SBR in 7.62x39mm Questions
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SBR in 7.62x39mm Questions

SBR in 7.62x39mm Questions

Amigos!

I'm sorry if these questions are covered elsewhere, I hope I'm in the right folder. I have a standard XCR in 7.62x39 with a 16" heavy barrel. I'm interested in going the SBR route, but I can only afford to do this once, so I could really use some expert advice. Questions are as follows:

1. Can anyone tell me how the XCR performs with an 11" or 12" barrel in 7.62x39? Reliability or accuracy problems? Does it beat up the gas system or the buffer/spring/op-rod?

2. I'd like to keep the level of durability the rifle has now without modifying or drilling-out the gas ports. On a short barrel, is this an issue? Overgassing or under-gassing?

3. I am guessing with a barrel that short the rifle becomes a flamethrower. Has anyone tried a flaming pig, 2-chamber AK-74 brake, or the 4-piece "Krink" brake? Evidently there are lots of choices but the Russian-made parts are rare, and 14/1 thread pitch. They all generate different gas pressures, not sure if that is helpful or hurtful on an XCR. Any ideas?

4. Does the barrel profile matter on an SBR? Light vs. heavy? Fluting or not?

Thanks in advance,

Re: SBR in 7.62x39mm Questions

I have a mini in 7.62x39, works great. Loud as hell.

You might not want the Bulgarian/flaming pig on there, it's heavy and you shouldn't need to extra back pressure. It's an adjustable gas system, it's not going to beat anything up unless you keep the gas turned up all the time (break-in excluded).

Check out Spikes or Battlecomp. You should be able to use any of the .308 brakes on there like so, http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/...308-p-927.html

That guy, he said I should be oblong and have my knees removed. But I don't trust him, he plays the banjo.

On a standard length upper (Non-mini).....Alex recommends NOTHING shorter than a 12" bbl in 7.62x39 to cycle properly with all ammo. The pressure curve is lower than 5.56 so he claims you need the extra bbl past the port to run reliably.

If you cut down to 12" you may only need the 12" gas dial.....however, you may also have to open the bbl and even the gas block ports. It's not rocket science and I've posted some port sizes in a thread somewhere here on the site.

If you go shorter than 12"....you most likely WILL have to open ports to get it to run on any ammo. Again....the thread about port sizes will be helpful.

Yes, a short bbl will throw flame and the only way to counter that is with something renowned for suppressing flash.....like a Smith Ent. Vortex, or Phantom, etc. That will not reduce recoil however. You're ideas of running a Pig, krink or Ak74 brake will NOT reduce flash....only recoil. What are you trying to accomplish?

You may find more options for brakes or flash suppressors by threading standard 5/8-24 rather than metric 14x1mm LH AK....just depends what type brake/FH you are looking for.

The recoil check (2 port) from Armlite in 5/8-24 is quite effective for $30.

Bbl profile is totally up to you. Personally, I'd flute one if you're going to go to all the trouble and expense of turning one down....otherwise, if it were an option ......I'd get a light profile for that application.

:2cents:
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Thanks guys!

Do more XCR guys buy a barrel and get it turned down or just buy it short? Is there a gunsmith who cuts/flutes/crowns that anyone will recommend? The class 3 paperwork will take a looooong time so I can research smiths but I'd like to hear if anyone knows who does good work...

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-6 View Post
    Thanks guys!

Do more XCR guys buy a barrel and get it turned down or just buy it short? Is there a gunsmith who cuts/flutes/crowns that anyone will recommend? The class 3 paperwork will take a looooong time so I can research smiths but I'd like to hear if anyone knows who does good work...
    Steve at ADCO....but if you flute, specify you want the flute or rib to start at 12 o'clock.

Most everyone turns it down....getting factory short bbls from RA is not easy. But...if you go that route you may need to order or drill out your gas dial and you may be porting up sizes in the bbl.

I don't think we had a definitive answer if a 16"-18" 7.62 barrel can be fluted. Also from what I gathered from questions I posed to Kermit about the factory 12" 7.62 barrels is that they are as 'thin' as they can be already.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    I don't think we had a definitive answer if a 16"-18" 7.62 barrel can be fluted. Also from what I gathered from questions I posed to Kermit about the factory 12" 7.62 barrels is that they are as 'thin' as they can be already.
    This is true....the HBar obviously has a good sized 7.62 hole in it....might not be enough meat to really flute.

Sean

Can someone tell me how to get ahold of Kermit? My guess is the wait for a 12" 7.62 barrel might be biblical.

His full contact info is somewhere on the forum. Can't find it right now because of the "DB" errors. His forum user name is Gramps96kz. Send him a PM.

ETA: his email is in the 1st post of this thread;

https://xcrforum.com/index.php/topic,13535.0.html

You could also PM another forum user, Navalbeaver, he might be able to help as well.
    "Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." - Pres. A. Lincoln

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsors