1000 yard AK!!!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1000 yard AK!!!

1000 yard AK!!!

There's a tv show called "Sons of Guns" where they took an AK-47 but a kreiger barrel, a better trigger and a better stock and made it into a sniper rifle using 7.62x39. Could that be possible with an XCR in the same caliber???

Re: 1000 yard AK!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jawara View Post
    There's a tv show called "Sons of Guns" where they took an AK-47 but a kreiger barrel, a better trigger and a better stock and made it into a sniper rifle using 7.62x39. Could that be possible with an XCR in the same caliber???

I am sure it can be done. With a heavy barrel, reloaded custom rounds up to the desired velocity you need, there is no reason why it cannot be done.

Standard AK pushes the standard 124gr AK bullet about 2400 fps, if you can make a load to get a little bit hotter, say 2600 fps, it should reach 1000 easily. As long as you can stay supersonic at your intended target than you should be good to go.

The AK bullet is not that great of a flier, so another thing they might have done is used a special bullet that flies better. Some bullets do fly flatter (flatter = better) than others, but there is no reason why the AK platform cannot accept a better flying bullet similar to the 6.5 Grendel.

Is it in the new season? I've only seen the first one.

I agree with EC.
    "Thoughtcrime does not entail death: thoughtcrime is death."
    - George Orwell, 1984, Book 1, Chapter 2

"ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS"- George Orwell

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

They used a .308 Saiga.Pretty stupid idea in my opinion,they wanted $3000 for it and you can buy any number of .308 chambered AR's that would do essentially the same thing for a lot less coin.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse.... A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.----John Stuart Mill

How much easier was the project when they "cheated" and used the .308 over the standard AK round of 7.62x39? Can a reloader with the right powder and right bullet make the rounds perform in a similar fashion or does the case size/shape make the .308 always outperform the 7.62x39 no matter how your custom load the cartridge? Is it as simple as the case volume that drives the performance of these two 30 calibers?

I've never reloaded so I expect this to be a Reloading 101 question. Thanks.

I need to make a correction. I didnt see the whole show I saw this clip http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/sons...0-yard-ak.html because last night I got a wild bug up my butt and googled "match grade AK-47" they didnt say anything about using a .308, what a bunch a dicks!!! I was thinking those Krieger barrels had make fairy dust in them something!!! Thanks for clearing that up! Thats why I make a fool of myself and ask gun questions on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jawara View Post
    I need to make a correction. I didnt see the whole show I saw this clip http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/sons...0-yard-ak.html because last night I got a wild bug up my butt and googled "match grade AK-47" they didnt say anything about using a .308, what a bunch a dicks!!! I was thinking those Krieger barrels had make fairy dust in them something!!! Thanks for clearing that up! Thats why I make a fool of myself and ask gun questions on this forum.
    Such BS, I thought they were using the 7.62x39 round! Ofcourse a .308 makes it to 1000 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by dont_tread_on_me View Post
    Theu used a .308 Saiga.Pretty stupid idea in my opinion,they wanted 00 for it and you can buy any number of .308 chambered AR's that would do essentially the same thing for a lot less coin.
    Well that is what a 'Reality' show does for you, drives up the cost.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

First of all I HATE THAT EFFING SHOW!!!! That being said, I can't stop watching it until the end of the first season. Mainly because it passes the time, not to mention all the dipsh*t things they do and say.

For example:

The "contractor" who needed the remote operated, mounted M16 on the top of his vehicle. RETARDED. It looked flimsy as hell. A couple rounds from an AK, or even the elements would probably wreak havoc with it.

The Riverine (brown water Navy) guy who wanted twin M16's mounted because they need a large volume of fire to suppress or break contact. Huh? What are two M16's gonna do, that a 240, or twin 240's won't? STUPID!!! Not to mention they made it sound like the Navy was going to buy the whole set-up instead of just the mount.

Plus, you guys already touched on the 1,000m AK. First thing I noticed was it was a Saiga .308 by the magazine. FAIL! Ok, so it's still in an AK action. The ridiculously long Krieger barrel (which I didn't realize was the most accurate barrel in the world! Thanks Sons Of Guns for enlightening me!) surely helped push that bullet out to 1,000M... oh wait... They really didn't do a good accuracy test out to 1,000m. Just that BS accuracy test at 25m!

Those guys are effing retarded, and I would NEVER buy anything from them. I can't wait until I can find American Guns at one of the haji vid shops as there's at least that hottie Paige Wyatt on it.

Other interesting factoid, a bone stock M4 weighs 10lbs. (Flotation device episode).

Yep I agree,the show is full of stupid.Not to mention will the owner/operator is an ass.He comes across as a condescending prick most of the time,no wonder they have that disclaimer "don't try this at home" because most of the shit they do is retawded! The show is like watching a train wreck,you want to look away but can't.It amazes me some of the stupid things they say and do. :duh:
    Just for giggles I did a ballistic chart on the 7.62x39.A 124 gr bullet at 2400 fps with a 200 yard zero,drops somewhere around 67 feet at 1000 yards!

How much easier was the project when they "cheated" and used the .308 over the standard AK round of 7.62x39? Can a reloader with the right powder and right bullet make the rounds perform in a similar fashion or does the case size/shape make the .308 always outperform the 7.62x39 no matter how your custom load the cartridge? Is it as simple as the case volume that drives the performance of these two 30 calibers?

I've never reloaded so I expect this to be a Reloading 101 question. Thanks.
    That last sentence above probably answered your question,but yes case capacity has a lot to do with generating more velocity.The .308 using a 168 grain boattail at 2650 fps with a 200 yard zero drops 36.33 ft at 100 yards.The .308 has 56 grains of case capacity,while the 7.62x39 has only 35.5.Projectile weight and shape also tremendously affects how aerodynamic it is and thus how long it retains that velocity.Short fat bullets don't fly that well while long (which usually means heavier) skinny ones do,not very difficult to understand why.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse.... A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.----John Stuart Mill

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsors