AR500Armor - Page 3
Like Tree15Likes
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AR500Armor

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Any opinions on getting a curved back plate rather than just a standard flat one? I have curved front/back in my other two carriers....just wondering if there's any difference in comfort if you go flat for a back plate.

***EDIT***From AR500's site:

"The ASC Cut allows improved shoulder movement when worn as a back plate, with minimal coverage loss. We also offer traditional square cut back plates which offer maximum coverage."

Guess that answers the part about shoulder movement; still don't know if you need the curve or not.
    Depends on your carrier and clothing under it. More layers add padding. The curved are nice for moving around. Your spine doesn't dig in but if your sitting in a car all day the sides of the plate will put pressure on your ribs. I still chose the curved myself. The edges are cut at an angle so they shouldn't get in the way of your armpits. I myself had to buy the slightly smaller plates. I'm right in between both sizes. Being smaller they don't hinder my movements.

As a given make sure to measure your chest and back size. It's a must that it covers all the vitals. If the small ones hadn't I would have gone with the larger plates and delt with the size. Granted that is if they offer different sizes.

Last but not least don't forget side plates! Not a must but nice to have.

Good luck!
    Last edited by arcwolf6; 04-20-2014 at 11:34 PM.
    Arcwolf6

Ryan B.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    I've owned a couple of businesses in the past. The dream, Salma Hayek...well, you get the idea. The reality, Rosanne Barr... But I appreciate the encouragement. This time it's a bit different. This time it's passion.

I'm fifty and I just can't embrace another 20 years of writing nonsense software. I write low-level systems crap that is basically for making the damn computers function. Don't get me wrong, it's been interesting because the tech evolves so rapidly. I'm just fed up, solving the same damn problems that I solved 20 years ago. It's kind of like Groundhog Day but the scenery changes.

I'm crawling for now, but the intention is to run. The goal is to design and build weapon systems.

Not that I don't want your business, but considering AR500Armor is in your neighborhood, you may be able to better, considering shipping. I will do everything I can to make you the best deal I can. If you're not in a huge hurry, I'll hand deliver it when I am out that way.

I may try to get into a Gunsite course while out there, but I haven't looked into yet. My Sheriff is a Gunsite instructor. Sadly, Indiana law limits him to two terms and his time is up. His second in command is running and has my support. At minimum, I'm going to hit a range while out there.
    Meh...shipping vs. tax...I'd rather pay shipping.
    TexasChris likes this.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

I've placed an order for a variety of carriers and plates and a couple of the med kits. The dealer agreement required me to make a minimum initial order. It looks like a 3-4 week lead. I've ordered both a flat and curved back plate so I can try them out and see what I think.
    "Don't Tread On Me!"
    -- (reiterated without permission) Rich Hornay

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    I've placed an order for a variety of carriers and plates and a couple of the med kits. The dealer agreement required me to make a minimum initial order. It looks like a 3-4 week lead. I've ordered both a flat and curved back plate so I can try them out and see what I think.
    I'm pretty sure I'm going curved front and back again...."go with what you know", and all that.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Mechanic,
    Any updates? Help an ignorant fellow out. How is the weight on these AR500 plates versus ceramic. They seem to have a pretty high rating. How do they hold up compared to ceramic? How do they compare for price? What about the two coatings? what is the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by mjorin View Post
    Mechanic,
    Any updates? Help an ignorant fellow out. How is the weight on these AR500 plates versus ceramic. They seem to have a pretty high rating. How do they hold up compared to ceramic? How do they compare for price? What about the two coatings? what is the difference?
    I did get some in, though I haven't had time to do much with them. I'll weigh the carrier plus front and back plates as soon as I have a moment.
    From all of the test vids I've seen, they stand up to multiple 308 hits from close range.

Honestly, they're heavy. I would like to see how they hold up to the Russian 7.62x39 steel jacketed rounds and the new M855A1s.

I got 8x10 and 11x14 plates with the buildup. The build up costs more, but catching frags in the throat seems worse. The price is reasonable (I can do a bit better than their site). What I really want is Dragon Skin, but it's about 10 times the cost.
    "Don't Tread On Me!"

DKX Armor - Advanced Manufacturing of Body Armor

Any thoughts on this? A plate weight 20oz. and is rated level IIIA. I realize that this is only pistol rated, but 20oz. is fantastic and it looks like it sells for about $170.
    Last edited by mjorin; 06-23-2014 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mjorin View Post
    DKX Armor - Advanced Manufacturing of Body Armor

Any thoughts on this? A plate weight 20oz. and is rated level IIIA. I realize that this is only pistol rated, but 20oz. is fantastic and it looks like it sells for about $170.
    It certainly seems interesting. If you're only looking for pistol level protection, there are probably better options (more coverage).

Body armor is kind of like insurance. One begrudges the cost and imposed restrictions until that brief moment when it pays off. My buddy picked up one of the 11x14 plates and said "f' that, I'll just hide behind something". Kind of funny actually, he's a big dude. I'll pay the upfront costs (gold/weight), but with the prevalence of rounds that can penetrate AR500 and only center-mass protection, the policy certainly has limitations.
    "Don't Tread On Me!"

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsors