Rifling change?

Thread: Rifling change?

Rifling change?

I just bought a new XCR. I see they changed the rifling from 1/10 ( shown in the manual photo) to what I have at 1/11. Any idea why, or do they make both?

Re: Rifling change?

Its early I haven't had coffee yet so bear with me as I try and make this far more complicated than it is...

There is more than just a twist rate change there is also a chamber/cartridge upgrade called 6.8SPC spec 11 this developement on the chamber is much like the difference betwen a 223 and 5.56 chamber = basically a longer throat that reduces pressures by as miuch as 2000 or more PSI and increases velocities.

The change over to the 1-11" twist rifling also helps in lowering pressures as well the lighter 270 cal bullets that are fired in the 6.8 stabilize better resulting in better accuracy.

So if you have a barrel that is marked 1-10 it has the original 1-10" twist rate barrels and the older Rem saami spec 6.8SPC chamber.

If you have a 1-11 twist barrel you have the new updated spec 11 chamber.

There are reamers available that will allow a 1-10" twist barrel to be upgraded to the spec 11 chamber.

There is one more issue just like 223/5.56 you can shoot a 223 in a rifle that is chambered for 5.56 but you shouldn't shoot a 5.56 same goes with the 6.8 you can shoot 6.8SPC in a spec 11 chamber but you should shoot spec 11 bullets in a saami spec 1-10 barrel.

Hope that helps a bit.

CC

Thanks, I truly appreciate the fast and interesting reply. I had not seen anything outlining the changes and your explanation is helpful. Cheers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Just FYI I believe ALL 6.8 XCR barrels, regardless of twist rate, have SPC II chambers. Alex waited until that had started to become the standard before doing anything in 6.8. My barrel, which is a 1/10 is marked SPC II.

Bolster is correct. ALL RA XCR 6.8 bbls are SPC II chamber. RA NEVER made the original SAAMI spec chamber. The twist rate changed b/c 1/11 has been found to be more effective for a wider range of bullets.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Sponsors