SOLD: Robinson Armament XCR-L 5.56 NATO - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: SOLD: Robinson Armament XCR-L 5.56 NATO

Re: WTS: Robinson Armament XCR-L 5.56 NATO

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Got the gun today, went straight from the FFL dealer to the range (my only opportunity to go there, I'm not a member) no time to RTFM first.

My impressions:

I really like this gun. It is tremendously ergonomic and comfortable. No sights on it yet (they come tomorrow), just wanted to start trying the cheap ammo in it during my 7 day warranty period. It was 96 degrees today, so it was hot out.

The gun is a blast to shoot and easy to control. I had some failure to fires while starting out new mags, but after reading the manual, I am pretty sure it was operator error. I had a failure to feed, and a double feed as well. Not sure about those.

I'll be back out on the range again tomorrow after the optics come in, and with my new found understanding of proper charging and forward assist protocols. I'll also turn down the gas too, as I was throwing empties about 20+ feet with is set on 3.

We'll see how it's doing tomorrow.
    Double feeds are usually a mag issue....not always, but usually.

What do you mean you had failures to fire? Do you mean, you pulled the trigger with a round in the chamber and it didn't go bang? Or, did you have failures to load/feed, and you dropped the hammer on an empty chamber?

Sean
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Rob

Well, I have narrowed down the failure to fire as a failure to load from the mag. And I have further narrowed it to a specific pmag 20 rounder, so I am no longer worried about that.

I went out last night and got through about 150 rounds, and when using the one good pmag I have, I had exactly one malfunction, a failure to eject.

If I'm not mistaken, this may be a gas setting issue? I had the gas set to 3, and the rifle is dirty. I am shooting brown bear.

My understanding is that I should be able to relieve this problem of FTE with either a cleaning, or turning up the gas. Is this a reasonable understanding?

I'm gonna turn up the gas to 4 and go through 200 more rounds this weekend.

I will say this: I love this gun. I mounted the EOTech and Vortex 3x magnifier before yesterday's session, dialed in the EOTech with a bore laser, and shot some nice groups around the bull (at short range, I was at an indoor range). I can't shoot well enough to tell if it is properly dialed in, as there was not a bench shooting option at the range, but it seemed close, and target acquisition was fast with the eotech, even with the magnifier. This gun is way more fun than the AK-47 that dragged me into this hobby.

Well, I have narrowed down the failure to fire as a failure to load from the mag. And I have further narrowed it to a specific pmag 20 rounder, so I am no longer worried about that.

I went out last night and got through about 150 rounds, and when using the one good pmag I have, I had exactly one malfunction, a failure to eject.

If I'm not mistaken, this may be a gas setting issue? I had the gas set to 3, and the rifle is dirty. I am shooting brown bear.

My understanding is that I should be able to relieve this problem of FTE with either a cleaning, or turning up the gas. Is this a reasonable understanding?

I'm gonna turn up the gas to 4 and go through 200 more rounds this weekend.

I will say this: I love this gun. I mounted the EOTech and Vortex 3x magnifier before yesterday's session, dialed in the EOTech with a bore laser, and shot some nice groups around the bull (at short range, I was at an indoor range). I can't shoot well enough to tell if it is properly dialed in, as there was not a bench shooting option at the range, but it seemed close, and target acquisition was fast with the eotech, even with the magnifier. This gun is way more fun than the AK-47 that dragged me into this hobby.
    Did it leave a spent casing in the chamber when you say it failed to "eject", or it pulled the spent case out of the chamber but it got stuck in the ejection port?

Turning up the gas MAY solve your problem, but even without cleaning, you shouldn't be having ejection/extraction issues (unless you shot a LOT more rounds in your first outing). I'm guessing you have the familiar tight chamber if you're having any problem with extraction.

How many rounds have you put through the gun now without cleaning?

Sean

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Rob

The gun arrived uncleaned, so I am unsure how many have been put through since the last cleaning. I have shot about 350 rounds at this point.

I am not sure what happened exactly, but here's what I observed in a dimly lit range lane:

The trigger was pulled with no shot.
    I removed the cartridge and engaged the safety.
    I pulled back the charging handle and engaged the mechanism that holds back the bolt, and an unfired bullet was lodged in the area in front of the chamber. I pulled it out with my fingers, at which point a spent shell fell out. I thought it had been a double feed at first, but the casing that was blocking the second bullet was empty, and thus was not properly ejected before the next round was loaded.

The gun arrived uncleaned, so I am unsure how many have been put through since the last cleaning. I have shot about 350 rounds at this point.

I am not sure what happened exactly, but here's what I observed in a dimly lit range lane:

The trigger was pulled with no shot.
    I removed the cartridge and engaged the safety.
    I pulled back the charging handle and engaged the mechanism that holds back the bolt, and an unfired bullet was lodged in the area in front of the chamber. I pulled it out with my fingers, at which point a spent shell fell out. I thought it had been a double feed at first, but the casing that was blocking the second bullet was empty, and thus was not properly ejected before the next round was loaded.
    So you had a spent case in the chamber and a failure to feed of a live round?

That's odd that the spent case fell out on it's own. I had a lot of failures like that....but it was only b/c the chamber was too tight and the case had to be removed with a cleaning rod.

IMO, you should have cleaned it before you ever shot it.....but at this point, that's what I'd recommend. How dirty is the rifle? I mean, is it all gunked up or does it just have normal powder residue?

Clean it, lube it and shoot it some more. It should be running Brown Bear on setting 3 (hell, I'd argue it should be running on setting 1 or 2) with no issues with a 16" bbl. If it doesn't run on 3, turn it up to 4, but if it's not running on 3 after being cleaned, I'd say you have some sort of a problem....may be mags, bad ammo or the gun though.

Sean

Rob

I thought I saw a place to leave feedback for transactions on this site. I can't seem to find it. I'd like to leave some positive feedback about this transaction. Ace was a great seller, patient and accomodating and really easy to work with.

Very top, pinned thread in this forum is for feedback.

HTH,
    Sean

Rob

Great, thanks. I thought it had it's own forum.

Sold

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponsors