Muzzle Brake Locking methods

Thread: Muzzle Brake Locking methods

Muzzle Brake Locking methods

My muzzle brake on my 762x39 conversion has a very small amount of motion, a couple of thous. I would say, when you apply some rotational force CW or CCW. There is a dab of 'tig' weld over what may be a set screw? near the base of the brake. Is the weld something to do with USA restrictions with muzzle devices? My question is, how are these muzzle brakes installed at the factory? Threaded obviously but what about this dab of weld locking method? I have no big plans to remove it or worry about a teeny bit of motion, all things are good.

Sounds like it was pinned for some reason. Are you in Canada, is the barrel is shorter than legal in your location?

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

Kanada alright but muzzle devices do not count for barrel length up here from what i have heard, the rifled portion must be at least 18.5 inches or so and mine is over 19 without the brake. We can remove our muzzle devices if you are so inclined with impunity. Weird laws on both sides of the 49th .... that is for sure. Another 20 rounds down the pipe this afternoon, I sure like this XCR, finally had a hiccup, i didn't latch the mag properly....my bad.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Most of our Northern owners seem to have the muzzle devices pinned, based on them asking the same question like you on how to remove. We don't know why, if like you stated it is not required in Canada.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

EZ to remove, found an article on web and all i had to do was grind off the tig weld puddle over top of the locking pin, did not have to grind too deep. You could just see the hairline circumference of the locking pin. A squirt of Kroil oil ( cant say enough good about this product) with a slight cw and ccw torque on muzzle brake...for a few minutes and the pin started to rise up where i could grab it with some needle beak Vise-Grips. Once the pin was out the muzzle brake came off normally.

It is a part of the barrel measurment up here in canada as long as it id permanantly ieinned and welded saying that i never measured the barrel to see what oal lenght is you can take a 4" phrohib barrel and get a smith to perm attach a muzzle brake and get it reclassified restricted

Sponsors