Which brass deflector for 7.62x39mm? Annoying FTEs today.

Thread: Which brass deflector for 7.62x39mm? Annoying FTEs today.

Which brass deflector for 7.62x39mm? Annoying FTEs today.

Hello,
    What is the correct size/length for the 7.62mm brass deflector? I have the 7.62 and 5.56 kits and may have switched them. With the 7.62 kit today I fired 30 rounds (1 mag) but decided to stop there because of 5-6 failure to ejects. The brass deflector that is on the rifle now is approximately 1 3/8 inches long while the one I took off the rifle (when I took the 5.56 kit off) is just a hair over 1 inch long. Do I have them mixed up?

***weapons data***

I was using a mixture of Yugo brass case (plain brown box with 25 rounds per box) and Norinco bronze colored steel case (20 rounds per yellow box). When the rifle did function correctly the ejection pattern was all over, from nearly straight ahead to about 2 o'clock. The mag was loaded with 20 Yugo on top and 10 Norinco at the bottom. The first 10 rounds or so (Yugo) functioned fine with the gas was set on position 2. After that however the malfs started. I upped the gas to 3 and then 4 with the only difference being the kick of the rifle and how dinged up the case mouth was getting. The malfs persisted despite the gas setting and the type of ammo. I was using one C Products gen III mag that I can't say if I'd used before. This 7.62 kit gets very little use but has been reliable in the past.

Davy

Re: Which brass deflector for 7.62x39mm? Annoying FTEs today.

Other more knowledgeable people will probably speak up but I do not think it has anything to do with the brass defector. If the 'bras' did not get pulled/extracted from the chamber then the deflector was not in play yet.
    Did the 'brass' exit the chamber and stovepipe?

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

Yeah, I should have explained further. The stoppages were all the same. The extracted brass was slammed back into the chamber backwards (the empty mouth towards the rear) and pinned against the next fresh round that was trying to be fed into the chamber. My thought is that, if it is the incorrect brass deflector, it caused the brass to bounce back inside the ejection port.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

I don't know about the problem, but RE: deflector, the shorter one is the 7.62. The 5.56 has the hole pretty centered, and the 7.62, the hole is closer to the edge.
    hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and make hay while the sun shines!

The wrong one can cause malfunctions. That may not be what you're experiencing, but just put the shorter one on there and leave it. You don't really need to change it out.

That guy, he said I should be oblong and have my knees removed. But I don't trust him, he plays the banjo.

Thanks all! It looks like I have the wrong one installed. :duh:

I'll change it out and fire three or four mags as soon as I can to make sure it is good to go.

I would check your ejector bolts to ensure that they're tight.
    The above text may or may not represent the views of the XCR Forum, LurpyGeek, or various personalities contained therein. May not be reproduced without the express written consent of Major League Baseball. Keep out of reach of children. Consult a doctor before reading. May cause drowsiness, itching, apathy and vomiting. Do not resume sexual activity while operating heavy machinery. Thank you and good day.

Okay. I checked the bolts on the elector and they are tight. I put the shorter deflector on and fired 30 more today and all was well. On gas setting 2 there were a few times the bolt stopped in the rearward position because it didn't have the oompf to strip the next round off the nearly full mag. When I bumped it up to setting 3 there were no more problems. Thanks everyone!

Sponsors