WTB 5.45 conversion
Like Tree1Likes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB 5.45 conversion

WTB 5.45 conversion

I've finally picked up a 5.45 AK and I'm now interested in finding a 5.45x39 conversion for a reasonable price. If someone is looking to get rid of their barrel and bolt then please let me know. My lower is SBR'd so no worries if the barrel is a little on the shorter end. Thanks for your consideration.

I'd hold off on the 5.45 conversion. Robarms is redesigning the chamber. Unless you're ok shooting non surplus ammo.

Paul

Paul,I'd heard about the redesign but didn't get much detail. Is the surplus Ammo the problem? I've been shooting silver bear mostly and its shot great. I'd heard about the wear problem and had assumed it was commercial Ammo.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

I've had it rupture the case and blow out the bottom of my maq. It looks like a lazer cut the rim off, it's that clean. I thought it was thin walled steel. I've tried a few brands. The thicker the walls the better. It's just dangerous. I was told to stop shooting it. I have 7k rounds of the Red Star stuff. I've tried tuna can stuff as well. It's the shape of the chamber. It's not tight enough around the rear of the cartridge. I had thousands of rounds work fine. I had 3 blow up on me.

Sorry, I thought it was common knowledge Silly me.

Paul
    Merlin likes this.

I hadn't heard anything before earlier this year. Alex said they were looking to redesign the chamber and said they'd had the issue you were talking about pop up a few times after a few thousand rounds. I didn't get anymore detail than that.

I've not had an issue but I've only got a couple hundred rounds through both of my barrels. It's all been silver bear so far.

edit is freezing again on me. This forum is hella buggy.

I didn't have any problems until adding a can. I still had the problem after removing the can. The bolt ALWAYS stayed in battery. Pogo or shell extracter afterwards. Bye bye ASC mag.

Quote Originally Posted by SLCXCR View Post
    I've had it rupture the case and blow out the bottom of my maq. It looks like a lazer cut the rim off, it's that clean. I thought it was thin walled steel. I've tried a few brands. The thicker the walls the better. It's just dangerous. I was told to stop shooting it. I have 7k rounds of the Red Star stuff. I've tried tuna can stuff as well. It's the shape of the chamber. It's not tight enough around the rear of the cartridge. I had thousands of rounds work fine. I had 3 blow up on me.

Sorry, I thought it was common knowledge Silly me.

Paul
    Thanks for the warning, Paul....this is the first I've even heard of it.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

I don't think it had anything to do with SBR or the Can. Alex said to hold off for the fix. He explained it much better than I could. I have the ripped casing somewhere. Like I said, it stayed in battery. Illustrating the great design. I would have been in trouble on an AR.

Is there a recall on them or anything? Didnt see anything in the 5.45 forum or on Robarm website
    Freedom is all in your head

I can't speak for RobArms on recalls or replacements. I have thousands of rounds through mine. I got one of the first ones when the price of ammo was super low. It's a great cartridge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors