7.62x39 Mag tips and tricks - Page 3
Like Tree2Likes
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 7.62x39 Mag tips and tricks

I contacted magpul and the nice young lady on the other end of the line, didn't know squat and didn't know how she could pass my wishes up the chain of command. She suggested I e-mail my request to [email protected] . So I did.

Quote Originally Posted by mjorin View Post
    I contacted magpul and the nice young lady on the other end of the line, didn't know squat and didn't know how she could pass my wishes up the chain of command. She suggested I e-mail my request to [email protected] . So I did.
    As Arcwolf already stated, Magpul cannot manufacture a 7.62x39mm magazine due to how much wider a 7.62 round is. The mag body walls need to be thinner to accommodate the wider round and the plastics Magpul uses can't be thin enough without loosing durability. Thus, we are limited to magazines that use stainless steel or aluminum for the mag body, unless Magpul finds a plastic that can be thin and strong enough to make a reliable product.

This same issue is why they don't create a 6.8 Pmag.. Again, the 6.8 round is wider, needing more space to stack properly. Magpul is starting to sell a 6.8 magazine, but it will only work in guns that have wider mag wells. It will not work in a stanag mag well.

Quote Originally Posted by mjorin View Post
    The new mag bodies at CProducts actually clip together before being welded. I think this should be an improvement over the old style and help insure proper tolerances within the mag.
    I think this may help with the bodies being too tight, but I still think there will be rough surfaces due to the way the body halves are stamped. I don't think a clipped and robotically welded mag body is going to fix the issues with the lame springs they come with and so on. However, I did notice that if you order direct from C-Products, they ship you mags that already have the Wolff Extra Power AK mag spring. They are approximately $5 more than what you find on Midway, but if you end up having to buy $10 springs on the cheaper ones, you'll actually save $5 a mag going with C-Products.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

I will still encourage magpul to try to come up with a solution. Nobody can put a man on the moon--it would be ludicrous to try.

More power to you....but from a business standpoint, I doubt there's enough market demand. I think a far more plausible solution is RA making a lower compatible with AK mags (since there are versions that have the BHO provision). The problem is RA isn't interested and isn't likely to become so.

Did Bushmaster ever talk about evolving the concept of the ACR to make the AK lower as Magpul originally designed?
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

And that's the main reason I'm not interested in changing my XCR to 7.62 Soviet.
    Honestly, I don't have the patience to work on mags like you guys are. But if Alex made a lower designed to use AK47 mags, I'd be in.
    Even if it didn't have BHO capabilities.
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
    And that's the main reason I'm not interested in changing my XCR to 7.62 Soviet.
    Honestly, I don't have the patience to work on mags like you guys are. But if Alex made a lower designed to use AK47 mags, I'd be in.
    Even if it didn't have BHO capabilities.

Agreed. I feel sort of suckered in and got extremely lucky getting ASC mags that work. The problem is, eventually they wear out and right now, there's no good replacements. So....essentially, I could count on the mags I have for now, but long term....it becomes a range toy if the mag reliability situation isn't addressed and rectified. Like I said though, the market is small. AR bolts don't like the x39 round and there aren't many XCRs chambered in it, so a x39 stanag mag isn't really a high priority mag for most makers.

For now, I'll count on my VZs and AKs to handle x39 duty.....the X39 round is excellent out of a SBR....a LOT of punch for the price of the ammo, but until something is done to address the mag issue in the XCR/AR/ACR platforms.....to me, it doesn't constitute a go to gun for SHTF. IF 300 BLKOUT becomes really popular, there may be no point in pursuing stanag x39 mags since ballistically, the X39 and 300 BLKOUT are similar (allegedly).
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Yup!
    And how's this for fun along those lines......
    I've decided that having an AK in 5.56 is kind of redundant, so I'm going to put up a bunch of Weiger (East German military) 5.56 mags up for sale.
    I figure that the military mags are desirable enough, and they're rare enough in new condition, that I ought to be able to get another -M for what I'll (hopefully) get from those mags.
    There ought to be enough Saiga owners out there that want 30 round dependable mags, to buy what I've got.

Unless Alex puts out the 300BLK before then - in which case I'll convert that dough into XCR-L parts.
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

Smart move....the 5.56 AK mags are kinda like the x39 mags for the XCR (though the AK mags run), LOL.

***UPDATE***

I got my new C-Products magazines in from Midway ($18 a piece) and have had some time to look them over and test them out a little. First and foremost, the C-Products mags that Midway is offering right now are the 'new' magazines, with a newly designed follower, an extra power AK mag spring, and a better paint finish. It is also obvious that these mags were 'clipped' together before being robotically welded (as discussed earlier in the thread). My initial response to handling these mags is that they felt of higher quality and the follower didn't tilt as much as the old ASC follower.

I loaded them up and test feed them manually. Both ran flawless during this test. I only had a bit of light so I grabbed the one that felt the best, loaded it up and stalked into the woods to unload it. It WORKED!!! There were no feeding issues during the test firing, but keep in mind I didn't have enough time to thoroughly test them. However, experiencing the ASC, AR-Stoner, and old C-Products magazines, this mag is by far the best. I hope to get out this weekend and do some more testing. I was running on gas setting 2 and using cheap Tula rounds. It was also very cold outside. This was the first time I truly got to experience my XCR with the 7.62 kit (previously it was shoot a few rounds and then un-jam the mag), and I friggin lovvvvved it. It shot great, cycled wonderfully and deposited the spent casings in a nice little pile.

That being said, the mags were not "perfect". One of them was a little bent where the mag retention hole was. It took a minute with some pliers to fix it. The other one had a bottom tab that was a little twisted. Again, some pliers and man handling, it was fixed in less than 2 minutes. The last and only real gripe I have is that the floor plates were cut too long (which is better than being cut too short) and had to be filed down a bit to fit properly. All in all, I spent about 10 minutes getting these bad boys in tip top shape.

I will try to provide some comparison pics and will also update my little review once I put some more rounds through them. If these work and are reliable, I will be very happy and will have no issues using my XCR with the 7.62 kit. While the mags have always been a point of contention, it is my belief that the 7.62 rounds cycle more reliably because of their extreme taper. If we can take the mag issue out of the equation, we will have a real winner!
    mjorin likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsors