Have heavy 16", want lite 16"

Thread: Have heavy 16", want lite 16"

Have heavy 16", want lite 16"

Hello,

I have a heavy barrel on my XCR with about 750 rds through it. I would like a lite 16" barrel, anyone have one for sale, or ?

TIA

Re: Have heavy 16", want lite 16"

Good luck, maybe someone will have one. If not, you could always get it turned down to the light profile or fluted.

That guy, he said I should be oblong and have my knees removed. But I don't trust him, he plays the banjo.

Send your heavy out to ADCO (adcofirearms.com) for profiling under the handguard and fluting between gas block and muzzle. Weight will come out only a few ounces over light barrel.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

And if you send it to ADCO and have them cut it down to 14.5" (and pin the flash hider) in addition to the fluting, the barrel will weigh less than a standard 16" light barrel.
    Long before I started hemorrhaging money for guns, I was spending like crazy on photo gear....
    Click here to visit my photography web site.

"Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence." - Richard Dawkins

Hello I just bought a xcr three weeks ago, I'm the second owner and the guy who sold it to me seemed pretty honest said it had around 350 rounds through it. He kept his sights so I bought a set and put another 90 round through it. This is my first xcr but I've had many ar's and I've always liked the heavy barrel more than the light. If you want I'd be willing to trade barrels (e-mail me if interested my name is Steve). Now a question for you who know a lot more about these rifles than do I, is there any pro's or con's between these two barrels? I would really appreciate any info, Thanks
    Walking through the waste land formally known as the USA

Not sure what others opinions are but.....

I have a 18.6 heavy contour barrel. In this combination it makes the rifle noticeably heavy, long, and bulky. For faster shooting it is a lot to wield. The XCR is not a light weight rifle to start with, little less then a pound more then a AR15 in similar configurations is what I have noticed.

I would like a lighter weight faster moving rifle and I think most people do which is why the light contour barrels are sought after.

If you spend the extra money and have the heavy barrel dimpled or some other configuration to remove some metal/weight than the Hbar actually aren't much heavier and a heck of a lot cooler looking.
    PDBreske has some really cool photos of some if I remember correctly.

Indeed, I do.

Here's what the heavy barrel looks like after fluting and shortening by ADCO. It's still legal as long as they permanently attach the muzzle device so the length of the barrel+device is 16" or greater.

Underside of pinned flash hider:

Barrel installed. Ignore all that other garbage.

Long before I started hemorrhaging money for guns, I was spending like crazy on photo gear....
    Click here to visit my photography web site.

"Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence." - Richard Dawkins

You also have the choice of 6 flutes instead of 4. And as I mentioned, turning the barrel down to a thinner profile under the handguard, which will reduce even more weight. Will not affect accuracy. There is enough material in the heavy barrel. Turn around time is around 1 week. Dealing with ADCO can't be more painless.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

Sponsors