what comes with conversion
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: what comes with conversion

  1. #1
    Newbie WRECKEDCARS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Springfield,Il
    Posts
    9

    what comes with conversion

    My first post here- I'm looking at purchasing a used XCR in 5.56 with old style gas block.
    My question is does the conversion kit for 7.62 come with the new stylegas block and is this compatible with the older xcr. Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question .
    Thanks in advance,
    Todd

  2. #2
    XCR Guru ny32182's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,031

    Re: what comes with conversion

    I have not bought a caliber kit yet, but I believe they will come with a gas block on the barrel. I would presume at this point all the barrels are shipping with the new gas block. If you have a first gen rifle, you will need to change the piston head to work with the new gas block. Rather than swap the piston head each time you change calibers (and thus gas blocks), I would order an extra new gas block to change out the one on your older barrel.

    So, I believe what you want is:

    -caliber conversion kit (barrel w/new style gas block, bolt, ejection port buffer, hammer spring if applicable)
    -new style piston head
    -a second new style gas block for your old barrel.

    That is my understanding... hopefully someone will be along shortly to confirm.

  3. #3
    XCR Guru TerraShrewsbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,177

    Re: what comes with conversion

    You get a fully assembled barrel with the new gas system, a bolt, a brass deflector, and a magazine. The 7.62 kits also come with the heavier hammer spring.
    Resident Forum Slut

  4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Marksman Carl AMG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    275

    Re: what comes with conversion

    I think I understand your question.

    If you want to use a conversion kit (that comes with the new style gas block), you would need to buy a new style gas block/piston for your 5.56. You need to use the new style piston for your conversion kit and a new piston is not part of the conversion kit. You'd also be better off with a new style gas block for each caliber rather than trying to switch the gas block everytime you switch calibers even if you could just change the piston on your op rod.

    I converted to the new style gas block and piston. It's easy (with a good vise) and there is a video of the process on this site or on YouTube if you search

    Terra - Correct me if I'm wrong on this one

  6. #5
    Expert thadbme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,113

    Re: what comes with conversion

    Quote Originally Posted by TerraShrewsbury View Post
    You get a fully assembled barrel with the new gas system, a bolt, a brass deflector, and a magazine. The 7.62 kits also come with the heavier hammer spring.
    Ok so I got the gun together and it seems I don't have a vice for the piston. Is this something thats going to affect me if i don't? The piston I have is a stainless looking deal. The one that came with the kit seems like its much heavier so probably easier to deal with and clean as well, just curious.

  7. #6
    XCR Guru TerraShrewsbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,177

    Re: what comes with conversion

    6.8 mags are 25 rd, 5.56 are 30 rd, 7.62x39 are 30 rd, 6.5 mags are going to be 25 rd. Those living in CA and other more restricted states get 10 rd magazines for all the calibers.

    I have no control over updating the website. That is entirely up to Alex, and he has been so busy keeping track of parts orders and the engineering products he hasn't been updating it as often.
    Resident Forum Slut

  8. #7
    XCR Guru TerraShrewsbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,177

    Re: what comes with conversion

    Quote Originally Posted by thadbme View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraShrewsbury View Post
    You get a fully assembled barrel with the new gas system, a bolt, a brass deflector, and a magazine. The 7.62 kits also come with the heavier hammer spring.
    Ok so I got the gun together and it seems I don't have a vice for the piston. Is this something thats going to affect me if i don't? The piston I have is a stainless looking deal. The one that came with the kit seems like its much heavier so probably easier to deal with and clean as well, just curious.
    You have to use the new piston with the new style gas blocks. If you already have the new style block on your 5.56 barrel, you don't need to worry about it.
    Resident Forum Slut

  9. #8
    Expert SINKER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,093

    Re: what comes with conversion


    ALL OF THOSE PARTS ARE NEW AND SPECIFICALLY ENGINEERED FOR THE 7.62x39, from gas block to where ever. When you get it together, you WILL have a Weapons Grade, AMERICAN MADE, state of the art, 7.62X39 Carbine! There are no "sucker" parts like so many other weapons companies do business, the 7.62X39 and EVERY THING ELSE that Robinson Arms makes is straight up, in you face, READY!
    (well, on conversion kits, we have to allow for amature mistakes!....llol!"


    Quote Originally Posted by WRECKEDCARS View Post
    My first post here- I'm looking at purchasing a used XCR in 5.56 with old style gas block.
    My question is does the conversion kit for 7.62 come with the new stylegas block and is this compatible with the older xcr. Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question .
    Thanks in advance,
    Todd

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. XCR 7.62 Conversion Kit
    By Dixie Enormous in forum Sales Questions for RA
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-20-2018, 09:23 AM
  2. WTB 5.56 XCR Conversion Kit
    By Trip5896 in forum Trading Post
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-2013, 02:26 PM
  3. WTS: RA XCR-L 5.56 w/ 6.8 conversion (SC) *SPF*
    By bpnkrtn in forum Trading Post
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-15-2010, 01:01 PM
  4. New 6.8 conversion
    By wirebrush in forum Trading Post
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-24-2010, 05:57 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-07-2009, 09:08 AM