Unimag 7.62x39 & 6.5G Review - Page 3
Like Tree8Likes
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Unimag 7.62x39 & 6.5G Review

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Yeah...I NEVER got any response when I tried to warranty 7 or so bad mags. I ordered 7 more and disputed the charges. Not a peep from them about the dispute. Odd way to get your parts warrantied, but it was the only way to get service.
    To me it sounds like a failed business trying to clear out stock.
    Sean K. likes this.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    To me it sounds like a failed business trying to clear out stock.
    Yep...that's what I'm thinking as well....

Which I don't know if I should throw good money after bad and buy some more....But I have 22 now that work....so I'm kind of thinking I'd rather get the 20 round ASCs to try out.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

I'm in the market for a 7.62x39 XCR, so it's good to see that they appear to run in the XCR. Here's a low budget video that I made of shooting 7.62x39 through my M16 using the RZE Unimags. Skip to 4:41 if you just want to see the shooting.
    fmunk likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

The new order for 19 RZE Unimags that I placed came in. Interestingly, the floor plates are in the white. The finish on the magazine bodies appears to be a little weak and spotty, but is otherwise ok. The floor plates are marked with two different numbers which I'm guessing are dates. One is 831-16 and the other is 05-6-18. In inserted one of each in my Tactical Machining 7.62x39 AR15 build and the same in my Windham Weaponry 7.62x39 factory built rifle. All locked in, held the bolt back and dropped free without issue. I'll test them this weekend hopefully.

I ran the two above magazines through my M16A1 with Windham Weaponry 7.62x39 upper on it. There were 25rds twice through each magazine for a total of 100rds. Everything functioned 100%.

You ordered 19 mags but you only tested 2?
    fmunk likes this.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Yes. The ones that I've been using from a previous batch all run 100%. There were magazines that appear to be from two different batches in this shipment. In order to really thoroughly test a magazine, how many rounds do you think that you'd have to put through it? For me it's several hundred to be completely confident, but fifty makes me pretty confident. If I just put 2x25=50 through all 19, then it would take almost a full case of 7.62x39, not to mention all the wear on my rifles. Plus, it just wouldn't be that fun. I'll continue to shoot these two as the opportunity presents itself. I'll also break out a couple more from this batch once I'm completely confident in the first two. If these four prove themselves over time, I don't think there's any reason to take the rest out of their original factory sealed packaging. I literally have several one hundred magazine cases of regular metal USGI magazines that I've never opened. I just use a few from the same batch and they've proven themselves enough that I can be confident in the rest of the magazines from the same batch. The same holds for multiple other types of magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Yes. The ones that I've been using from a previous batch all run 100%. There were magazines that appear to be from two different batches in this shipment. In order to really thoroughly test a magazine, how many rounds do you think that you'd have to put through it? For me it's several hundred to be completely confident, but fifty makes me pretty confident. If I just put 2x25=50 through all 19, then it would take almost a full case of 7.62x39, not to mention all the wear on my rifles. Plus, it just wouldn't be that fun. I'll continue to shoot these two as the opportunity presents itself. I'll also break out a couple more from this batch once I'm completely confident in the first two. If these four prove themselves over time, I don't think there's any reason to take the rest out of their original factory sealed packaging. I literally have several one hundred magazine cases of regular metal USGI magazines that I've never opened. I just use a few from the same batch and they've proven themselves enough that I can be confident in the rest of the magazines from the same batch. The same holds for multiple other types of magazines.

Wasn't trying to bust your balls....

Just letting you know I bought 29 of the Unimags and had trouble with 7 of them, IIRC. They wouldn't drop free or were a very tight fit on a couple different AR lowers and XCRs. They also had feeding issues.

I wouldn't have known if I didn't test them all. But I totally agree, not only is testing full mags expensive....it can be tedious. And I agree that several hundred rounds would be enough to get a good idea of reliability but 2 full loadings should show you potential QC defects...and in my case, they did.

JMO, of course...but a USGI 5.56 mag is a lot more tested and proven than these one of "unimags"...which is why I was testing all of them.

YMMV...and my way isn't the only way.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Just letting you know I bought 29 of the Unimags and had trouble with 7 of them, IIRC. They wouldn't drop free or were a very tight fit on a couple different AR lowers and XCRs.
    I'm curious if the markings on your mags that wouldn't drop free were all the same and the ones that would drop free were different. Or, did some mags with the same markings drop free while others didn't? Were the ones that wouldn't drop free also the ones that had feeding issues or did some that would drop free have feeding issues? Were/are any of the markings the same as pictured above? Sorry for so many questions. I'm an engineer and like to track down every possible variable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I'm curious if the markings on your mags that wouldn't drop free were all the same and the ones that would drop free were different. Or, did some mags with the same markings drop free while others didn't? Were the ones that wouldn't drop free also the ones that had feeding issues or did some that would drop free have feeding issues? Were/are any of the markings the same as pictured above? Sorry for so many questions. I'm an engineer and like to track down every possible variable.
    Same lot....there are numbers/letters on the sides of the mag bodies....I don't know that you can go off the floor plate dates, JFYI. The mag body dimensions were the problem in my instance.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsors