Lil Range Time w/New conversion

Thread: Lil Range Time w/New conversion

Lil Range Time w/New conversion

Had a chance to hit the range with my new 7,62x39 conversion this week. Mine came with the RA muzzle break and is a heavy profile. Definitely changed the balance of the rifle going from a lite profile 5.56 barrel. (obvious I know, not that bad tho) I used the original hammer spring. I also had with me 3 30 round and 2 10 round ASC magazines and several different brands of steel cases ammo along with Win White Box brass cased stuff.

Since my rifle is well broken in shooting 5.56, I thought I would start shooting on gas setting 3 and have to report no malfunction at all. After 60 rounds of WWB brass stuff, I moved to gas setting 2 and it still functioned flawlessly with the brass stuff. Continued with the steel stuff and all was good until I got to tulammo. 2 stuck cases within 5 rounds. Moved to gas setting 3 and all was good again. I was only able to shoot out to 50 yards, but have to report that all rounds fired, (320 total) fell into 1 ragged 2 inch hole. I was concentrating on function this trip, not accuracy. Also all 5 magazines fed flawlessly.

Overall, I am very happy with the conversion, but I am not sure about the RA break, more shooting before I make a final decision on it.
    "Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." - Pres. A. Lincoln

Re: Lil Range Time w/New conversion

Quote Originally Posted by cjt50 View Post
    Had a chance to hit the range with my new 7,62x39 conversion this week. Mine came with the RA muzzle break and is a heavy profile. Definitely changed the balance of the rifle going from a lite profile 5.56 barrel. (obvious I know, not that bad tho) I used the original hammer spring. I also had with me 3 30 round and 2 10 round ASC magazines and several different brands of steel cases ammo along with Win White Box brass cased stuff.

Since my rifle is well broken in shooting 5.56, I thought I would start shooting on gas setting 3 and have to report no malfunction at all. After 60 rounds of WWB brass stuff, I moved to gas setting 2 and it still functioned flawlessly with the brass stuff. Continued with the steel stuff and all was good until I got to tulammo. 2 stuck cases within 5 rounds. Moved to gas setting 3 and all was good again. I was only able to shoot out to 50 yards, but have to report that all rounds fired, (320 total) fell into 1 ragged 2 inch hole. I was concentrating on function this trip, not accuracy. Also all 5 magazines fed flawlessly.

Overall, I am very happy with the conversion, but I am not sure about the RA break, more shooting before I make a final decision on it.
    I still say Tula and Wolf are shit. I buy nothing but Golden Tiger and Brown Bear now to stockpile for X39.

What did you like/dislike about the RA brake? I'm contemplating a short, can-ready Spikes Tactical comp (mostly due to the short overall length since it'll be going on an SBR).

Just curious if I should be hoping to use the RA brake or try to change the order to an A2 birdcage for this caliber instead and buy the Spikes brake.

Thanks for any input.

Sean
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Thanks for the info. Especially the hammer spring part.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    I still say Tula and Wolf are shit. I buy nothing but Golden Tiger and Brown Bear now to stockpile for X39.

What did you like/dislike about the RA brake? I'm contemplating a short, can-ready Spikes Tactical comp (mostly due to the short overall length since it'll be going on an SBR).

Just curious if I should be hoping to use the RA brake or try to change the order to an A2 birdcage for this caliber instead and buy the Spikes brake.

Thanks for any input.

Sean
    Agreed, but I was able to get a case of wolf in the door for $205 last month during a free shipping special. Unfortunately they were out of bear and tiger brand. The Tulammo I had laying around.

RA brake seems to do ok with recoil, but the flash out of it is remarkable with the ammo I used. Its about 1 3/4 long and just under an inch in diameter, pretty beefy. Other brakes I have used on AR's seem to offer better flash surpression without sacrificing the recoil reduction.

My barrel came with it, but If I had a choice, I would probably go with the A2 hider and find something I like better later on. I do alot of my shooting on an indoor range and flash surpression is more important to me.

Actually had my eye on a Wilson Accu-tac or PWS Triad. I'm not going to put a can on the conversion, so a non-mount type muzzle device is fine for me. Don't know anything about Spike's brakes, didn't even know they made them. Shameful since they are only 1.5 hours away, (non-rush hour )
    "Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." - Pres. A. Lincoln

Here's the Spikes:

Description
    Spike's Tactical Dynacomp Extreme H.V.S. (.308)
    larger image
    Spike's Tactical Dynacomp Extreme H.V.S. (.308)
    $89.95

Introduction
    Dynacomp Extreme H.V.S.-.308 Muzzle Brake is Threaded for Spike's Tactical MRS/LRS Suppressors.

It can also be used for OPS Inc.suppressors, model 12.

Features

Machined from 17-7 PH Stainless Steel
    Melonite Finish
    22x1mm OD Thread Pitch
    5/8x24 ID Thread Pitch

Included

ST Dynacomp Extreme H.V.S.- .308
    5/8x24 Muzzle Device Alignment kit

Model: SBV1038

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/...308-p-740.html
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Wow, looks tiny!!

Hmmmmmmm, interesting........ thanks for the info. (time for research )

Was able to get another range session under my belt with the conversion yesterday. Shot 360 rounds, 260 of Wolf performance black box, (with wolf's head logo, made in Ukraine) and 100 rounds of Tulammo from Wally world.

Both type cycled flawlessly on gas setting 2. Accuracy out to 50 yards was 1.5 inches for the wolf and 2.5 inch for tulammo. I am using an EOTech XPS2 that is sighted in for 5.56. Without any adjustments, there was no windage deviation at all and it shot 3 inches low consistently. (easy to compensate for range use) The wolf actually had a very consistent feeling to it and almost no muzzle flash with the RA break. The tulammo was not, you could feel the difference in recoil from shot to shot. Also, it produced a bright white flash 75% of the time.

Overall I am very happy with the new conversion, all the ASC mags that I have worked flawlessly. It's nice having the option of a different caliber only 5 mins away with the turn of 2 screws. (barrel and brass deflector) My conversion kit is good to go!!

Most people do not bother changing the brass deflector if that is what you meant by 'case buffer'. Thanks for the update.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    Most people do not bother changing the brass deflector if that is what you meant by 'case buffer'. Thanks for the update.
    oppss, yea, ment brass deflector..thanks!! (and corrected )

Sponsors