"reflex sight" vs. true holo sight? - Page 3
Like Tree17Likes
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "reflex sight" vs. true holo sight?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    With Freedommunitions.com selling 55g XM-193 5.56 for $.32 a round, I see no need to shoot that Tula or Wolf ammo.

5.56 M-193 55 gr. FMJ New
    Except Wolf is a $100 less.

Doc
    Quote Originally Posted by mjorin View Post
    I'm seeing Wolf FMJ at $.24 per round. At that delta I'm going to spend the extra money to get the known quality.
    ““The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge, while an ordinary man takes everything as a blessing or a curse.””

- Carlos Castenada

Quote Originally Posted by mjorin View Post

And that starts to really add up when you're buying thousands of rounds of it.

Personally, I've got a ton of Brown Bear (shot up all the Wolf)....it's pretty decent ammo and runs reliably. The bigger problem is that that bimetal projectiles wear the bbl faster than copper jackets. If this was an AR, I'd say burn through the cheap stuff....since AR bbls are cheap to replace. Now that XCR bbls are around $400....I may convert to buying the brass cased, copper jacket ammo just for increased bbl life.

Now, that said, I only see bimetal markedly wearing bbls if you do a lot of rapid fire shooting. But, who knows....the LuckyGunner article was doing mag dumps. Hard to quantify the wear rates when they weren't tested with more aimed, methodical fire.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

OK, I’m back ;-)

Mjorin – no Sir, I haven’t read that article. I skimmed it just enough to get to the charts (get the ‘short story’), and put it away for reading when I had more time. That hasn’t happened yet HA!

Doesn’t surprise me on the TULA though. I wouldn’t use it if I could get anything better at a decent price. Seriously, that’s all that’s available locally for less than 40 cents per. My big hang up is that I’ve been getting all the 20 round boxes they’d let me every week, thinking that I’d get more loading supplies in and could get some real quality at real savings coming. That’s been my strategy all year so far. And I’ve stocked up a whole bunch of it – I think I’ve got like 3 mags full left LOL!

On the good side, I should have 2500 rounds of 5.56 loaded up next week. Got some supplies in ;-) Benchmark, CCI small rifle primers, my fired Winchester brass, and Hornady 55 grain FMJ’s.

But that TULA (aside from leaving a really hard ring of crap in my gas tube) does fine for stuff like shoot houses. Probably took a year or two off my barrel life though.

A guy has to do what he has to do, just to keep lead flowing down the tube…… that doesn’t mean I like it. I think I feel dirtier than the XCR ;-) One of the guys I shoot with keeps harping on me about running ‘crap ammo’ in a good barrel like that – I can’t say that he’s wrong, but when the choices boil down to “buy crap ammo, spend a fortune, or delay until I can reload”, I chose the latter. Sean is right – if it was an AR, I’d treat it like a dirty, dirty ho, but XCR barrels are a bit too pricy for me to want to do that routinely.

Besides, I can’t hit at range with that rubbish…… that just pisses me off.
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

Doc
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo View Post

Besides, I can’t hit at range with that rubbish…… that just pisses me off.
    That's where I'm at, when we shoot we're from 25 - 640, and everything in between, I like to know what my ammo is going to do.
    ““The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge, while an ordinary man takes everything as a blessing or a curse.””

- Carlos Castenada

If you're running to 640, you gotta have some way to range-find, and some way to drop bullets.
    My opinion, after battling the bullet drop compensators for years, is a target turret in either 1/2 MOA adjustments, or 1 MOA IF I can "split a click".
    But that's just me ;-)
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

At $100 savings per thousand, it wouldn't take long to finance a new barrel.
    TexasChris likes this.

Doc
    I just use the BDC in my ACOG. It's fine for shooting steel silhouettes at that range. I'm realistic about shooting shooting MOA groups at that range.

- Carlos Castenada

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyChryst View Post
    It's all going to come down to personal preference. I went EOTech because I'm cross dominant and my right eye turned red dots into canted dashes.
    I'm not sure this is a cross dominance....could be wrong but I am not cross dominant, and aimpoints look like low left/high right dashes as well....

do I smell a plot twist?
    Do what you've always done, get what you've always got. ----- Have gun. Will travel.

Gotcha.
    As I mentioned before, the bullet drop compensators are good for "energy on target"..... not so good for making a precision shot.
    That having been said, the ACOG is a really great combat optic. I've got one on my desk that I've been trying to motivate myself to send in and get repaired. The thing is, for my tastes, it sets a bit too high on the XCR, and I've quit running the AR platforms.

Just understand that how your ammo and that ACOG will interface is dependent on things such as altitude, humidity, etc.
    Good 'for instance': I had my BDC dialed in 100% on my rifle where I live - the altitude at my range though is higher than Denver, with very low humidity. When I say that I "dialed it in", I mean that I adjusted my powder charge to track the BDC with the right bullet, to the point the bullet wasn't off much at all between 300 and 800, but was right on at 100 and 1000. When I took that same rifle and load combo down in elevation to 1100 feet (in high heat and humidity) I was hitting 20" high at 1K. Full 2 MOA. That BDC wasn't so regulated...... That's a full miss when holding center on a siloughette.

But for energy on target out to "carbine realistic ranges", I do like the ACOGs. And yeah, 600 is carbine realistic in my book.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsors