First time out with Keymod, I'm impressed!!!!
Like Tree2Likes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time out with Keymod, I'm impressed!!!!

First time out with Keymod, I'm impressed!!!!

I have shot Sks's and Cz 858's before so I am familiar with the caliber but man, this gun is fun to shoot!

I started off with the gas setting on 4 as per the manual and fired 70 rds. of Hornady factory ammunition. I then switched to corrosive surplus for the remainder of the day with the gas setting on 3. In total I think I fired around 400 rds.

Here is the empty ammo boxes, that's a lot of fun right there.

First time out with Keymod, I'm impressed!!!!-xcr-range-day.jpg

The targets were two AR500 steel gongs and an old cookie sheet. The sights were pretty much dead on. Some bench rest shooting will come later. I have not decided on an optic yet.

After that, a hot bath for the barrel in some boiling water and a good wipe down with some Ballistol.

Here is the rifle after a good cleaning.
    First time out with Keymod, I'm impressed!!!!-xcr-cleaned.jpgFirst time out with Keymod, I'm impressed!!!!-xcr-cleaned-again.jpg

I removed the barrel to clean the rifle because I think it is the easiest and most thorough way of getting rid of the corrosive salts.

Over all I am very happy with the rifle. As you can see in the video there were several malfunctions but I put those on the RA 10rd pistol mags. They were all purchased here in Canada from a RA distributor. Any time I loaded over 8 rds. I could see the follower tilting.
    fivesidedpolygon and SLCXCR like this.

Sig
    Nice to hear.

Did the owners manual change per the first 500 rounds to break in the gun being brass?
    If assholes could fly, this place would be JFK international.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    Nice to hear.

Did the owners manual change per the first 500 rounds to break in the gun being brass?
    Owners manual must have changed some time ago. Mine, gen just before keymod, states a BI of 40rds.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Sig
    I looked at the one (manual) I stored via PDF and I stand corrected, states 200.
    If assholes could fly, this place would be JFK international.

glad to see you here too man! (fellow CGN'er)

Here is another update on the XCR.

I took it to my club today and played on the 50yrd range.
    I fired 180 rds of corrosive surplus.

I was trying to sight it in with the stock iron sights. I noticed that the barrel bolt became loose after about 75 rounds. I managed to tighten it and continued. I had a lot fewer magazine failures this time. In fact they seemed to be focused on one or two magazines in specific. The rifle itself was flawless. I lowered the gas setting to 1 and have had no issues with cycling or ejection patterns.

One curious issue. When I was initially sighting in the rifle it was shooting high. I raised the front sight and eventually got it where I wanted it. I then tightened the barrel bolt. After this it was shooting to the right. I had to adjust the rear sight about 10 clicks to get it to shoot center. I do not have a torque wrench that reads in inch pounds so I will have to buy one this weekend. Any suggestions?

I am getting pretty good at tearing the rifle down and cleaning it with boiling water. It took me about 20 minutes tonight. Not bad for being able to shoot cheap surplus out of a non restricted rifle using 10 rd magazines.

I am thinking of putting an optic on the rifle, perhaps a 1-4 power scope with an illuminated reticle. Any suggestions?

As far as torque wrenches go, for our use it doesn't really matter the brand as long as it is from a decent chain store.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

Right. But I prefer snap-head type torque wrenches. I run a 3/8" drive.
    For the bit, NPT builds one that accepts the 3/8" drive, is actually for use on an impact wrench, and is reasonbly priced.
    I've gone through multiples of Snap-On, MEC, and Craftsman - the NPT is the cat's meow in my opinion.
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

BFR
    Quote Originally Posted by mississaugagunnut View Post
    I am thinking of putting an optic on the rifle, perhaps a 1-4 power scope with an illuminated reticle. Any suggestions?
    What's your price range? Trijicon's Accupoint 1-4x24 is a fantastic optic with a fiber optic illuminated reticle, but you're looking at a $1,200 to $1,400 price tag depending on retailer here in Canada.

And the Trijicon AccuPoint in that magnification range doesn't allow you to take full advantage of the platform capabilities.

I was all geared up to go exactly that route, until I got to play with that optic at SHOT. It was taken off my short list right then and there.

It's a great scope if you want essentially a red dot with magnification.
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors