Sick of mag issues!! ASC blowes!!!!! - Page 4
Like Tree1Likes
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sick of mag issues!! ASC blowes!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Horse View Post
    I blame the manufacturers of the mags more then Alex. He can't control what gets shipped out by them. And he is to small to put pressure on them to tighten up. Other platforms have the same issues from what I've read. Am I misinformed?
    I don't believe that it is the gun, because if you tweak the mags they will eventually run fine.

I blame the manufacturers of the mags more then Alex. He can't control what gets shipped out by them. And he is to small to put pressure on them to tighten up. Other platforms have the same issues from what I've read. Am I misinformed?
    I disagree. The problem is the tapered case of a X39 round coupled with a straight wall required on a STANAG mag. It's a recipe for feeding problems. Yes, the mag mfgs are to blame but the problem is inherent to a straight mag well coupled with a heavily tapered case. A constant radius design (such as the VZ or AK mag) solves the issue...but isn't an option with the current size STANAG magwell.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Man View Post
    I don't believe that it is the gun, because if you tweak the mags they will eventually run fine.
    Mags are wear items though....while I have 20+ that run, I realize I got lucky and I also realize that spring tension will fade with time and mag geometry can be problematic after using them repeatedly.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Sean that answers a lot for me! I was just about to look up where the problem lies. So knowing this what is the solution? It seems like spring pressure will solve alot of my issues.

Tech, actually so far nobody can make these mags 100% bet your life in combat reliable on this forum.

Thanks Sean that answers a lot for me! I was just about to look up where the problem lies. So knowing this what is the solution? It seems like spring pressure will solve alot of my issues.

Tech, actually so far nobody can make these mags 100% bet your life in combat reliable on this forum.

Hate to say it, but... ditch the x39 conversion. Run a rifle that was designed for the cartridge from the start with AK mags (even the cheap Tapcos have proven to be reliable for me, perhaps not as durable as others... but they work). This is if that mystery new x39 Stanag mag doesn't pan out.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

Yeah I know I can go to 5.56, but I don't wanna. I'm Gona order springs and go from there

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    Hate to say it, but... ditch the x39 conversion. Run a rifle that was designed for the cartridge from the start with AK mags (even the cheap Tapcos have proven to be reliable for me, perhaps not as durable as others... but they work). This is if that mystery new x39 Stanag mag doesn't pan out.
    Running the 7.6239 in a Stanag mag is like running a 1911. You have to tweak them from time to time. Where the X39 shines is in those 8" barrel configurations. A 5.56 in the same arrangement is pretty lackluster.

Yeah I know I can go to 5.56, but I don't wanna. I'm Gona order springs and go from there
    Someone had once suggested that Hornady made a case lube for reloading, that doesn't attract particulate matter. It was reported that you could wipe down the insides of you mags and it would help them feed more efficiently. Never tried it, but...

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    ^This is the real solution. X39 is never going to be "battle" reliable out of a STANAG magwell, IMO. Hence the reason why a dedicated AK mag lower from RA would be a good choice....but it'll never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyid1 View Post
    Okay hoag what are these mags your talking about. Don't hold out on us.
    OK, Tommy (et al), here we go ...

Name:  PCV50.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  3.3 KB
    I got my hands on some Press Check Ventures PCV-50 (Gen2) magazines today. These mags are probably better news for Canadian XCR-L users than for those in the US because of our convoluted laws. They are 5 round .50 Beowulf mags designed specifically to fit into an AR platform/magwell. Because they are designed for .50 Beowulf, there are 2 significant benefits:
    1. The cut-out is big enough to fit a .50 Beowulf through so .223/5.56, 6.8SPC and 7.62x39 will all fit without any risk of catching or hanging up as the round feeds.
    2. Although they are 5 round magazines,and clearly marked as such, that is 5 rounds of .50 Beowulf. They can fit 12-15 rounds of .223/5.56 and slightly fewer 6.8SPC or 7.62x39. This is really a benefit to the Canadians because of Para 4 to RCMP Special Bulletin 72 Maximum Permitted Magazine Capacity - Royal Canadian Mounted Police. These mags will allow Canadian users to legally* (as of today) load 12+ rounds into their XCR-L.
    (*Note: I'm not a lawyer. I don't play one on TV, and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so do not take that as legal advice.
    The RCMP have demonstrated that they can and will change the rules as they see fit.)

Here is a quick video of one at a range:

And one of it being used in a TAVOR:

I have not had mine to the range yet, so I can not speak from first hand knowledge, but it seems that PCV has hit a balance between reliability and capacity.

Oh, and BTW, because of the issues with magazine capacity in Canada, these go FAST, so if you are considering getting one (some) don't wait too long, or you might be outa luck.

Hope this helps.
    "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few." ~ Sir Winston Churchill after the Battle of Britain.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Sponsors