to more pressure. A round going faster the first shot, I have never heard of. Normally rounds go higher (string) the more the barrel heats up.

yes, at 100 yds. I'm not anticipating, I'm not recoil shy by any means, just don't get it.

My experience is slower bullets due to being in the barrel longer hit higher than faster bullets...

Try swabbing out your barrel out before shooting, just in case its the lube doing it. :2cents:
    Fio para bellator - be the Prepared Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by gunner69 View Post
    Try swabbing out your barrel out before shooting, just in case its the lube doing it. :2cents:
    Don't think that's it, he said it's the first round every mag.

I can't see how a mag would cause this issue, the mag feeds or it does not feed. I can't see how it would alter the shot. I am going to say it's just coincidence. If it's not then just ignore the first round, and use the other 29 to zero.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors