7.62x39 Mag tips and tricks - Page 2
Like Tree2Likes
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 7.62x39 Mag tips and tricks

Simply not enough market demand. The AR platforms that shoot X39 run a weak bolt (b/c so much of the face is removed to fit the cartridge)....so really the only other stanag magwell that I'm aware of is the XCR.....and they are a purple squirrel in the firearms world. RA should just make a different lower that accepts AK mags if they want this caliber to survive in the XCR platform.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Simply not enough market demand. The AR platforms that shoot X39 run a weak bolt (b/c so much of the face is removed to fit the cartridge)....so really the only other stanag magwell that I'm aware of is the XCR.....and they are a purple squirrel in the firearms world. RA should just make a different lower that accepts AK mags if they want this caliber to survive in the XCR platform.
    mjorin
    Here is a 7.62x39 mag trick. Why don't we all give magpul a call tomorrow and beg them to make a super reliable 20 and 30 round mag. If we all call, that would be like 30 or 40 phone calls--how can they resist! Just being a little sarcastic, but really everyone start hounding them and you never know.

Magpul Contact Info:
    Ph# 877-462-4785
    E-mail: [email protected] I heard Magpul is starting to make AK mags so you're both right! Magpul | Unfair Advantage

Quote Originally Posted by mjorin View Post
    Here is a 7.62x39 mag trick. Why don't we all give magpul a call tomorrow and beg them to make a super reliable 20 and 30 round mag. If we all call, that would be like 30 or 40 phone calls--how can they resist! Just being a little sarcastic, but really everyone start hounding them and you never know.

Magpul Contact Info:
    Ph# 877-462-4785
    E-mail: [email protected]

Turns out its just impossible with the current polymer technology. The body of the mag would be too thick to hold rounds. If it was thin enough to hold rounds then it would be too thin and fragile.

You can check yourself. There really is no room for the 7.62x39 mags to be polymer. They could do the front and rear walls of the magazine though. The sides on the other hand are the issue.

Source: Magpul....
    Last edited by arcwolf6; 11-15-2013 at 08:25 PM.
    Arcwolf6

Ryan B.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Well, tried out the 5.56 followers from magpull, and they didn't work, but at this point it was worth the try! I am going to try and modify the magazine a little bit, start with filing down the top front lip of the magazine so that there isn't such a profile on the mag lip, hopefully prevent the casing from catching the lip!, next I will polish the inside of the front of the mag with aluminum polish and then wipe down the inside of the mag with cilicone lube. Only thing left will be a mag spring upgrade after all the magazine mods are finished, possibly new followers as well! I will let everyone know how this goes after the first mag is done. good luck to the rest of you

7.62x39 Mag tips and tricks-unnamed.jpg Same thing happened to me on my ASC mags, just a small profile where the metal overlaps! cases always get hung up! so I am going the file it down on an angle sloping down into the magazine!

look at the second post of this thread I have a link.
    When Mad Max comes... I'll be waiting !!!

Hey SS have you tried any of the 154 gr SP ammo in your mags? I just picked up some at cabelas and am hoping they cycle.

No ,all I've tried are I think 123gr. HP's and FMJ's.
    When Mad Max comes... I'll be waiting !!!

Hey guys just thought I would share my experiences...

First of all, the best mag I have bought is the AR-Stoner brand. While it seems of higher quality than the ASC, they still didn't operate 100%. From what I have gathered, all mag bodies and followers are built by the same machines, regardless of manufacturer. This means that all brands share the same inherent issues. However, different brands may use a different spring, which leads me to my next point.

By far, the best thing you can do to get these mags to run is put in an extra power Wolff AK mag spring. Once I put these springs into my mags, the nose-diving or bottom-diving stopped. The pressure provided by the new springs seems more constant throughout the capacity of the mag, while the stock springs worked well from 5-30 rounds (had FTF on the last 5 rounds). That being said, there are a few other things you can try out before dropping more money on these sh*tshows.

1. Make sure the mag body is "wide" enough so that the follower and rounds can move up and down the mag without binding. To fix this, you can try what I did and manually squeeze from the front side of the mag to the back. This will kinda "squish" the body, making it a little wider. Others have used a hammer to the back side of the mag to accomplish the same thing, I just don't like the idea of popping welds.

2. Grind a 45 degree angle on the feed lip of the magazine... But don't grind down the lip too much!!! I made that mistake and ruined a mag body by grinding it down too much... That lip helps aim the nose of the round up into the chamber, so if you cut too much off, the round will hit the barrel extension (not the M4 feed ramps) and stop.

3. Smooth out the front and back surface that the spring and follower contact inside the mag body. These surfaces inside the magazine are quite rough for two reasons... First, they stamp the metal around a curve, so the metal kind of "folds" on these surfaces. They are further roughened up by the spot welds that hold the body together. These rough surfaces can and will impede the follower and spring from moving freely.

4. Clean up the follower by removing mold seams and so on. I have also heard of people gluing a small strip of nylon on the front or back of the follower to provide a more frictionless surface.

5. *EXERCISE CAUTION DOING THE FOLLOWING* Grind down some of the rough surfaces inside the mag. I have had limited success doing this. I got this idea from a utube video I saw. The mags have little "bumps" stamped into the lips that hold the rounds in the mags. The idea of removing these or smoothing them down is to get the round to slide out of the mag easier. However, they do help keep the rounds in the right position, so removing too much material here could cause issues. The other area I would recommend smoothing out is the surface on the back of the magazine where the back of the round slides up to the lips... Again, due to stamping, this surface can be a little rough and were causing the back of the round to get caught up.

6. You can try bending the lips that hold the rounds in to get the round to a better angle or position. However, I have not had much success with this.

7. If all of the tips and tricks above don't work, break down and buy the new mag springs I mentioned above.

8. ******LAST RESORT --- DON'T TRY THIS UNLESS EVERYTHING ELSE HAS FAILED****** If the nose of the rounds are still hitting the barrel extension (not the other issue where the nose leaps above the chamber) you might try widening the feed ramps on the barrel extension. This will hopefully guide the round into the chamber properly. If you are having a lot of rounds hit the extension, pull the barrel out and look at the extension. You will see noticeable build up of copper where the rounds are hitting. Grind this area into the feed ramps, but try to keep the angle and smoothness the same. Like I said, this is the last thing to try on my list... You should do everything you can to the mag first before trying to modify the rifle.

That is the most information I can think of regarding these magazines... Try some of the easier mods before buying a spring and buy a spring before modding the feed ramps.

It's been my limited experience that a new spring will likely be the trick to getting your mags running smooth and reliable.

The new mag bodies at CProducts actually clip together before being welded. I think this should be an improvement over the old style and help insure proper tolerances within the mag.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsors