Unimag 7.62x39 & 6.5G Review
Like Tree1Likes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unimag 7.62x39 & 6.5G Review

Unimag 7.62x39 & 6.5G Review

So I picked up some of these on sale, pretty interesting concept. They have a two piece tilting follower that allows the magazine body to keep the typical GI mag shape. They advertise a 25 round capacity in 7.62 and 24 rounds in 6.5G.

I'll be doing a few tests with these, mostly with 7.62 and 6.5G. My first test was cut a bit short because it was so cold out. WIP

Test 1:
    Rifles & Conditions: Test with an XCR 7.62x39 & an AR w/ PSA 18" 6.5G upper. -10F

I loaded up 10 of the mags to capacity. Mags 1-7 & 9 were loaded with 25rds of 7.62, mags 8&10 with 6.5G. LULA makes an AR15 7.62 loader now, which made loading these much easier. The spring tension when hand loading does get pretty tight once you get past 20 rounds, but the LULA makes it easy. I made sure all of the rounds were inserted to the rear of the magazine. I loaded this first batch all by hand, further tests will be done with the LULA. These mags don't cut you like the ASC/C Products mags tend to.

I loaded 125 rounds of Wolf steel case, 75 rounds of S&B Steel case (the really hot military surplus stuff), and 25 rounds of Ukrainian brass. All fed & functioned. On the first mag I started on gas setting 1 which functioned fine and BHO worked, but it was only throwing the shells like 3ft. Switched to gas 2 for the remainder of the test. For the most part they were boringly reliable. I didn't notice any rounds diving in the magazines or other strange hang-ups you see with the ASC/Cproduct mags. Bonus is they don't cut your hands when your loading either.

I did have one small issue. I tend to slam the mags into battery out of habit, and on a couple of reloads the first round popped out of the mag. After I noticed this I started being a little gentler with my insertions and didn't see this again.

Unfortunately the 6.5 AR was under-gassed for the conditions, and it was too F'ing cold to mess with the gas block. The bolt wasn't cycling back far enough to pickup the next round from the magazine, or engage the BHO. I didn't bring any Elanders to see if it was a gun or mag problem, but manually cycling the bolt picked up the next round just fine. I'll adjust the gas a bit and see if I can get this thing running a little better with these mags. Hopefully before then I'll have my 6.5 barrel from RA so I won't need the AR for further testing...

I'll probably order another set of 10 since they are on sale. $21 is too hard to pass up for a decent 7.62 mag that doesn't cut you like an angry crack fiend. More range reports + photos to follow.

Nice

Where are they $21?

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

They are $19.99 from Ross Defense Systems direct right now.

That said, I'm having a few issues with the ones I bought in their "inventory reduction" sale...maybe they have known quality issues, but they aren't dropping free like the other 11 mags I have...(at least the 8 I tested). Haven't yet had time to really flesh it all out yet or contact the company. My understanding is they will replace mags that aren't dropping free.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Is there a code? I'm showing 25.99

Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    Is there a code? I'm showing 25.99
    No code...price must've gone back up. Just checked...yep...$26. It was good on Saturday, IIRC. I thought about buying more over the weekend, but decided against it since I'm really buying it for X39 and I already have 22 of them for my 2 XCRs in X39. I figure worst case, I'll buy ASC or ELanders at $15-20 on sale for the 6.5G.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Well, so far the customer service from Ross Defense Systems sucks.

Sent an email on Tuesday. No response. Contacted via their website on Thursday...no response.

Guess I'll call next week.

*EDIT* Thought I'd call today and leave a message.

https://rossdefensesystems.com/pages/contact-us

Well....low and behold, the phone number doesn't work.

Not a good sign.

Guess a business model charging $45 a mag might not be sustainable.
    Last edited by Sean K.; 02-01-2020 at 01:23 PM.

I sent an email to them about a week ago and didn't hear anything back from them either.

Was it warranty related?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Guess a business model charging $45 a mag might not be sustainable.
    Unless you're FN. K-USA is charging $45 per mag for their Vityaz clone, yet no one seem to be complaining... which I find a little odd.
    Sean K. likes this.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors