Question about mags. Have been running 5.56 mags with no issue. Differences?

Thread: Question about mags. Have been running 5.56 mags with no issue. Differences?

Question about mags. Have been running 5.56 mags with no issue. Differences?

When I bought my XCR-L it came with a 6.8SPC barrel & bolt (as well as a 5.56 setup)but no 6.8 mags. I have been running it with my 5.56 GI mags & I have not had a failure yet. What difference, if any, are there between the 6.8 & 5.56 mags? I'm tryin to figure out if it's worth putting the cash out for 6.8 mags when I already have a pile of 5.56. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by SemperParatus View Post
    When I bought my XCR-L it came with a 6.8SPC barrel & bolt (as well as a 5.56 setup)but no 6.8 mags. I have been running it with my 5.56 GI mags & I have not had a failure yet. What difference, if any, are there between the 6.8 & 5.56 mags? I'm tryin to figure out if it's worth putting the cash out for 6.8 mags when I already have a pile of 5.56. Thank you!
    I've got a couple 5.56 poly mags. I can get 6, maybe seven rounds of 6.8 in them before they bind. Your results with steel 5.56 may be better. I've got 10 CProducts steel 6.8 mags that hold 25 rounds each. The PRI mags supposedly will allow 2.3" OAL, but I can't confirm that and they must be made of gold for what they cost.

I also have 10 of the LWRC/Magpul Six8 30 round mags, but they are too wide and thick for the XCR mag well. I'm planning a mod to mill out the well to accept them and standard STANAG mags, but not there yet.

I was able to fit 9 into my Bravo Company GI mags without issue but looking for higher capacity. I will look into the mags you mentioned & see what they're going for. Thanks for the info!

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Holy shit. $40+ for a 25rd? Wow. I found a couple of sites that aren't too bad. The first is from a company I've never heard of before & at $13 each, they're probably on ProMags level. The next is Barrett & they're going for $31 each. Best I've found so far as far as value vs. quality.

Ammo To Go : 1 - ASC AR-15 6.8 SPC 25rd. Stainless Steel Magazine Black Color [ASC6825RDSS] - $12.95

BARRETT M468 REC7 30RD 6.8SPC MAGAZINE - West Fork Armory

The mags on the first link are stainless with anti-tilt followers. Might make sense to just rebuild them with quality AR springs when they loose tension.

If they have stainless springs, they're probably as good as any. My cheap shit 5.56 poly mags cost twice that; I'm pretty sure they made the springs out of my old Fiat X1/9.

If the mag has a quality spring, I don't mind keeping them loaded. If they're pot metal junk shit springs, the constant compression can take its toll.

At ~$13, if I didn't already have enough SS mags, I'd be in on that. I prefer poly mags. Some steel mags are hard on the brass, and as you see, options are limited with 6.8. The CProducts mags look like they were spot welded by a blind guy. If you pick up some of the ASC mags, report back. I'd like to know your opinion.

I'm looking to make the Uber XCR, able to feed/shoot any mag/ammo. Not that I would pry ammo out of someone's cold, dead hands...unless the need arose.

Roger that.

The way things are going it's smart to have a multi caliber rifle. I have AR15's, AR10's, AK's, bolt actions, & the list goes on & on. One day I'm looking at all of these guns thinking to myself, if shit did hit the fan, what would I grab? I can't taken them all.

6.8 spc is longer than .223. I have a piston AR chambered in that caliber. If you reload, 6.8 specific mags are a must. You want to load as long as possible. ASC makes the best 6.8 mag I've seen. Stainless steel, anti-tilt follower. The only thing with metal mags is you need to smooth the feed lips if you want reload, otherwise they tend to scratch up the brass. Since polymer is weaker than steel per pound, poly mags are thicker and have less compartment space, which is why a lot of people have problem getting 6.8 SPC to run in them. ASC mags aren't that expensive either. Like $25 a pop. I'd invest in those.

I have ASC mags (16 each) and they are good to go. No issues.
    When the difference between life and death is a matter of seconds, the police are only minutes away!
    (not knocking police, just gun grabbers)

DSM
    Best 6.8 mags I've ever used were PRI but you're going to pay for them so wait and catch a sale. For range mags I've used those AR-Stoners from Midway and never had issues. Second on some crocus cloth polish on the feed lips with those however.
    When have any of our plans ever actually worked? We plan, we get there, all hell breaks loose.

Sponsors