Mismatched front and rear BUIS!
Like Tree1Likes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mismatched front and rear BUIS!

Mismatched front and rear BUIS!

Hey guys. I have a new-to-me xcr-l 5.56. It had one previous owner who never shot it - I got it via a pawn shop in slc. Guy must have thought it was a crappy rifle cuz he couldn't hit anything with it - I realized today at the range that the F and R are mismatched heights! The front is an MI MCTAR FFG (1/4" taller), the rear is a Matech. Both decent sights, but won't work together. So my question for the forum is, if I were to keep one and swap the other, which would you keep and why? Thanks!

Doesn't really matter which you keep as long as you replace to end up with a matching set. If I had to get rid of one, it would be the Matech rear. Matching conventional MI AR sights are probably easier to sell later. Ultimately, I would get rid of both and replace with Troy Micros as they are shorter and work better (to me) with the XCR. Not all faces and cheek welds being the same, standard AR height sets may work better for some.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

I'd get rid of both, and get the Diamondhead micro sights.
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Sig
    Is it just me, because with the Micro's on the XCR, they were way to low for any type of co-witness with a Aimpoint micro with a mid-height Larue mount, and forget it with a EO-tech. That said, stocks I'm using are not older tube folders.
    If assholes could fly, this place would be JFK international.

Thanks for the input y'all.

Right Sig - it's due to the tube stock.
    I ran that, still got one that Alex cut down for me early on, I just don't run it any more.
    My preference is to run the 1/4" riser on the Magpul CTR stocks, you get a better cheek weld and it sets higher as well.
    I can't help you with the Aimpoint Micro sight, all of mine are the Aimpoint M3, but in the LaRue RAS II mount they're almost perfectly co-witnessed.
    The ONLY down-side I've found with this set-up is that the sights / Aimpoint are too low for me to get on them with a head-mounted NVD on my dominant eye. Higher sights would help in that regard, but that's just me..... Running them on my mnon-dominant eye isn't all that bad.
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

is the mi front sight one of their "gas block height" sights? if so i would get rid of that one. you're not going to find a rear sight that works with it.

with the lower comb on the XCR i have been running a micro and a c3 with the standard mints they come with(no risers at all). I really like the setup that way. downside, you're not going to get any sort of Co witness. you can get a Co witness with the troys and aimpoints if you use a "low" mount from American defense. HK height from Larue should work too. If you remove the spacer on the qrp2 mount that will also Co witness with the troys. the previous setups will provide absolute Co witness.

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    Doesn't really matter which you keep as long as you replace to end up with a matching set. If I had to get rid of one, it would be the Matech rear. Matching conventional MI AR sights are probably easier to sell later. Ultimately, I would get rid of both and replace with Troy Micros as they are shorter and work better (to me) with the XCR. Not all faces and cheek welds being the same, standard AR height sets may work better for some.

Except I'd never buy anything Troy after their recent sell out of civilian gun owners. Diamondhead would get my money now if I were buying micros.
    TexasChris likes this.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    Is it just me, because with the Micro's on the XCR, they were way to low for any type of co-witness with a Aimpoint micro with a mid-height Larue mount, and forget it with a EO-tech. That said, stocks I'm using are not older tube folders.

LaRue has an HK height mount for the Aimpoint T1 size optic. It will cowitness with the micro height sights.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    Troy micros give lower-1/3 cowitness with EOtechs on my XCRs. Perfect, since they're out of the way unless needed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors