Unimag 7.62x39 & 6.5G Review - Page 2
Like Tree10Likes
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Unimag 7.62x39 & 6.5G Review

roflcopters....

Did you get any response from Ross Defense Systems?

I even started a credit card dispute with them....nada.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

JFYI....the mags are now on "clearance" at $19.99.

They say they are the Gen II on the site:

https://rossdefensesystems.com/products/unimag
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

I never got a response from their email submission form. Who knows.
    Sean K. likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by roflcopters View Post
    I never got a response from their email submission form. Who knows.
    Yeah...super weird business model. They take your money and ship super fast but ZERO customer service after or before the sale.

I've had a chance to put some more rounds through these mags, mostly with 6.5G.

They seem to be sensitive to timing. With commercial brass, I haven't had any stoppages. With Wolf 100gr, some of it is VERY under-loaded. Ex. if I use gas 2, which ejects brass about 15ft, with some of the Wolf it only ejects 5ft. These under-loaded rounds really slow the bolt down a lot and seem to cause a double feed with these. Even if I turn up the gas to 3-4 with the Wolf, which greatly increases recoil, I get some FTFs occasionally. I shot about 300rds in one session to test all the mags and had 4 FTF with Wolf.

With 7.62x39 and 5.56 I've had close to 0 failures, but that's only with ~200 rds.

I think they are close, and are definitely better than the banana mags (just for not slicing your hands up during handling/loading), but could still use some improvement.

The inventor is a Chinese mainland national right? Because of COVID he might be caught up in VISA problems. That might explain the lack of communication or tech support.

Price appears to be back to $19.99.
    Last edited by fmunk; 07-13-2020 at 04:55 PM.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

Quote Originally Posted by roflcopters View Post
    I've had a chance to put some more rounds through these mags, mostly with 6.5G.

They seem to be sensitive to timing. With commercial brass, I haven't had any stoppages. With Wolf 100gr, some of it is VERY under-loaded. Ex. if I use gas 2, which ejects brass about 15ft, with some of the Wolf it only ejects 5ft. These under-loaded rounds really slow the bolt down a lot and seem to cause a double feed with these. Even if I turn up the gas to 3-4 with the Wolf, which greatly increases recoil, I get some FTFs occasionally. I shot about 300rds in one session to test all the mags and had 4 FTF with Wolf.

With 7.62x39 and 5.56 I've had close to 0 failures, but that's only with ~200 rds.

I think they are close, and are definitely better than the banana mags (just for not slicing your hands up during handling/loading), but could still use some improvement.

Might be a bad lot of Wolf. Friend of mine has been running Wolf 100 gr. versus two high dollar brass case loadings and the chrono is saying the Wolf is several hundred feet per second faster as well as has farther ejection patterns out of his 6.5G AR.

My 7.62x39 ASC 30 rounders run perfectly....I just hate the goofy shape. That said, I trust them....the Unimags I'm not 100% certain about...they are close to being 100%...but close isn't really good enough for a self defense rifle. For me, they are expensive range toys for now. I'm seriously considering the 20 round ASCs to see if those work as well as my 30s....but I just hate losing 1/3rd of capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    I'm seriously considering the 20 round ASCs to see if those work as well as my 30s....but I just hate losing 1/3rd of capacity.
    But, you have multiple XCR's right? Carry more than one, all loaded with 20s. Win!
    Sean K. likes this.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    But, you have multiple XCR's right? Carry more than one, all loaded with 20s. Win!
    LOL...true. I have 2 X39s....

Man, I'm slipping...that was an obvious solution!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    The inventor is a Chinese mainland national right? Because of COVID he might be caught up in VISA problems. That might explain the lack of communication or tech support.

Price appears to be back to $19.99.
    Yeah...I NEVER got any response when I tried to warranty 7 or so bad mags. I ordered 7 more and disputed the charges. Not a peep from them about the dispute. Odd way to get your parts warrantied, but it was the only way to get service.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsors