FTF with Stell Cased Ammo

Thread: FTF with Stell Cased Ammo

FTF with Stell Cased Ammo

I prefer brass cased Russian ammo out of my 7.62x39-L and have shot 800+ rounds with 0 malfunctions.
    My father in-law recently gave me 600 rounds of steel cased wolf (the kind you have to open with that annoying, huge can opener), and the stuff jams regularly. When shooting with my wife or friends, I usually only load 20 rds in the mag just out of convenience but still experience FTF. I've tried opening up the gas setting but it didn't help. Upon inspection of the magazine, I found that for some reason the steel casings don't like moving up in the mag after rounds have been shot. I've tried new and older models of the c-products mag (the newer one I bought seems of much better quality than the older one that was shipped with my rifle). Not sure if it's the strength of the spring or that the steel ammo just doesn't slide against the mag walls as well as brass does.
    What experience have y'all had shooting steel 7.62x39 out of the xcr-L?
    Have any of you gotten it to shoot reliably? (I don't care about AK's or SKS. I use an XCR)

Re: FTF with Stell Cased Ammo

Doesn't sound like an Ammo problem. Sounds like a mag issue. This is exactly what mine would do. fire off 2-3 rounds and then jam. I would pull the mag and it was like a salt shaker exept with 7.62 rounds instead of salt. > Pull them apart and look at the welds on the inside. Most of my worst ones had large rough spots or burs that were catching on the follower. I sent them back (twice) and all work well now. I do have one that I fixed on my own by sanding the inside of the mag where the rough spots were. After that and a little sanding/buffing of the follower it now runs 100%.
    Riding, Shooting, or Golfing...you pick and I will be there.

The 7.62x39 round in AR type mags seems problematic for all guns, just not the XCR. AR's that shoot this round also seem to experience the same issue.

I bought six 7.62x39 directly from C-Products, and only 2 work without modification. I got one to work with slight modification. Just file down the front edge a little bit so when you push a round out of the mag, it easily clears. I still need to modify the other non-functional mags.

A stronger spring will also help. Wolff Springs makes springs for the 7.62x39 mags. I have been meaning to get these springs for awhile now, but have not shot much lately to be in a hurry to get them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Depending on how bad the insides are the Wolff springs won't fix the issue. The one that I fixed I am running with Wolff springs and it runs great now, but mine seriously looked like a spent mine field on the inside before I got new ones. The one I fixed I had to knock off a few burs that were the size of a clipped finger nail.

Once the insides are smooth however, they certainly help make sure the round is up at the top.
    Riding, Shooting, or Golfing...you pick and I will be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Depending on how bad the insides are the Wolff springs won't fix the issue. The one that I fixed I am running with Wolff springs and it runs great now, but mine seriously looked like a spent mine field on the inside before I got new ones. The one I fixed I had to knock off a few burs that were the size of a clipped finger nail.

Once the insides are smooth however, they certainly help make sure the round is up at the top.
    Good point. This goes with all mags, if there are burs inside the mag, the springs (even the good ones), will not function properly.

That was definitely a problem with the earlier mags. The seams were wavy and uneven which would hang up the follower, usually right as it starts to hit the first part of the curve.

That guy, he said I should be oblong and have my knees removed. But I don't trust him, he plays the banjo.

I have 6 3rd gen C-Products mags and they all work flawlessly. Since C-Products went out of business, there is now ammosc.com and the another outfit that makes these mags. Maybe someone else can post the other company's website?
    Visit Minute of Angle Forums
    A truth’s initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed. When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.

AIMSurplus has the AMMOSC.com mags for a great price

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...ine&groupid=14
    Visit Minute of Angle Forums
    A truth’s initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed. When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Difranco View Post
    AIMSurplus has the AMMOSC.com mags for a great price

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...ine&groupid=14
    Got 6 mags from them and they all function so far. AMMOSC is the best I found so far.
    "Thoughtcrime does not entail death: thoughtcrime is death."
    - George Orwell, 1984, Book 1, Chapter 2

"ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS"- George Orwell

Thanks for the help. I'll check out what y'all have mentioned.

Sponsors