Chasing corrosive with non-corrosive - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chasing corrosive with non-corrosive

Re: Chasing corrosive with non-corrosive

Quote Originally Posted by acco View Post
    Windex isn't really necessary with corrosive primers, it's the water in the Windex that breaks down the salts- not the ammonia as many people think.
    As far as shooting corrosive, I usually fire 5 rounds of non-corrosive first to ensure that the base layer of filth will be safe, then all the corrosive I want, then 5 rounds non-corrosive to blow the rest out. I also clean after with boiling water and a bit of dish soap (just funnel it down the barrel fresh from a kettle), and then it evaporates quickly, followed by a quick wipe and some oil- which has not caused any rust.
    I do the same thing with my 5.45 AK's. No problems with corrosion yet, although I did have one that corroded after I let it sit too long. I keep hearing about Ballistol, but the hot soapy water method works plenty well, so I am probably going to keep doing that.

I have no corrosive 7.62 x39, and don't have an XCR in that caliber, but I'm considering getting both. The cheap Yugo ammo would be nice to have. I just don't want to invest in yet another magazine type. If I get a 7.62 x 39 kit, I'll want at least 10 good mags, too. I'm so deep into AK's at this point, and have so many mags for them, it just seems smarter for me to stick with them, or buy another AK for the price of the conversion kit.

Plus, you know the steel bodied mags for the AK are very robust and will function as advertised.
    Semper Fidelis

I just don't want to invest in yet another magazine type. If I get a 7.62 x 39 kit, I'll want at least 10 good mags, too. I'm so deep into AK's at this point, and have so many mags for them, it just seems smarter for me to stick with them, or buy another AK for the price of the conversion kit.
    That's pretty much where I'm at right now too.Another rifle is also more practical too because you have the complete firearm.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse.... A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.----John Stuart Mill

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dont_tread_on_me View Post
    I just don't want to invest in yet another magazine type. If I get a 7.62 x 39 kit, I'll want at least 10 good mags, too. I'm so deep into AK's at this point, and have so many mags for them, it just seems smarter for me to stick with them, or buy another AK for the price of the conversion kit.
    That's pretty much where I'm at right now too.Another rifle is also more practical too because you have the complete firearm.
    Speaking of complete firearms in 7.62 x 39, I need to send in my form 1 for my Draco. It's fun to shoot as a pistol, but it's begging for a buttstock.

I don't use corrosive in my XCR, but other rifles that are simpler to clean, and cheaper to replace if I were to forget for years (which I don't think will happen) and they were to completely rust out.

The one nice thing about the XCR is how easy it is to remove the barrel for cleaning. After a heavy range session with corrosive I just pull the barrel and drop it in the sink.
    Don't confuse enthusiasm for competence

Want more grip for your M&P Pistol? Send me a message.

Jack A Sol

If anything I think the XCR is MORE able to deal with corrosive ammo than other designs. from the aluminum adonizing and chrome plated bore the only thing you really need to pay attention to is the gas block and flash hider.

I cant remember is the gas tube aluminum or steel?

Steel,and would probably be the first place you would get corrosion,and on the inside of it.The upside is that even if it were to rust completely through,it should not affect function at all,and I would think it would be an inexpensive part as well.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse.... A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.----John Stuart Mill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsors