Dyneema plates on sale - Page 2
Like Tree14Likes
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dyneema plates on sale

HA!
    The way I look at it, anyone that can afford a M60 - much less the ammo to feed it - should be able to buy ANYTHING they want in a "purpose-stylized ruck"!

A buddy of Crash and I lives close to them, he went in and tried on carriers for a while. Wound up walking out of there a lot lighter in the billfold LOL! But from what I understand, their carriers are supposed to be THE bomb! A little more than what I feel comfortable paying though - I'm really happy with my Ares Derma. At least so far.....

On the steel plates, I've had the same gripe about them all, regardless of manufacture: M193 at close range, from a 20" barrel, will punch through them. The way I see it, the AR15 - in all variants, including the 20+" - is incredibly popular in amirika today. And what's typically the cheapest ammo at chinamart? 55 grain FMJ. Might not be true M193, but it's danged close enough. The LAST thing I want to leave as a vulnerability is the cheapest, widely-available ammo, in an incredibly popular rifle - knowing my luck, some bubba would pop me center mass and I'd take the round AND the steel plug it punched out.

Maingun Military Surplus (the guys that make the plates out of milspec armor plating) claim that they're coming out with one that solves the M193 problem. If so, good on them! But their plates, uncoated, are still more expensive than the ceramics you linked to.

So for me, I'm going to want something that stops "incredibly common" threats. That includes stuff like Brown Bear 7.62 Soviet, etc, as well - which leads me to ceramics or UHDPE.

FWIW, my ceramic side plates came from SKD - I like dealing with them.
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

DSM
    Quote Originally Posted by Trip5896 View Post
    Haha, sorry Bravo...I have a couple buddies who have cost me tens of thousands of dollars since I've known them on guns and gear I would've never even known existed if not for their blasted meddling!

Yeah, Tyr irritates me with all that notarized affidavit crap. They're the same company that won't let me buy one of their absurdly overpriced MICO Quiver of Death ammo backpacks for 4 grand because they're restricted to gov only. I guess the NFA crap and FBI background check I had to go thru to get my transferable M60 doesn't quite go far enough for them to qualify me for a backpack with a metal ammo can and feed chute.

On another note, has anybody seen or have first hand experience with the new AR680 steel body armor plates SKD Tactical was hawking a few months ago?
    Have you seen this one?
    Feed Chute Pack
    Trip5896 likes this.
    When have any of our plans ever actually worked? We plan, we get there, all hell breaks loose.

Quote Originally Posted by DSM View Post
    Have you seen this one?
    Feed Chute Pack
    Drool...

Wow, from what I can see, the design looks even better than Tyr's! It appears to be an assault pack as well as being an ammo carrier. That's got Tyr beat hands down if I'm right and their price point isn't geared toward ripping off taxpayer dollars lol.

Thanks for the heads up!

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

DSM
    Quote Originally Posted by Trip5896 View Post
    Drool...

Wow, from what I can see, the design looks even better than Tyr's! It appears to be an assault pack as well as being an ammo carrier. That's got Tyr beat hands down if I'm right and their price point isn't geared toward ripping off taxpayer dollars lol.

Thanks for the heads up!
    If you get hold of one you have to yell "Get out of my house!" after the first burst. Just because, ya know, for practice.
    Trip5896 likes this.
    When have any of our plans ever actually worked? We plan, we get there, all hell breaks loose.

Quote Originally Posted by DSM View Post
    If you get hold of one you have to yell "Get out of my house!" after the first burst. Just because, ya know, for practice.
    Exactly my sentiments heh.

That pack would make for some good times in the event of a runaway gun or cookoff if you still had a decent amount of ammo left.

For what it's worth, the TYR plates came in today. Actually they've set in the post office since Saturday, because I didn't get a tracking number - didn't check it on Saturday.

They didn't require that stupid affidavit, I never sent one in.

They're Paraclete model LCTT-IV, 10"X13" single curves.

Not bad on weight, but not III+ UHDPE either. But for well under 200 bones delivered, I had to squeeze the trigger on them!

Sorry about that Nate, this was the spare parts cash for the month

I went back to look at the TYR website this morning, to get their phone number (I thought they hadn't sent them out because I didn't send in their stupid affidavit thing) - I couldn't find the offer any more, so I'm guessing they're sold out.
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsors