Sick of mag issues!! ASC blowes!!!!! - Page 5
Like Tree1Likes
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Sick of mag issues!! ASC blowes!!!!!

This is what all the fuss and secrecy is about? This doesn't help those looking for reliable standard capacity mags at all! It's the curvature required of standard capacity magazines that is causing the feed problem. As ASC's 10 rounders tend to work fine, this isn't really a game changer at +2 (if that).
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

So anyone up on the ACR and the original plans to offer a 7.62x39 lower that took AK mags? With Magpul making X39 mags now, I wonder if they don't have plans that Bushmaster/Remington may not be too keen on pursuing....but it would sure be nice. Has BM come up with any SBR models for the ACR, or can you even buy shorter bbls? ***EDIT*** BM's website says 10.5" and 14.5" bbls are available...though I'm not sure about ordering or availability and a search of their site shows nothing in terms of ACR bbls.****

Also, anyone know if SIG is planning a 556R pistol? Either would be a good option for someone wanting cheap X39 punch out of an SBR package. Unfortunately, the XCR just doesn't have the reliability due to the mag issue. Only way I see to fix that....is to go to a lower that takes a known reliable mag and the AK mags make the most sense.
    Last edited by Sean K.; 05-09-2014 at 01:47 PM.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

I know that the vz mags are far less common than ak, but they have the BHO feature
    hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and make hay while the sun shines!

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    This is what all the fuss and secrecy is about?
    There was never any attempt at secrecy. If you read my post 12, you'll see that I was reluctant to recommend something that I hadn't seen first-hand if they would work in an XCR.
    "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few." ~ Sir Winston Churchill after the Battle of Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpenter View Post
    I know that the vz mags are far less common than ak, but they have the BHO feature
    I think Yugo or Hungarian AK mags do as well.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Also, anyone know if SIG is planning a 556R pistol? Either would be a good option for someone wanting cheap X39 punch out of an SBR package. Unfortunately, the XCR just doesn't have the reliability due to the mag issue. Only way I see to fix that....is to go to a lower that takes a known reliable mag and the AK mags make the most sense.
    No clue... but if they are offering the 556 and M400 or 716 in pistol form, seems like they could easily do the same for the 556R. However, I imagine they're busy pushing the 556xi and other new products to market, they probably don't have any plans for the 556R pistol. Would be a great seller for them though, judging by the number of people buying the PAP pistols with Sig's SB15 brace.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoag View Post
    There was never any attempt at secrecy. If you read my post 12, you'll see that I was reluctant to recommend something that I hadn't seen first-hand if they would work in an XCR.
    OK, so secrecy was the wrong word... but, there is a misunderstanding of the issue discussed by the OP—poor reliability is caused by the extreme mag curvature required to adapt the x39 cartridge for use in Stanag magwells. Reduced capacity applications was never much of an issue, except for the few examples that were poorly manufactured.

Load those POS ASCs to only 10 arounds and they would probably run just fine.
    Last edited by fmunk; 05-09-2014 at 03:47 PM.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    Hate to say it, but... ditch the x39 conversion. Run a rifle that was designed for the cartridge from the start with AK mags (even the cheap Tapcos have proven to be reliable for me, perhaps not as durable as others... but they work). This is if that mystery new x39 Stanag mag doesn't pan out.
    Or just have both and play with the 7.62 for fun and know you are going to have a few failures but cheaper ammo. I have 8 mags I think and after tinkering with all of them (Wolff springs included) most of the run 95-97%. I can not load them over 25 rounds and count on a complete mag without a failure. I load them usually at 20 and will go through a mag or two before I get a FTF. Generally the follower is stuck in the mag somewhere and I have to tap it to get it to spring up. I have sanded and polished the insides of the mags as best I can but the fact is they are spot welded together and the metal is not 100% smooth. I contend if someone would make a Polymer mage it would be much better due to the fact that the inside could be 100% smooth due to not needing to be stamped or welded. Even if this required single stack, it would be better (in theory).
    Riding, Shooting, or Golfing...you pick and I will be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    I think Yugo or Hungarian AK mags do as well.
    It is my understanding that some AK followers hold the bolt open, vs actuating a BHO as we know it on firearms that are intended to have that feature. I don't think the bolt will stay back when the mag is released, unless there is an real BHO.
    You will know as I remember you have experience with VZs, but they have a portion of the follower that actuates a BHO device, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Carpenter View Post
    It is my understanding that some AK followers hold the bolt open, vs actuating a BHO as we know it on firearms that are intended to have that feature. I don't think the bolt will stay back when the mag is released, unless there is an real BHO.
    You will know as I remember you have experience with VZs, but they have a portion of the follower that actuates a BHO device, correct?
    That's correct. The AKs followers just hold the bolt open on an empty mag...it doesn't really actuate a BHO. To me, that's really a non-issue (or more accurately, a training issue). I just need to know the gun has run dry....and a mag follower that holds the bolt open is fine. I generally train to rack the bolt on an AK or even my XCR, rather than dropping it using the index finger (though it's nice to have the option) just b/c there's a bit more inertia when charging it that way over the more static BHO release.

VZs have an actual BHO mechanism.

that is a good point.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Sponsors