WTB XCR L Buried Gas Block
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By navalbeaver
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: WTB XCR L Buried Gas Block

  1. #1
    Newbie Kiran04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    7

    WTB XCR L Buried Gas Block

    11" barrel, 5.56. What's the going rate on an XCR in this configuration?
    Last edited by Kiran04; 01-06-2021 at 10:57 AM.

  2. #2
    XCR Guru Sean K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    21,931
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiran04 View Post
    11.5" barrel, 5.56. What's the going rate on an XCR in this configuration?
    11.5" isn't going to be a buried gas block. It will be an exposed one if you go with a standard length upper with a standard gas system length.....and it'll be an 11" bbl most likely unless you go custom. 9" bbl in a standard length upper with a mini length gas system will give you a buried gas block. If you really want buried block on a 11.5....you can custom order with RobArms, but you'll need a mini length gas system and 11.5" bbl, in what I'd assume, is a standard length upper. Not sure RA will even do that combo and no idea on cost....but I'd bet wait time would be significant.

    You could do a custom upper that you'd have to make yourself with a buried block if you went with a comp length upper, standard gas system and a 12" bbl....but you're going to have to cut the excess length on the comp upper, then have it re-anodized or cerakoted. It would look cool (almost did this on a 6.5G), but it would be a lot of added expense and work and you could fuck it up.

    As for cost....go to Rob Arm's website for the MSRP. Contact Navalbeaver or Gramps96Kz here for pricing as well. I think factory pricing for the standard length uppers are in the $2100 range currently with a lengthy wait time of at least 12 weeks.
    Last edited by Sean K.; 01-06-2021 at 07:28 AM.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

  3. #3
    Newbie Kiran04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    11.5" isn't going to be a buried gas block. It will be an exposed one if you go with a standard length upper with a standard gas system length.....and it'll be an 11" bbl most likely unless you go custom. 9" bbl in a standard length upper with a mini length gas system will give you a buried gas block. If you really want buried block on a 11.5....you can custom order with RobArms, but you'll need a mini length gas system and 11.5" bbl, in what I'd assume, is a standard length upper. Not sure RA will even do that combo and no idea on cost....but I'd bet wait time would be significant.

    You could do a custom upper that you'd have to make yourself with a buried block if you went with a comp length upper, standard gas system and a 12" bbl....but you're going to have to cut the excess length on the comp upper, then have it re-anodized or cerakoted. It would look cool (almost did this on a 6.5G), but it would be a lot of added expense and work and you could fuck it up.

    As for cost....go to Rob Arm's website for the MSRP. Contact Navalbeaver or Gramps96Kz here for pricing as well. I think factory pricing for the standard length uppers are in the $2100 range currently with a lengthy wait time of at least 12 weeks.
    I just go by the options on the website. If you select the buried gas block version, the default barrel is 9" with options at 11, 12, 14.7, 16, and 18.6. 11 is the length I'd opt for if possible. 9 is far too short. Muzzle blast is massive.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    XCR Guru Sean K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    21,931
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiran04 View Post
    I just go by the options on the website. If you select the buried gas block version, the default barrel is 9" with options at 11, 12, 14.7, 16, and 18.6. 11 is the length I'd opt for if possible. 9 is far too short. Muzzle blast is massive.
    Meh...depends on personal preference. I have a 8.3125" in 5.56; it's blasty but not insane. I also have a 9" in x39....one of my favorites.

    Mea culpa, I didn't realize they offered mini-length buried gas with standard length uppers with that many bbl options. Not sure why you'd bury the block on an 11.5" unless you just like the buried look better. Gas adjustment is much easier with the exposed block, but I do prefer the look of the buried ones.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

  6. #5
    XCR Guru navalbeaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Posts
    2,439
    Mini gas position in a standard upper is going to be hard to adjust. You'll have to get to it from the front. I'm assuming they'd use the "blackout" gas system in a standard upper so you can reach the block for adjustment. That's going to be worse for pressure/dwell time, especially if you run a can. Not saying it won't run but I'll always take the longer gas system.

    I'd go with the exposed block for the 11 but it's America so get whatever you can afford
    Sean K. likes this.

  7. #6
    XCR Guru Sean K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    21,931
    Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    Mini gas position in a standard upper is going to be hard to adjust. You'll have to get to it from the front. I'm assuming they'd use the "blackout" gas system in a standard upper so you can reach the block for adjustment. That's going to be worse for pressure/dwell time, especially if you run a can. Not saying it won't run but I'll always take the longer gas system.

    I'd go with the exposed block for the 11 but it's America so get whatever you can afford
    You can get at the dial with a bullet tip on the mini gas position in a standard upper. It's not easy like the exposed...but is doable. But you're right; comparatively, it's hard to adjust.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

  8. #7
    Newbie Kiran04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    Mini gas position in a standard upper is going to be hard to adjust. You'll have to get to it from the front. I'm assuming they'd use the "blackout" gas system in a standard upper so you can reach the block for adjustment. That's going to be worse for pressure/dwell time, especially if you run a can. Not saying it won't run but I'll always take the longer gas system.

    I'd go with the exposed block for the 11 but it's America so get whatever you can afford
    In this market I'll take what I can get. Have one of these laying around with the 11" in any gas block configuration? If exposed works better, that's fine with me.

  9. #8
    XCR Guru Sean K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    21,931
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiran04 View Post
    In this market I'll take what I can get. Have one of these laying around with the 11" in any gas block configuration? If exposed works better, that's fine with me.
    I doubt anyone has much of anything XCR-wise laying around in terms of new stock. Might be someone looking to sell a used one though.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

  10. #9
    XCR Guru fmunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kahleefonia
    Posts
    3,268
    Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    Mini gas position in a standard upper is going to be hard to adjust. You'll have to get to it from the front. I'm assuming they'd use the "blackout" gas system in a standard upper so you can reach the block for adjustment. That's going to be worse for pressure/dwell time, especially if you run a can. Not saying it won't run but I'll always take the longer gas system.

    I'd go with the exposed block for the 11 but it's America so get whatever you can afford

    Yup. Pointless to have an adjustable gas system if you have to jump through hoops to get at it.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •