Desert Tech - SRS-A1, SRS-A1 Covert, HTI - Page 2
Like Tree130Likes
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Desert Tech - SRS-A1, SRS-A1 Covert, HTI

Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    What I figured. I'd have to move north from the wife if I bought one.
    Plenty of fish in the sea... ?
    TexasChris likes this.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

No, they are not the least expensive way to put rounds down range, but then, I don't drive a Yugo either. Precision shooting is not an inexpensive sport to say the least. Besides, you can't put a $3000+ scope on just anything!

You want to see expensive, check out these shotguns.
    "Don't Tread On Me!"
    -- (reiterated without permission) Rich Hornay

Yes, the SRS are not cheap. But, on par with other precision bolt guns (Surgeon, GAP, etc.). The glass in the picture is just a Weaver FFP 3-15x on a ADM 20 MOA mount. It'll do for now.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

As previously mentioned, I'm no marksmen. I tried my best and came away thinking this rifle will make anyone look good/better. Friday morning in the desert NW of Ocotillo, CA started warm in the high 80s with pleasant gusts of wind from behind right to blistering mid 90s with no wind by the time we had to pack out and to get back into San Diego in time for an odd job.

Ammunition used for these two 100 yd groups was Freedom Munitions' remanufactured 168 gr. A-Max. PPU 168 gr. FMJBT was also used and yielded similar results. I had thought to try 147 gr ZQI/MKE M80, but ultimately forgot to put some in my ammo box the night before.

The pasted on Shoot-n-See dot is 3/4" in diameter. The table was a plastic Walmart folding table, which didn't provide much traction for the Atlas bipod. The 5 mph gusts was probably a factor too. The Weaver scope worked well, but heat waves coming off the ground was quite visible and distorted sight picture.

I had some issues using the integrated monopod that is built into the stock. And maybe it was a case of user error. Using the macro adjustment I could cinch the micro adjustment collar up tight against the stock, but couldn't get the right elevation. Using the micro adjustment collar I could get the reticle aligned, but there was quite a bit of slop which allowed the monopod to shift around within the stock. I ended up using the monopod as a grip with my left hand to keep it from shifting around and to push the stock firmly into my shoulder.

Ringing a 6" round gong at 200 yd was easy as pie with very consistent POI.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Desert Tech - SRS-A1, SRS-A1 Covert, HTI-img_3133.jpg   Desert Tech - SRS-A1, SRS-A1 Covert, HTI-img_3134.jpg  
    Last edited by fmunk; 05-29-2016 at 09:21 PM.
    Bravo and Mechanic like this.

Roughly 1 MOA for a first outing sounds promising ;-)

I'd bet that if you lay in the dirt and run it like it's meant to run, you'll cut the group at least in half.

I have no idea how Freedom Arms loads their ammo, but that 168 AMAX is a great bullet. If my -M would run it, I'd have switched over to it long ago.
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo View Post

I'd bet that if you lay in the dirt and run it like it's meant to run, you'll cut the group at least in half.

I have no idea how Freedom Arms loads their ammo, but that 168 AMAX is a great bullet. If my -M would run it, I'd have switched over to it long ago.
    Yes, if I had a more stable platform to shoot from (and figure out the monopod), I have no doubt the groups would be tighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo View Post

Haven't shot a ton of the freedom but I've had mixed results with it out of the same platform and not great results out of the M.

My 700 did a 3 shot group on top of each other at 100yds. Same rifle was 1.5-2" with the same ammo during a different session. I believe it was from the same lot as well.

Haven't tried it in the M after the adjusment. I never had an issue with it feeding in the M though.

By no means conclusive, just my experience.

Nice! For a first time effort, I'd say that's pretty darned good! If I ever actually get the scope, I'll take out the SRS-A1 .308 with 26" barrel and some DT premium match ammo and see if I can hit anything. Once I get it tuned in and have the can on it, I'll visit a few ranges around Indiana and show off!

I think I'll do a custom Cerekote job on it as well. I'm not sure yet exactly what look I want, but my buddy has been doing some hydro-dip jobs on some white-tail racks that are pretty cool.

BTW fmunk, if you want to switch out the fore end to covert length, I can do that for you. Let me know if you're interested and I'll get some pricing together.
    "Don't Tread On Me!"
    -- (reiterated without permission) Rich Hornay

Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    I never had an issue with it feeding in the M though.

By no means conclusive, just my experience.
    Actually, that's what it should be. Alex figured out what was making the plastic-tip ammo not feed right, and fixed it on subsequent barrels. Unfortunately, mine being an early model, I don't have that upgrade. And since part of the cure requires removal of the barrel extension - and they can't get removed extensions to go back on well - I'm kinda outta luck on mine.
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    BTW fmunk, if you want to switch out the fore end to covert length, I can do that for you. Let me know if you're interested and I'll get some pricing together.
    I'm good on the fore end. I could use a spare long picatinny though. Can't find it anywhere. DTA really should use metal instead of polymer. Any thoughts on the monopod? Seems if they'd just add a sleeve to take up the slop, problem would be solved.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Sponsors