Heavy Hammer Spring?

Thread: Heavy Hammer Spring?

Heavy Hammer Spring?

Just picked up a 7.62x39 conversion, (yipee, cheaper ammo ) I know I should swap hammer springs for reliable primer hits with steel cased ammo, question:

Is it necessary to swap the spring when I go back to 5.56?

Was curious what other folks are doing or if it presents any issues leaving the heavy spring in all the time.
    "Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." - Pres. A. Lincoln

Re: Heavy Hammer Spring?

Good question, but the answer is simply no.
    The 7.62 spring is fine for both.
    When Mad Max comes... I'll be waiting !!!

In my case, my 5.56 XCR doesn't have the newer trigger. It does, however, have a nice smooth 2 stage trigger pull which I like. When I installed the 7.62x39 conversion kit and heavier hammer spring, it increased my trigger pull and eliminated the 2 stage pull. As an experiment, I put back in the 5.56 hammer spring and found no failures to fire 7.62x39 ammo, so I left the lighter 5.56 hammer spring installed. So, try both springs and see how it goes. I'm up to 1310 rounds of 7.62x39 (Wolf, Golden Tiger, and Monarch brands) with no failures to fire with the 5.56 hammer spring.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Whole Bunches View Post
    In my case, my 5.56 XCR doesn't have the newer trigger. It does, however, have a nice smooth 2 stage trigger pull which I like. When I installed the 7.62x39 conversion kit and heavier hammer spring, it increased my trigger pull and eliminated the 2 stage pull. As an experiment, I put back in the 5.56 hammer spring and found no failures to fire 7.62x39 ammo, so I left the lighter 5.56 hammer spring installed. So, try both springs and see how it goes. I'm up to 1310 rounds of 7.62x39 (Wolf, Golden Tiger, and Monarch brands) with no failures to fire with the 5.56 hammer spring.
    I think I will do the same. Put the 556 back in. With the old trigger, the lighter springer got frequent LPS, especially after my Bill Springfield Trigger job, even for 556.

Hmmmm,

I have the newer trigger, so I'll experiment 1st to see of the 5.56 spring will work reliably. Good to know that leaving the heavier one in won't hurt anything if I go that route.
    "Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." - Pres. A. Lincoln

Got my 7.62 kit about a month ago and didn't put the heavy spring in until yesterday. At first it was ok then I started having light strikes once in awhile. So today I put the heavy spring in and so far all is well. Even switched to check other calibers and no issues. Only difference I can tell is it takes a little more poop to pull the charging handle back now at all times, just a little stiffer. Hell that's what we all need right???????

Was able to hit the range today with the 7.62x39 conversion. I didn't change out the hammer spring and got realiable hits on everything to include, Winc white box, Tulammo, Wolf and Russian made steel case stuff in a white box. (begins Uly,,, etc) Think i'll continue with the orignal spring until problems arise.

I shot my today with the 556 spring on Norinco steel cased from about 20 years ago and it worked fantastic!
    "Spes Mea in Deo Est"--My hope is in GOD
    The antidote for fifty enemies is one friend.--Aristotle

Sponsors