New 7.62x39 Kit
Like Tree4Likes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 7.62x39 Kit

New 7.62x39 Kit

So less than a month ago I got a 7.62x39 kit from Kermit. As many of you know, Kermit is awesome to work with. Anyway I get the kit in (like Christmas) I can't wait to install it and then take my XCR to the range.

As I was installing the brass defelector, I couldn't get it to seat correctly. I took my XCR to a local gunsmith. When we broke down the upper receiver we discovered that a SS spring was working its way out from where you would install the screw to seat the brass deflected. I was advised to call the manufacture.

So I thought to myself... Self we have to engage RobArm... (Sigh).... Since Terra and Alle had left I've been really trepadatious about working w/RA CS.... You talk to SeanK and it seems I'd rather have a root canal.

Anyway, I call RA and per the instructions from their vmail message... Leave my name and phone number and we will contact you. So I thought great I will leave a vmail and wait 6-10 weeks for a call back.

I live in TX so I'm an hour ahead. I left a msg about 0911CST... At 0942CST Eric from RA called me back. We had a 10 min call about the issue. He said I would have to send it back to RA.... He then transferred me to Holly to work on the RMA procedures. I gave Holly my email and contact info. Before the call was over I had an email w/all of the RMA info. (I figured that this would take forever and in 3 months I would see my upper again.)

Sent the upper via UPS 2day delivery. Within hours of the delivery Eric was on the phone again telling me it was the heliocoil. They will replace it and test fire. I sent the 7.62 kit/barrel. For them to test fire.

The next day Holly emails me and let's me know that during the test fire the heliocoil worked itself out.. RA will be replacing the upper. Holly was great about keeping me in the loop and status. I probably would have had my upper back sooner but mine is FDE so the had to paint one up for me.

I read on The Truth About Guns ran another review about the -M. RA was good about replacing and timeliness on repairs. The 1st review was experiencing malfunctions.

From what I've experienced and read it appears RA (Alex) has corrected the CS issues that has plagued this small manufacture for so long. I have 2 -L's in my inventory and one is my primary GOTH platform.

The x39 I'm setting up for hawg hunting. My 5.56 is the primary.

Just some friendly input:

1. We have all heard its better to use honey then vinigar when it comes to catching flies. I understand frustration when your $2k rifle isn't working, I understand how upsetting that is. Don't call when your angry. Let the frustration abate a bit before calling.

2. Follow the instructions for the RMA. That will make it easier for Holly to contact you.

3. Always be polite...

Now I need to find 7.62x39 brass ammo for break in. If you guys have any recommendations I would greatly appreciate it.

Dredd
    Merlin, Vepr and mjorin like this.
    'Courage is not the absences of fear, its the taking of action in the presences of fear."

This is great to hear. Hopefully the trend continues

Good to hear you got some great customer service from RA.

why brass ammo for break in?

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

I want some brass for the break in. Also when I go hunting for hawgs I was planning on using brass hollow point for effective shooting.
    'Courage is not the absences of fear, its the taking of action in the presences of fear."

Quote Originally Posted by Dredd View Post
    I want some brass for the break in. Also when I go hunting for hawgs I was planning on using brass hollow point for effective shooting.
    Hello Dredd......use the wolf steel case HP....it will work until you can score some reloadable brass.....also be aware-check the brass ammo case you do use for possible deforming after extraction from the brass deflector (Check with AIM SURPLUS....Erik......PPU brand for brass)

Fantastic!! Remind me again what in the heck is the heliocoil?

A Helicoil is a thread insert to repair or put steal threads in aluminum.
    When Mad Max comes... I'll be waiting !!!

I'm glad to hear RA is running more smoothly.

I have to admit, I'm a little confused. Maybe I'm wrong, but as far as I know the only helicoil insert is for the barrel retaining screw. What did that have to do with seating the casing deflector? I'm impressed they would replace the upper for an issue with the deflector. I would think it's fairly simple to TIG in some metal, re-drill, re-tap, re-finish.

Why did you have to send them your barrel/kit to test fire? Being a fledgling smithy, I'm always interested in details of issues.

I'll second your "friendly input", but extend that to virtually all situations. Being a stickler for simplicity and efficiency, I've reduced SOP to my one rule system: Don't be a dick. All of my regrets, and embarrassing moments, were infractions of the rule. Forgiveness is divine, and generally not within human capability.
    "Don't Tread On Me!"
    -- (reiterated without permission) Rich Hornay

Helicoil also in the deflector screw hole. Not completely sure if that's changed since they were introduced

Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    Helicoil also in the deflector screw hole. Not completely sure if that's changed since they were introduced
    Ya, as Nate said....there's one in the deflector screw hole. I'm betting the hole was so wallowed out that a new helicoil couldn't be installed without putting in the next bigger size, so they replaced the whole upper....but as Mechanic said, I don't know why they didn't just weld it up and re-drill/tap/helicoil it instead. Of course, for expediency they could have shipped out a new one and fixed the old one, had it refinished, etc....good as new (unless it was the old design with rail lightening cuts).
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors