Sooooo I took out the DREMEL today...........................;) - Page 5
Like Tree31Likes
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Sooooo I took out the DREMEL today...........................;)

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    Which Dremel bit(s) did you use for the feed ramps and the modification on the mags?
    Barrel feed ramps on the left, the cloth rolls, this is what it looks like when done. Didn't want to take too much material off the ramps, just polished them smooth and shiny using White and Red rouge compounds.

Magazines on the right, about fingernail size detentes with a very slight ramp on the inside of the magazine and rounded edge so I don't cut my clumsy old self.

Sooooo I took out the DREMEL today...........................;)-dscn2164.jpg
    fmunk likes this.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

Performed the lip mod on the rest of the magazines I have - realize that I need more now.

Anyway, some of the mags I bought new were from Midway and they are re-branded as 'Stoner', the follower is stamped ASC. Noticed some differences in the magazines looking at the C-Products. I do not know what differentiates the generation changes made to the C-Products but the ASC 30 rounders have thicker springs than the CP. I bought a coupe of 10 round Stoners (ASC) and the spring in those wire size seems about the same as the CP. The Wolf springs are slightly thicker than the CP and are longer. Some of the CP wall thickness is thinner than the ASC and the other CPs.
    The followers on the CP were different in the wall to follower spacing, all the ASC had some play as well. But some of the CP ones might have a been done to try and prevent the hanging it up on the welds or front and rear. This might have also contributed to 'tilting' of the followers we used to have with the USGI 5.56 magazines.

So what does this all mean? I don't know for sure if it matters to change the spring in the new ASC magazines. Not even sure that the wall thickness matters unless the old CP magazines end up over time collapsing/deforming and create issues for the follower in a fully loaded magazine.

Just like everyone else here I really don't care, as long as the magazines function 100% when relatively new. With the 'lip mod' of course. Name:  shoot (8).gif
Views: 80
Size:  543 Bytes

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"

Merlin, have you run your modified XCR in 7.62x39? The one with the M4 cuts(Merlin4) cuts! Still Uber reliable?
    "Spes Mea in Deo Est"--My hope is in GOD
    The antidote for fifty enemies is one friend.--Aristotle

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mjorin View Post
    Merlin, have you run your modified XCR in 7.62x39? The one with the M4 cuts(Merlin4) cuts! Still Uber reliable?
    Yes, so far. Found that the spring channel may require some buffing as the spring will hang up sometimes on the imperfections. A 'lapping' tool (like is used on shotgun barrels back in the day) works really well.

I would prefer that AK mag lower though.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Sponsors