7.62 or 5.56
Like Tree3Likes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7.62 or 5.56

7.62 or 5.56

So I really want to get a 7.62 keymod XCR but reading about the mag issues is scaring me off. So would you buy yiur 7.62 again? Are the new ASC mags "fairly" reliable, as in malfunction only 1 in 10 mags? Had an XCR 5.56 I had to sell and wanting the 7.62. Thoughts?

V/r,

Hood
    If guns kill people then spoons made Oprah fat.

If you're in Canada and only running 10 rounders...the X39 is fine. If you're in the States....get the 5.56. If you roll your own ammo....and want X39 performance, get .300 BLK.
    Rockworx likes this.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Thx Sean,

Wanting a 7.62 for the cheap ammo mostly as I dont have time for reloading , just wondering what realistic expectations for 7.62 20rd & 30rd mags would be.

Hood

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rhood21 View Post
    Thx Sean,

Wanting a 7.62 for the cheap ammo mostly as I dont have time for reloading , just wondering what realistic expectations for 7.62 20rd & 30rd mags would be.

Hood
    Well, from what I've heard, if you run the 30 round mags with only 20 rounds...they work fine. My 30 rounders actually work (ASC), but I feel like I just got lucky.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

You have to switch springs or anything? What type mags and what gen mags?

You have to switch springs or anything? What type mags and what gen mags?
    No idea what gen. ASC brand.....bought back in 2012 IIRC....well before the Sandy Hook thing screwed up production. Factory springs.

Sp do they work fine like my old 5.56 would only have failure 1 in 200 rounds or what. Just wanting to know in general expected performance (if I have decent mags/rifle). Thx!

Sp do they work fine like my old 5.56 would only have failure 1 in 200 rounds or what. Just wanting to know in general expected performance (if I have decent mags/rifle). Thx!
    You were getting 1 in 200 failures with 5.56?!?!! To me, that wouldn't be acceptable at all. I've run over 1K of steel cased shit .223 Wolf black box through my XCRs with zero failures and no cleaning or lube.

If it doesn't run like that, IMO, there's something wrong with it.

I can't remember what the round count I got to with the X39 with no failures.....but I know I haven't had any with that rifle. I want to say it was like 800 rounds, but I honestly don't remember now.
    Bravo likes this.

The XCR-L is pretty sorted now. Should you run into problems, RA appears to have gotten better at getting things resolved. If it's cheap ammo you are after, 5.56 is about what they were pre-2012 elections levels. 1k rounds can be found under $400. There are a couple new STANAG x39 mags out there now promising better reliability. One was talked about here and another was shown during Shot. The names escape me at the moment but the one that was talked about here was tested by a member and had some compatibility issues with the XCR. Manufacturer is aware of it and was said to be working on a XCR specific variant. No news of it since then.

If I were you, I'd go for the 5.56 and stock up on ammo now; brass or steel cased. You can always get the 7.62x39 conversion later once new and improved magazines become available.

Lastly, do not buy directly from RA. Always buy from Kermit or Navalbeaver.
    BADDFROGG likes this.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

Thanks guys! How is Little Jack as a dealer? I was planning on buying through him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors